Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just now, TRon said:

The Loaded channel lads on youtube are doing a series of videos comparing left backs, and they threw in some Croatian lad called Borna Sosa who plays for Stuttgart and has insane attacking credentials. Maybe he's an option.

Not sure I would take them seriously now mind, they seem to think Arsenal will be looking for £40-50m for Tierney, don't know where they pulled that figure from, sounds totally unrealistic.

we were linked with sosa in the summer 

And for the record I don’t want to send 30m to arsenal for their left back with a laundry list of injuries for them to then go and use the 30m to fund a purchase of someone to improve their team. No thank you. 

13 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I’ll trust the experts but arsenal left it to their experts after his bad Celtic record, signed him and it averages out the same.

Comes down to the old definition of insanity at some point.

What your saying here doesn't make sense though does it?

If he had muscle injury problems, then carried them on at Arsenal, then yes he might be more susceptible to them and therefore its a risk. However, from what I'm aware his injuries have either been unrelated niggles, which any player can have, which ultimately comes down to luck or a serious knee problem which he's now had surgery on and presumably is fixed.

This idea that you or me could somehow find some medical issue that the actually experts can't is a bit weird.

Whatever we have thought of, you can pretty much guarantee these doctors will have already thought of. Unless you have a mistrust in science and the medical profession?

If our medical team say "he's had injuries before and he's likely to have similar problems in the future", then fine, we shouldn't touch him.

22 minutes ago, Holloway said:

What are his strengths, I've hardly seen him play

He's good one-on-one, he can cross the ball and he can play left of a back three. If he hadn't had his injuries he'd probably be the best left-back in the league. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

And for the record I don’t want to send 30m to arsenal for their left back with a laundry list of injuries for them to then go and use the 30m to fund a purchase of someone to improve their team. No thank you. 

I think Arsenal are definitely trying to offload Tierney, and I think we are clearly interested, but would have to be the right price.

40m is too much for Tierney mind. He's a fucking left back. [emoji38]

Full backs are the cheapest position on the pitch unless you are Chelsea.

I'd give them 20m plus a bunch of performance/appearance related add ons. 

5 year deal, give Arsenal an extra 2m for every season he plays more then say 22 games. That way, we know we are at least getting our moneys worth out of him.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

5 year deal, give Arsenal an extra 2m for every season he plays more then say 22 games. That way, we know we are at least getting our moneys worth out of him.

Quality ones shouldn't be though, it's one of the most important positions on the pitch. Finding a full-back who can do it both ways would be worth paying the money. Adds so much..

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah, £20-25m sounds about right, maybe could nudge up towards £30m with some appearance clauses and whatnot. Just don't know where these guys are pulling £40-50m fees from, no one will pay that in a million years.

Come on guys, if you want to present as serious commentators on NUFC matters, don't talk shite.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

What your saying here doesn't make sense though does it?

If he had muscle injury problems, then carried them on at Arsenal, then yes he might be more susceptible to them and therefore its a risk. However, from what I'm aware his injuries have either been unrelated niggles, which any player can have, which ultimately comes down to luck or a serious knee problem which he's now had surgery on and presumably is fixed.

This idea that you or me could somehow find some medical issue that the actually experts can't is a bit weird.

Whatever we have thought of, you can pretty much guarantee these doctors will have already thought of. Unless you have a mistrust in science and the medical profession?

If our medical team say "he's had injuries before and he's likely to have similar problems in the future", then fine, we shouldn't touch him.

I don't know how anyone can say he isn't prone to injury. Some people get injured more than others and Tierney is clearly fragile.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

I’d be ecstatic with this deal if we were able to get a reduced initial fee with a bunch of appearance add-ons.

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

we were linked with sosa in the summer 

I remember this. He was also phenomenal at the world cup! Would love that as a sneaky signing. 

I'd be happy with Tierney. When he's fit he's a very well balanced LB who can do basically everything. I'd be excited to see our left wing without Burn needing to be covered so heavily and also stifling the attacking play down that side. I'd love Burn as a 3/4 CB option and as a 2/3 LB option. 

The Sosa issue is I think he’s more of a wing back. Now if Trips was hurt, I’d love to see us “shift” the defense if possible to play a defensive RB and play a Sosa or similar as the LB in the way we play Trippier. 

I'd steer clear of Tierney. Yes he's an obvious upgrade, and as good as we'd expect to get when fit, but I'd say history suggests that more often than not, a consistently poor injury record continues true to form. He would want top end wages making him then difficult to sell to clubs further down the table if the situation carries on or gets worse. The quoted fee is high for someone with his injury record. Something just smells off about the way Arsenal are keen to shift arguably their best left back. They'll know better than anyone and have no other reason to sell him.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

So you’re telling me he’s been fit for a year and injuries might be behind him? 

Sign him up

If its 15 or less the gamble will definitly be worth it. But for 30 and probably a decent salary, I’m not so sure 

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

I don't know how anyone can say he isn't prone to injury. Some people get injured more than others and Tierney is clearly fragile.

Yeah but that's just not true though, is it?

It sounds good saying "he's injury prone" but that's just too simplistic and bordering on a pseudo-science type view.

You could say he's more susceptible to certain types of injuries, you could say he's got weak bones, you could say he's got a weak knee or that he doesn't recover from injuries well but again, it's down to smarter people than me to answer which of these are true, if any.

Saying "he's just fragile" is reductive and quite frankly bollocks.

35 minutes ago, kocunar said:

What does watch list mean? Were they not watching them before? 

It means that they are close to breaking FFP so UEFA will ask them to submit extra information to monitor how they plan on bringing their finances back in line.

Arsenal took a slight risk when spending money despite under achieving on the pitch for quite a few years. They aren't in any financial trouble, in fact they are an absolute machine commercially but from an FFP point of view and from a transfer spend point of view, they need some incoming in order to supplement their future spending.

I'm not entirely sure how it works but outgoings are quite "strong" for FFP right? I think it's something that Newcastle are also trying to take advantage of.

Arsenal are going to sell a few this summer, Xhaka has already gone and he was one of their best players. 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah but that's just not true though, is it?

It sounds good saying "he's injury prone" but that's just too simplistic and bordering on a pseudo-science type view.

You could say he's more susceptible to certain types of injuries, you could say he's got weak bones, you could say he's got a weak knee or that he doesn't recover from injuries well but again, it's down to smarter people than me to answer which of these are true, if any.

Saying "he's just fragile" is reductive and quite frankly bollocks.

It's not like. :lol: 

I've done different sports with a same group for a long time and for some reason some people get injured a lot and some never. That could be down to bones or joints or whatever, I'm not a doctor. Based on Tierney's injury history he's susceptible to all kinds of injuries, in other words he's fragile.

Bordering on pseudo-science ffs. :lol:

5 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Milos Kerkez From Az Allmaar would be a good shout 

£20m

left back - Hungarian 

Lets go FULL Hungarian. Orban too?

All jokes aside never seen him play I will do some scouting now.

33 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Lets go FULL Hungarian. Orban too?

All jokes aside never seen him play I will do some scouting now.

There’s a bit of Tierney on his playing style - has a magic left peg - was on the verge of going to Benfica but they are saying that’s there’s PL teams in the race with bigger proposals

17 minutes ago, Mikky said:

There’s a bit of Tierney on his playing style - has a magic left peg - was on the verge of going to Benfica but they are saying that’s there’s PL teams in the race with bigger proposals

I was literally just coming here to say that! He looks amazing. I'll take 2 Hungarians on the rocks please bartender.

Some reports that Spurs option to make the deal for Kulusevski permanent for £30 million may have been tied to them qualifying for the Champions League, and so now it's not as clear cut, as he might need some convincing to stay at Spurs.

Apparently Howe is interested and we will be keeping a close eye on how that all plays out, as we'd be making a move if the deal to stay at Spurs does not go ahead.