Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

We've already spent over £200m without bringing barely anything in. That said, I agree not to spend this window given what kind of attraction we will be with Champions League football would be a mistake. It's the perfect opportunity to take a leap in terms of quality that might not be there next year if we didn't qualify again, which is still more likely than not I'd say.

9 minutes ago, Ash2579 said:

We’ve brought £20m in with the sale of Wood and Shelvey. I think the club have identified ASM as an asset worth trading if it loosens the purse strings for quality in other positions. ASM is at peak value now and won’t get any better as he relies on his pace!

If we can get 30-40mil for him, I reckon our budget will allow us to go big on 3-4 targets!

But then you have to replace ASM as well, probably at the same cost, so it doesn’t really create any extra funds

If there are other reasons fair enough, but I don’t see the club being willing sellers of anyone who would actually attract a fee as they would just need replacing 

Anyone significant missing from this in terms of recent links that seem to have some amount of substance to them? I know some are unlikely or maybe even already ruled out (like Phillips and Veiga), but trying to get a sense of the overall picture.

AM/CM

Dominik Szoboszlai - £60.3M (release clause)

James Maddison - ~£40M

Rayan Cherki - £40-45M

Arda Guler - £17.3M (release clause)

CM

Kalvin Phillips - £40-45M

Romeo Lavia - ~£40M

Scott McTominay - £40M?

Gabri Veiga - £35M (release clause)

LB

Kieran Tierney - ~£30M

CB

Kim Min-Jae - £51M (release clause)

9 minutes ago, Ash2579 said:

I think Eddie is covered on the left. I think Big Joe will be first choice once we bring another midfielder in, and Gordon will be second choice. We need another RW if anything.

The problem with that is, at present, Gordon doesn't offer anything close to what ASM can in an attacking sense, and hasn't even been especially diligent in the areas you might expect him to be superior (pressing, positional play)

10 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Anyone significant missing from this in terms of recent links that seem to have some amount of substance to them? I know some are unlikely or maybe even already ruled out (like Phillips and Veiga), but trying to get a sense of the overall picture.

AM/CM

Dominik Szoboszlai - £60.3M (release clause)

James Maddison - ~£40M

Rayan Cherki - £40-45M

Arda Guler - £17.3M (release clause)

CM

Kalvin Phillips - £40-45M

Romeo Lavia - ~£40M

Scott McTominay - £40M?

Gabri Veiga - £35M (release clause)

LB

Kieran Tierney - ~£30M

CB

Kim Min-Jae - £51M (release clause)

Thuram is linked regularly 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

...and we know a thing or two about missed opportunities around here.

Pretty sure people said it would be a missed opportunity to push on last season if we didn't sign a right winger in the summer. We didn't sign one.

In January they then said it would be a missed opportunity to consolidate a top 4 place if we didn't sign a central midfielder. We didn't sign one.

They were wrong on both accounts.

1 hour ago, Ash2579 said:

I think Big Joe will be first choice once we bring another midfielder in

I think he is a better CM. If we move him, we have Willock, Bruno, Longstaff as CMs and would need another three unless you count on Anderson for important minutes there and then you still need two.  

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Pretty sure people said it would be a missed opportunity to push on last season if we didn't sign a right winger in the summer. We didn't sign one.

In January they then said it would be a missed opportunity to consolidate a top 4 place if we didn't sign a central midfielder. We didn't sign one.

Technically he's not wrong though, because if we don't get CL the following season then we have definitely missed this early opportunity of offering CL football, if we haven't got in some players that are only looking at joining a club at that level.

We're not an established CL team so best to go for the bigger names now, whilst we know we can offer it, which then further increases our chances of being able to offer it down the line imo.

Edited by BonesJones

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Were they though?

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We moved on from bed wetting crack to missed opportunities now ?

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Natural Evolution, next up “Why is this transfer taking so long” panic over purple player.

22 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We had to disrupt the preferred double Joe left side and looked worse for it and Bruno had to play a fair few games through injury. I mean aye we made top 4 in the end but we were clearly suffering due to our lack of depth at CM. 

41 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I said nothing about the first point. The second misrepresents my view on January. I was always clear that there was no need to take a RISK by not signing a midfielder. I said even if we make top 4 without signing one (and letting Shelvey go), it’s still a risk of falling away in the Carabao and the league. Now we fell away in one and not the other. Maybe we’d have done better in Carabao with an extra midfielder, maybe not who knows. My view was that the risk wasn’t worth it, not that it was a guaranteed bad move.

Edited by greydos

44 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Aye but you didn't, so we're all good, right?

47 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

We had to disrupt the preferred double Joe left side and looked worse for it and Bruno had to play a fair few games through injury. I mean aye we made top 4 in the end but we were clearly suffering due to our lack of depth at CM. 

It's not like Kaka to completely ignore the actual arguments, deny reality, and take any opportunity to pat himself on the back like.

1 hour ago, BonesJones said:

Technically he's not wrong though, because if we don't get CL the following season then we have definitely missed this early opportunity of offering CL football, if we haven't got in some players that are only looking at joining a club at that level.

We're not an established CL team so best to go for the bigger names now, whilst we know we can offer it, which then further increases our chances of being able to offer it down the line imo.

This approach opens up a lot of potential issues down the road if we don’t get top 4 next season though. 

The players that signed for CL football don’t have it after a season, what do we do? Move them on? Or keep unhappy players that consider a non CL club below their level? It’s just never that simple to say let’s take advantage and sign CL players as a non established CL club, so far it’s one season.

I personally don’t think our targets will change much from where they were pre top 4 finish, maybe a tweak here or there but I expect it will be the same trend of steady squad building progress that we have seen developing already.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I wish people would stop peddling these phrases. They're as tedious as fuck.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's not like Kaka to completely ignore the actual arguments, deny reality, and take any opportunity to pat himself on the back like.

Ah, here we go again. Evil KaKa patting himself on the back and being patronising and arrogant right?

Last summer and in January people were speaking so matter of factly about how bad things would be if we didn't make those signings, and they complained and complained and complained.

No matter how you cut it, it was ultimately all for nowt, as things worked out just fine and they were wrong about it. Just because it didn't work out how you anticipated don't turn that around on me and claim I'm patting myself on the back because I pointed that out.

I know you guys get really wound up and find it annoying in these instances when these kinds of things are brought up, but equally it's really annoying to some of us when the incessant complaining and doom mongering is going on too, and so I guess we're all even.

6 hours ago, andycap said:

Surely lavia will be bought back by city. 

Wait how does this work? If we offer more and he wants to come here can he just say fuck off to City?