Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We don’t play a high press anymore.  We stopped that when we went on that dry patch at the start of the year.  After which our defence started to look very exposed and started making schoolboy errors in pretty much every game, leading to conceding daft goals like clockwork.  We went from the best defence in the league to an average one.

It seems patently obvious to me that if we continue playing the more positive style of the second half of last season (which was more fun to watch) then a genuine defensive midfielder would be a positive.  

That's not right like, we were conceding far fewer goals when we sat back. We were scoring less as well, so swings and roundabouts, but it feels like we are evolving regardless.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We play a pressing game but not the same as what we played first half of the season

There was a good piece of analysis recently that showed we still high press pretty religiously, but rather than to force a turn over, it's to force the opposition downfield.

Just now, cubaricho said:

I’m going to have to disagree with that. That’s all the pundits talk about when talking about us and it’s clear as day to me. We’re all over teams. Like Tottenham and Arsenal near the end of the season. They had no idea what was happening and were wholly unprepared for our high press. 

We still play it against ‘big’ teams where we don’t expect to dominate on the ball.  But we don’t at all against lesser sides, as it is completely ineffective.  There’s a more methodical style with pressure building from possession. 

The games against good sides at the tail end of the season - Arsenal, Spurs, Villa - all illustrate my point re how exposed the defence has looked.  We blew Spurs away but conceded a stupid y pressured goal.  Villa overrun our midfield and exposed the lack of pace at the back - if you wanted a blueprint for beating us, that was it.  Arsenal hit us with sucker punches.  A CDM potentially changes that. 

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I’m going to have to disagree with that. That’s all the pundits talk about when talking about us and it’s clear as day to me. We’re all over teams. Like Tottenham and Arsenal near the end of the season. They had no idea what was happening and were wholly unprepared for our high press. 

Yep exactly. Brighton couldn’t hardly get out of their own box too.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We still play it against ‘big’ teams where we don’t expect to dominate on the ball.  But we don’t at all against lesser sides, as it is completely ineffective.  There’s a more methodical style with pressure building from possession. 

The games against good sides at the tail end of the season - Arsenal, Spurs, Villa - all illustrate my point re how exposed the defence has looked.  We blew Spurs away but conceded a stupid y pressured goal.  Villa overrun our midfield and exposed the lack of pace at the back - if you wanted a blueprint for beating us, that was it.  Arsenal hit us with sucker punches.  A CDM potentially changes that. 

Villa are a genuinely good side, with a terrific manager. That was the one game I was confident Liverpool would drop points as well, and they really shouldn't have got any.

Our press has definitely refined as the season has gone on, we do it less as a team but are much more intelligent when we do use it like against Brighton.

The fear going in to that game was that Brighton are excellent against pressing teams, they happily play it around between the two pivots, defence and the keeper and wait for the press which creates gaps for them to exploit. We didn’t allow that as the midfield didn’t appear to press at all, only from goal kicks meaning Brighton had to go long which we could pick up and then go again.

It was tactically excellent from Howe.

Regarding a DM, I can see the benefit and would allow us to start with a 4-2-3-1 formation against weaker sides or switch it up if we struggle to break teams down. We seem to have very little going for us attack wise through the middle at times and they go sideways to the wide players that much that it become predictable.

We are one of the most direct sides in the league and have a very high number of turnovers, we don't seem to mind trying risky balls through or over as we can press quickly to win the ball back. That side of our game is almost the opposite of what pep or klopp would want as they want control. We also attack in many ways with overloads to create isolations on the other side, doubling up offensively. Being very quick on the break. It's almost like we use every possible method of attack. None perfectly, but it doesn't matter as if one way doesn't work we try another. We went from being a very aggressive high pressing team like you would see from klopp to a very dynamic almost random team offensively that still presses. We seemed to change to this around march I think.

Edited by relámpago blanco

Not sure how popular this is but i would love us to sign Kane. Goes against the young model strategy we have in place but personally think because we have fast tracked ourselves into top 4 that a signing like that would keep us there next year. Its going to be much harder fighting on 4 fronts next season plus the fact that teams are going to be more prepared for our style of play. Isak is only 23, a couple of seasons beside Kane would be massive for his development. 

I had changed my mind on Veiga after actually watching him in the Barcelona game. Obviously he’s going to Liverpool now that I think he would have been a good signing :lol:

Hopefully means we’re the best option for Thuram now. Liverpool can’t sign all the midfielders.

Edited by McCormick

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Liverpool are in pole position to sign all of our targets according to the media 

Aye signing Thuram, Kone, Mac Allister, Lavia, Veiga, Kokcu and Mount if you took all reports at face value.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Aye signing Thuram, Kone, Mac Allister, Lavia, Veiga, Kokcu and Mount if you took all reports at face value.

Klopp would probably still complain.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

They will sign 2 midfielder I reckon -

Mac Allister and Kone are my bet

Plus Thiago - Fabinho - Henderson - Elliott - C Jones - the young Spaniard  - how many more do they need…..

1 hour ago, WinstonFC said:

Not sure how popular this is but i would love us to sign Kane. Goes against the young model strategy we have in place but personally think because we have fast tracked ourselves into top 4 that a signing like that would keep us there next year. Its going to be much harder fighting on 4 fronts next season plus the fact that teams are going to be more prepared for our style of play. Isak is only 23, a couple of seasons beside Kane would be massive for his development. 

Of course - but that’s not happening in a million years.  We couldn’t offer the salary nor immediate guaranteed trophy returns that he’d want for leaving Spurs

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

What is it ? It won’t open on mine 

Whitehead telling us the positions we need to strengthen. He also mentions Mcsauce as a target. 

later in the week they are going to be telling us who they think we should buy.