Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Brilliant performance and a great win, totally dominant. I thought Miggy was our best player quickly followed by Bruno. Joelinton was, well Joelinton. ASM was less huffy, more economical and looking to pass more. Wilson scored, but he was often isolated and anonymous which is a worry.

As dominant as we were, we did struggle to break them down and I worry about that, we clearly need attacking players and particularly a playmaker. I fear we will struggle against teams who do a Forest with 10 men behind the ball unless we get those players, otherwise we may need to rethink going back to more of a counter attacking team.

But that’s in our armour anyway and I’m sure we will continue to develop different tactics and game plans to suit whoever we play.

Willock had a very good game and I loved how interchangeable we were in terms of players swapping positions and roles, basically we were very fluid and some of our play was brilliant, until we got to their box where it was often Wilson alone in there. But we fully deserved that win and if Forest set up like that regularly they will go straight back down, they were piss poor.

Regarding our former old boy Colback, I thought he was their best player on and off the ball, never misplaced a pass, he did play it safe a lot mind, but tackled well and intercepted well off the ball. Lingard is clearly not match fit and did fuck all, but you could see in advanced positions his quality where he played a few key balls forward. I’m glad we dodged that one, however. 

All in all a great performance with some great football, playing much higher up, at a quicker tempo and we look super fit, united, organised, tactically switched on and every player is bang up for it, we cannot, however, rest on this, we need 2-3 extra high quality attacking additions badly.

Well done Howe, his staff, the players and Wor Flags for the display. How good is it to be back, the sun is shining, we won and this promises to be an exciting season based on this display. Howay The Lads!

You know we were shit hot when you stop to read an entire HTT post.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Brilliant performance and a great win, totally dominant. I thought Miggy was our best player quickly followed by Bruno. Joelinton was, well Joelinton. ASM was less huffy, more economical and looking to pass more. Wilson scored, but he was often isolated and anonymous which is a worry.

As dominant as we were, we did struggle to break them down and I worry about that, we clearly need attacking players and particularly a playmaker. I fear we will struggle against teams who do a Forest with 10 men behind the ball unless we get those players, otherwise we may need to rethink going back to more of a counter attacking team.

But that’s in our armour anyway and I’m sure we will continue to develop different tactics and game plans to suit whoever we play.

Willock had a very good game and I loved how interchangeable we were in terms of players swapping positions and roles, basically we were very fluid and some of our play was brilliant, until we got to their box where it was often Wilson alone in there. But we fully deserved that win and if Forest set up like that regularly they will go straight back down, they were piss poor.

Regarding our former old boy Colback, I thought he was their best player on and off the ball, never misplaced a pass, he did play it safe a lot mind, but tackled well and intercepted well off the ball. Lingard is clearly not match fit and did fuck all, but you could see in advanced positions his quality where he played a few key balls forward. I’m glad we dodged that one, however. 

All in all a great performance with some great football, playing much higher up, at a quicker tempo and we look super fit, united, organised, tactically switched on and every player is bang up for it, we cannot, however, rest on this, we need 2-3 extra high quality attacking additions badly.

Well done Howe, his staff, the players and Wor Flags for the display. How good is it to be back, the sun is shining, we won and this promises to be an exciting season based on this display. Howay The Lads!

Good post mate, but i do really disagree on on struggling to break them down — they packed the box and stuck everyone behind the ball but what I found quite refreshing was the patience on display around the box. We were trying quick pass and move, give and go’s, decoy runs, slide in to the by-line, crossing, through balls or quick over tops to the wingers to get something in. In the past we sat around doing fuck all and then would take shots. I don’t want us to be a strictly counter attacking team because I genuinely do like seeing our guys figuring out and trying new things. Second half you could see clearly Howe let Miggy, Maxi, and Willock free and they were very fluid in attack.

It took a worldie from Schar to finally get ahead but I was hugely impressed overall with how we approached it. 

In fairness to Lingard he was involved in their only piece of quality, lovely through ball in the first half.

He's in a shite side. He's not great either mind but he's surrounded with champo plodders.

Not that they put us under much pressure but those little sparkles of quality to release the ball, evade pressure and keep possession is on a different level than I’ve seen for 20 odd years. Absolutely no one is scared of receiving the ball. Such a big difference.

Bruno and Joelinton were so, so good but everyone deserves credit. With the 5 substitutes we however need Almiron and Willock as impact players. Add a couple of quality players in their stead and we can do some serious damage this season.

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Good post mate, but i do really disagree on on struggling to break them down — they packed the box and stuck everyone behind the ball but what I found quite refreshing was the patience on display around the box. We were trying quick pass and move, give and go’s, decoy runs, slide in to the by-line, crossing, through balls or quick over tops to the wingers to get something in. In the past we sat around doing fuck all and then would take shots. I don’t want us to be a strictly counter attacking team because I genuinely do like seeing our guys figuring out and trying new things. Second half you could see clearly Howe let Miggy, Maxi, and Willock free and they were very fluid in attack.

It took a worldie from Schar to finally get ahead but I was hugely impressed overall with how we approached it. 

Aye, struggling to break them down was probably the wrong turn of phrase, more that we struggled to make our dominance count in terms of goals or proper shots at goal. On another day (with better players no doubt) with better placed passes and finishing it would have been 4 or 5.

I will say this, we wore them down like Man City do, we were relentless and they couldn’t deal with our press, our interceptions, quick play and our fluidity.  

That said, unless we sign some actual top level quality attacking players, and a better team than Forest put 10 men behind the ball like they did if we played them and we won’t win and could easily be picked off. It’s a fine margin I know and right now we got it right and that’s all you can ask.

I loved that we played 20 yards higher up despite no real pace at the back, pressed hard everywhere and looked for quick passing transitions while in an initial slow build up and especially when we intercepted the ball, we pounced on them constantly.

Whatever they’ve been working on in training during pre-season, it worked so well today, I’ve not seen us play like that under Howe last season, even against Arsenal at home. Not to this level anyway.

Edited by HTT II

So, after a covid-induced, frustration-filled afternoon of scrambling aroond a dodgy box trying to get a half decent stream of a game I was desperate to (and should) have been at, I sit here, surprisingly smitten at a performance that looked very Man City in all but the final passage of each play.

Pope was very commanding of his area and did whatever he had to, despite being really tested. (6)

Trippier and Targett were steady away, but never really had to show any level of their defensive class. Both provided decent balls into the box and passes. (6)

Schar (8) and Burn (7) were both absolutely dominant despite being particularly tested but both offered calmness and a foundation for us to attack from. Despite multiple chances for what seemed, somewhat nervy finishing Schar sends a rocket right in the top bin.

Willock - a funny one for me. He's just seems like a quiet lad who enjoys playing football, isn't a bastard, isn't a world beater, isn't Mr Creativity, isn't a bull in a china shop, just like pleasant :lol: he's a decent player but I'm not entirely sure of his role. It works though. He was a (6) for me as I thought he really never had to excel himself.

Joelinton, from a biased perspective perhaps, was a (7) for me. Again, didn't really have to display his levels of quality but was just a presence everywhere on the pitch. He's gone from being like a tamed beast to an uncaged animal and seemingly an influential member of the team, if not by voice by demonstrating the type of attitude and attributes any football fan should appreciate.

Bruno (8) not even in second gear I felt, but just controlled the game, pulled the strings, oozed class, I think I have a pure man crush on him like, he's quite literally one of the best Newcastle players I've seen in my lifetime, if this form continues.

Miggy looked so much more coordinated today, as we've seen pre-season, he's developed a real understanding of where to be and when, and when to use his explosive energy and when to simply position himself better. I thought he should have shot with his right in the Leazes, but aside from that caused a lot of problems and defended from the front, really setting the tone for the team to squeeze the life our of Forests performance. (7)

ASM - I think the commentator said it when I finally found a stream that worked: "Just doing what ASM does" think that says enough... (6)

Wilson (6) never really felt he had the service today but also never felt he had the sharpness, then he scored that goal with such a top drawer finish. I actually think a sharp Wilson in a top side is almost on par with Kane tbh. Laugh as you may. A good 3months will see him at the world cup. Hopefully not though, he's ours, fuck England. :lol:

Cannot be arsed to do subs so they can all have a 6. Howe gets an 11 cause he's a beautiful man and now I'm getting my final brown ale from the fridge. Congratulations on reading this far.

EIEIEIO...

30 minutes ago, sixx said:

Not that they put us under much pressure but those little sparkles of quality to release the ball, evade pressure and keep possession is on a different level than I’ve seen for 20 odd years. Absolutely no one is scared of receiving the ball. Such a big difference.

Bruno and Joelinton were so, so good but everyone deserves credit. With the 5 substitutes we however need Almiron and Willock as impact players. Add a couple of quality players in their stead and we can do some serious damage this season.

I could not believe my eyes with some of the one touch stuff we played to get ourselves out of tight situations. 

Just now, LV said:

I could not believe my eyes with some of the one touch stuff we played to get ourselves out of tight situations. 

Watching us play it out from the back instead of wellying it down the line is orgasmic.

On another note, today was a massive lesson to Forest, who seemed to lack absolutely everything. Maybe it'll click with the newer players in time, but after the other two promoted sides got decent results today they're already up against it. 

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

So, after a covid-induced, frustration-filled afternoon of scrambling aroond a dodgy box trying to get a half decent stream of a game I was desperate to (and should) have been at, I sit here, surprisingly smitten at a performance that looked very Man City in all but the final passage of each play.

Pope was very commanding of his area and did whatever he had to, despite being really tested. (6)

Trippier and Targett were steady away, but never really had to show any level of their defensive class. Both provided decent balls into the box and passes. (6)

Schar (8) and Burn (7) were both absolutely dominant despite being particularly tested but both offered calmness and a foundation for us to attack from. Despite multiple chances for what seemed, somewhat nervy finishing Schar sends a rocket right in the top bin.

Willock - a funny one for me. He's just seems like a quiet lad who enjoys playing football, isn't a bastard, isn't a world beater, isn't Mr Creativity, isn't a bull in a china shop, just like pleasant :lol: he's a decent player but I'm not entirely sure of his role. It works though. He was a (6) for me as I thought he really never had to excel himself.

Joelinton, from a biased perspective perhaps, was a (7) for me. Again, didn't really have to display his levels of quality but was just a presence everywhere on the pitch. He's gone from being like a tamed beast to an uncaged animal and seemingly an influential member of the team, if not by voice by demonstrating the type of attitude and attributes any football fan should appreciate.

Bruno (8) not even in second gear I felt, but just controlled the game, pulled the strings, oozed class, I think I have a pure man crush on him like, he's quite literally one of the best Newcastle players I've seen in my lifetime, if this form continues.

Miggy looked so much more coordinated today, as we've seen pre-season, he's developed a real understanding of where to be and when, and when to use his explosive energy and when to simply position himself better. I thought he should have shot with his right in the Leazes, but aside from that caused a lot of problems and defended from the front, really setting the tone for the team to squeeze the life our of Forests performance. (7)

ASM - I think the commentator said it when I finally found a stream that worked: "Just doing what ASM does" think that says enough... (6)

Wilson (6) never really felt he had the service today but also never felt he had the sharpness, then he scored that goal with such a top drawer finish. I actually think a sharp Wilson in a top side is almost on par with Kane tbh. Laugh as you may. A good 3months will see him at the world cup. Hopefully not though, he's ours, fuck England. :lol:

Cannot be arsed to do subs so they can all have a 6. Howe gets an 11 cause he's a beautiful man and now I'm getting my final brown ale from the fridge. Congratulations on reading this far.

EIEIEIO...

As class as Bruno was I think anyone scoring Joelinton lower than him is madness, Joelinton absolutely led our high press and was integral to suffocating them. I also think trippier was really really good providing a lot of attacks down right. I largely agree on forwards though despite no end product ASM had a really hard working shift and worked well with others which will get rewards.

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

As class as Bruno was I think anyone scoring Joelinton lower than him is madness, Joelinton absolutely led our high press and was integral to suffocating them. I also think trippier was really really good providing a lot of attacks down right. I largely agree on forwards though despite no end product ASM had a really hard working shift and worked well with others which will get rewards.

Aye, Joelinton was perhaps an 8 too for the reasons you've stated. Think Joelinton and Bruno compliment one another so well tbh. Literally love them both.