Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Garth Crooks is mental, volume 782134674190428

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41629127

Team Of The Week

Defender - Per Mertesacker (Arsenal)

I don't often select defenders on losing sides, but this week I have to make an exception.

During the game at Vicarage Road, I saw the most exquisite ball played from Arsenal's central defence to send Alex Iwobi away on the right. It was such an composed pass from the defender, I craned my neck to find out who it was. I was amazed to see it was none other than Per Mertesacker who was responsible for such a sophisticated ball. I don't know why I was so surprised, the 'Big Friendly German' is set to head Arsenal's academy next season, so such erudition should be par for the course.

I was also shocked to see Mertesacker starting the game, and with the captain's armband. It was like rolling back the years to the days when he used to appear regularly in my team of the week! This defender is clearly very clever. He never overextends himself and appears a model professional. His headed goal against Watford was like taking candy from a baby - what a mismatch asking Tom Cleverley to mark Mertesacker on a set-piece. That's like asking Ryan Giggs to fight Mike Tyson!

Thankfully, Liverpool did their best to make a game of it and none more so than the impressive Joe Gomez. This is a young, versatile English player who can play as a full-back or in central defence

Midfielder - Joe Gomez (Liverpool)

:lol: it's sheer sense of disbelief and bewilderment he exhibits in every sentence that does it for me like, it's a writing style I don't think anyone has taken before him.

It reminds me of PG Wodehouse :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

'That's like asking Ryan Giggs to fight Mike Tyson' without the slightest inclination to revise that with better examples. :lol:

:lol: it's sheer sense of disbelief and bewilderment he exhibits in every sentence that does it for me like, it's a writing style I don't think anyone has taken before him.

Perfectly put :lol: that's exactly it. You find yourself emphasising the same words and speaking with his odd voice.

I need to find a video of it, but I remember him doing the league cup draw a couple of years ago on BBC or ITV or something. He was clearly extremely ill. Every time the camera panned to him he was dabbing his head with a wet cloth then would jump and stare at the camera like a rabbit in headlights. Picking the balls out he was shaking so much and generally mumbling and fumbling. I thought he was going to pass out and die, it was incredible.