Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Surely the point of a player like Messi is that he converts chances that aren't 'expected goals'? It would seem weird to increase the expected goals because it's Messi on the ball. The stat then wouldn't show how Barca did compared to normal expectations.

Exactly, its a 4% chance a normal player scores from there. It shows how good Messi is at finishing that people weren't surprised that he scored

Doesn’t that rather highlight the xG score for the Sissoko chance as a problem though?

How?

Well people’s (tongue-in-cheek) argument about why the score for the Sissoko chance was so low was because he’s shite in those situations. The point is to rate the quality of the chance regardless of player, so that just makes 11% seem more erroneous.

:snod:

Guest chopey

If this happened then clubs like Juventus should not be allowed to play B teams in the national leagues. If they want to form a European Super League let them and maybe we can return to competitive leagues again.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/25/promotion-relegation-champions-league-plans-agnelli-european-clubs

Not quite related to this but I quite like the idea floating about for a 5 team relegation from the Premier League.

:anguish:

I thought this was probably the best way to spread out the TV money to more clubs

Bolton's game against Brentford on Saturday has been called off by the English Football League after Bolton's players said they would not play until they receive the wages they are owed.

Guest firetotheworks

Surely the point of a player like Messi is that he converts chances that aren't 'expected goals'? It would seem weird to increase the expected goals because it's Messi on the ball. The stat then wouldn't show how Barca did compared to normal expectations.

See I would say it's pretty important in assessing the likelihood of a goal. It would be fair enough if they were using macro stats to macro situations, but they're using it for micro situations. It's never 'based on the average player, there was a 4% chance of a goal in that situation' either.

Talk of sharing money around is obviously needed, and who cares if the twattish big clubs break off to some silly european league, they will ofcourse take quite a lot of money with them but we would have to see if it would be a success. The thing is the big clubs are so much more able to raise funds from their own money anyway than clubs like us, it's never going to be fair when Sheikh Mansour is about etc etc. There needs to be talk about wages and transfer fees (agent fees seem ripe for more looking at and regulation especially) to bring them back down as they seem vastly over inflated at teh moment. That would help the competitiveness of teh league. Financial fair play has not worked when PSG can pay £200m for a player. The £100m fees that have now become the norm is so out of proportion with the financial resources of even 2 thirds of any of the european leagues it needs to be curbed as much as just sharing money more evenly.

I know it is a natural progression from just how much money can flow into these mega clubs but it just stinks of a bubble to me.

I've been following football for over about 12 years now and people have been complaining about the age range for that award since then and they still haven't changed it :lol: It makes no sense for it to be 24, can't be too hard to change it

The Spanish FA have approved the new formats for both the Copa del Rey and the Supercopa.

- The Copa del Rey will be much more like the FA Cup. Single game ties on the pitch of the lowest-ranked opposition (draw if teams belong to the same division), except the semi-final. Roster of teams taking part expanded to reach all the way down to the fifth tier of Spanish football. Awesome change.

- The Supercopa will be now contested by the League and Cup winners and runners-up (4 teams total). It will now be contested after the winter break, instead of being the opening game of the season. Crappy change for a crappy competition. There are strong rumors that the FA intends to ship off the competition abroad because €€€€€€.

Lawro's doing an AMA on Reddit, and its absolute gold.

Q. Out of all the pundits you have worked with, who is 1, the one you consider to have the least knowledge on football, 2, the most annoying?

A. 1. Robbie Savage - never has a man been more aptly named

2. As above

:lol:

Reddit Bloke: What podcasts do you listen to?

Lawro: I don't... But my son keeps telling me I need to listen to Athletico Mince...

Reddit Bloke: Your son is correct

Lawro:  It's the only thing he's got right in his life so far