Newcastle United vs. Manchester City - 21/8/22 @ 4:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Only weakness they have I suppose is their high line and that their fullbacks are actually wingers, Brighton were probably a decent warm-up for them tbh. I like the idea of Joeliton on the wing actually, Trippier diagonal to him could be one area we could get something.

I'd never take a loss because you never know; plus they have lost three of their last 40 away games, so they're clearly very vulnerable on the road. (Spurs twice and Brighton).

Backs to the wall job makes sense. As strong as we look at home, City are just so far beyond what we are. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd never take a loss because you never know; plus they have lost three of their last 40 away games, so they're clearly very vulnerable on the road. (Spurs twice and Brighton).

Backs to the wall job makes sense. As strong as we look at home, City are just so far beyond what we are. 

That's absolutely mental. :lol: Most great sides would be lucky to only loss 3 at home in 40 games nevermind away.

In footy manager mode this morning, be interested to see something like this - hard working with pace on the break:

OVfVkAJ.png

For 90% of the game it would be this:

Urtx6xI.png

However on the ball Joelinton would push forward and the midfielders would tuck in:

7j9rLAq.png

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I don't even look at it as a bad thing playing these lot:

1. Let's get our atmosphere loud and proud live on sky next Sunday. Hope Wor Flags have something special planned.

2. Let's test ourselves against the best in the world.

3. Let's keep Botman in the side, give him more PL minutes.

4. If we perform well, even if we get beat, we can come out of this game in a positive place.

5. 3rd game of the season, we can get this lot out of the way.

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think we need someone like Maxi here. Someone who has that bit of magic on the break that could potentially hurt them.

I think we'll defend fairly deep, maybe go 5-3-1 for this one. Howe likes to attack, but he's not stupid, so the main emphasis will be to plug the gaps, and yes, hope for a bit of magic from Maxi. Pard-tastic.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think we'll defend fairly deep, maybe go 5-3-1 for this one. Howe likes to attack, but he's not stupid, so the main emphasis will be to plug the gaps, and yes, hope for a bit of magic from Maxi. Pard-tastic.

Bloody well is stupid if he'd only go with 10 men;).

Are you going 541 or 532 ?

Something akin to what we played away at Chelsea last season I'd like to see. No idea why Howe never went back to that system against any of the top 6 after that game, we fully deserved a result and were fucking robbed. Manchester City are much better than Chelsea admittedly, but still. We're at home, hopefully the kick off time allows the crowd to have a few pints to make the atmosphere belting.

Miggy hat trick.

Seriously, 0-1.  

1-1 if we play well and have a bit of luck-- a late equalizer will do.

Really interested in seeing 1)  if Howe will change the formation 2) how well we defend against a top side

Edited by gazza ladra
spelling

On 13/08/2022 at 18:34, STM said:

Pope

Schar    Botman     Burn

Trippier                                   Targett

Bruno

Miggy                Joelinton 

ASM         Wilson

1-0

I'm torn. Instincts say this to just play as compact as possible and rely on ASM to carry the ball and break at pace in the few chances we get.

However the way City play is to keep the ball in front of the wall and move it side to side quickly to pull us apart and look for gaps. In some ways packing the defence and sitting deep plays to their strengths and hands them the ball. 

It would be high risk to flood the midfield instead of defense and try and go intense high press and get in their face, but it would be high reward if it came off. 

Problem is, especially now with Haaland they will always have that pace sitting on the shoulder waiting to pounce and occupying the CB's 😔 god they are such a strong beast now. So frustrating we are gonna have to watch them dominate for so long due to FFP restrictions. 

5 at the back and pack the CM with 3. Pace on the break if possible. Defend the box, deny space behind and prioritise set pieces, if they're going to score then make them work for it, keep the shape and hope to frustrate them

Bingo.   

2 hours ago, Chicane said:

Reckon we'll do em :knuppel2:

I'm thinking "Flogged round the fleet" and "died under punishment" flag flown from the ship. Hope not though! Sure seems like St James' Park adds a fair bit for the home side. 

Edited by McDog