João Pedro

20 minutes ago, gdm said:

Don’t get me started on what our fans thought about Sammy Ameobi & Nile Ranger :lol:

There was a (very) short period where I wouldn't have sold Ranger for £20m. :lol: 

Can't remember much hype about Sammeobi though.

Can’t pretend to be excited if this one goes through - he did nowt of note in the PL last season.  Unimpressive GTG ratio - just like most of the forwards in our squad.

I’m not the expert though - Howe is - and if he signs then I hope the lad makes comments like mine look stupid

15 minutes ago, gdm said:

They can afford to invest £20m in a young player that’s hardly played. We (as reported) only have £40m left and need to fill 2-3 places in the squad and unlike Chelsea we don’t really have the players of quality they have 

If you're referring to the Swiss Ramble FFP thing you've misunderstood it.

That £40m is not what we have to spend, it is the amount of additional loss we could afford within FFP by 23/24 if we have no increase in revenue. That £40m equates to a FFP accounting spend of £100m.

17 minutes ago, Teasy said:

If we had £40m left we wouldn't be offering £30m for Pedro.

Or as is the case with almost every single deal nowadays we won't be paying anywhere near the full £30 million fee from this year's budget because it will be a structured deal.

9 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

If you're referring to the Swiss Ramble FFP thing you've misunderstood it.

That £40m is not what we have to spend, it is the amount of additional loss we could afford within FFP by 23/24 if we have no increase in revenue. That £40m equates to a FFP accounting spend of £100m.

No I’m not referring to the Swiss ramble. So I haven’t misunderstood. I’m referring to journalist after journalist telling us week after week that what’s left of our budget (after Botman) was around £40m

but my point was only really that Chelsea have the resources, funds and squad to be able to spend £20m on a virtually untried prospect. Us not so much 

Edited by gdm

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Whatever happens in the remainder of this window, eventually we will get there. I'd say we can be fairly sure at some point we will be back in European competion, dreams.

I'm more into the story and slow build side of things for sure. Feeling so confident about anyone that comes in. So far only one out of seven of our signings could we say hasn't looked great.

4 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Whatever happens in the remainder of this window, eventually we will get there. I'd say we can be fairly sure at some point we will be back in European competion, dreams.

I'm more into the story and slow build side of things for sure. Feeling so confident about anyone that comes in. So far only one out of seven of our signings could we say hasn't looked great.

Agreed.  I wasn’t buzzing over the Targett signing in Jan, but the lad has been fucking brilliant since he signed. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

His stats are really good, providing you aren't just looking at goals.

Some are talking as if we are trying to sign a 28 year old campaigner. He's fucking 20 man. :lol:

What else do you look at? Assists? He’s got 3 of those in 73 appearances.

13 goals and 3 assists in 73 games is barely any better than Miggy, who is generally slated on here.

12 minutes ago, gdm said:

No I’m not referring to the Swiss ramble. So I haven’t misunderstood. I’m referring to journalist after journalist telling us week after week that what’s left of our budget (after Botman) was around £40m

but my point was only really that Chelsea have the resources, funds and squad to be able to spend £20m on a virtually untried prospect. Us not so much 

Given the £40m figure I suspect that they might have taken it from the Swiss Ramble post. There's no way our owners are going to be telling anyone what our remaining budget is.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Given the £40m figure I suspect that they might have taken it from the Swiss Ramble post. There's no way our owners are going to be telling anyone what our remaining budget is.

what Swiss ramble post? This one? 

Well given that post was what? 9 days ago and at least 4 journalists have been saying £40m since the beginning of July that seems unlikely.

Edited by gdm

The £40m was what we have right now to spend wasn't it? For example João Pedro at £25m would eat into that less than say Cornet at 17m who'd have needed all the money upfront. We could still easily sign another two players for around £25m within the £40m 'budget'? 

22 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What else do you look at? Assists? He’s got 3 of those in 73 appearances.

13 goals and 3 assists in 73 games is barely any better than Miggy, who is generally slated on here.

Age for context?

Edited by Thumbheed

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Another thread for the nerds.

I get the comparison but Ekitike was our first choice for a reason. He had 16 goal involvements in 26 games and Borussia Dortmund and PSG were after him. He also just looked much better from watching his highlights and was reportedly cheaper than João Pedro, who had 5 goal involvements in 30 and no one else is in for.

There's quite a big gap in what their potential looks like at the moment. Hopefully it's meaningless and João Pedro is class though because he does look good.

Still an interesting thread though and obviously my post isn't aimed at anything you've said.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I get the comparison but Ekitike was our first choice for a reason. He had 16 goal involvements in 26 games and Borussia Dortmund and PSG were after him. He also just looked much better from watching his highlights and was reportedly cheaper than João Pedro, who had 5 goal involvements in 30 and no one else is in for.

There's quite a big gap in what their potential looks like at the moment. Hopefully it's meaningless and João Pedro is class though because he does look good.

This is what frustrates me about the age argument both Ekitike & Ramos are scoring and assisting for fun at a similar age. Pedro struggles to score in the championship. 

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

This is what frustrates me about the age argument both Ekitike & Ramos are scoring and assisting for fun at a similar age. Pedro struggles to score in the championship. 

One thing we've got wrong about him though is that he isn't really played as a striker. Watford have apparently been playing him out wide and transfermarkt isn't accurate