Alexander Isak

Disco

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

No, Bruno and Joelinton 

I mean, they're both excellent players but Isak looks to me someone who could become one of the very best in the game.

We should be building the team this summer to make sure we get the best out of this absolute phenom.

Was hoping he'd be given a little more license to roam today with Willock playing more close to a LM role. Think Isak on the left can absolutely be successful, but you want him drifting infield occasionally and picking up the ball in a variety of positions.

think that'll be it for the Isak/Wilson starting experiment. 

tried it but Isak was wasted,

its fine when were chasing a game with 30 mins to go, but not from the start.

5 minutes ago, huss9 said:

think that'll be it for the Isak/Wilson starting experiment. 

tried it but Isak was wasted,

its fine when were chasing a game with 30 mins to go, but not from the start.

Remember who we were playing today. We will get plenty of joy with the Wilson/Isak combination against lesser opponents.

Isak is a decent winger, sure, but he's one of the best strikers in Europe.

Absolute madness to play him on the wing long-term or with any regularity.

Can you imagine if Man City found Haaland could time a tackle so they started playing him at DC? 

The best thing is I'm not watching this absolute gem and thinking 'when is our owner going to take the profit' or 'when is he going to get Pardewed/Schteved/Bruced'.

We're going to try and put the right players beside him as soon as possible and until we can, we've got a coach that will keep pushing to improve him, rather than let him regress. 

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Can you imagine if Man City found Haaland could time a tackle so they started playing him at DC? 

Everyone has been wanting him to play with Wilson so no other place for him.

Just now, Chris_R said:

This is where I'm at too. I don't think it's madness to try it out, but today gave a good indication that it's probably not the best solution. If he is going to be put out wide, there's a better chance of success if he's coming on against tired legs. If he's starting, I hope it's as a striker going forward. Keep rotating him and Wilson keeping both fit and fresh.

Preference would be to stick him back in the centre and have Wilson off the bench as and when needed.

If we do want to persist with both of them starting, I'd like to see a 4-4-1-1 - Bruno & Joelinton played well as a double pivot, I want to say in the second half against Southampton? Might be misremembering that, but it was fairly recent. Think it could work.

Absolutely world class. No doubt about it. Time and time again he was under pressure but was still able to bring the ball under absolute control, turn, and then look for a forward ball. 

We're so fucking to have him, man. Can't believe it.

Going to be interesting how we go next season as I'm still not convinced on him as a through the middle lone striker with the way we currently line up (See Villa and Brentford first half). Hopefully the players brought in will be with an eye to an evolution in our tactics.

Edited by madras

He was great to watch yesterday. Just brilliant with the ball, like he can't lose it. And he can do everything..... I remember writing about his signing and finding a quote that he was a footballing unicorn.

18 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Strong take, it's exactly the same as that :lol:

Isak was by far our best player yesterday. Beat players with ease all day, hit the post with a header and laid what looked a goal on a plate for Willock only for Xhaka to get in at the last second.

This notion that taking a forward and playing them in one of the wide positions in a 4-3-3 is somehow a death knell for their chances to be productive is laughable. You make it sound like we're sticking Bellamy on the right of a 4-4-2 all over again.

Most of the best and most productive players the game has seen recently have played wide in a 4-3-3.

The most obvious player comparison for Isak is obviously Thierry Henry. When he went to Barcelona where did he play most of his football? On the left of a 4-3-3.

I'm not even adamant that he should play there. Think he'll be quality either in the centre or on the left. Much will depend on the way Howe wants his front three to operate. Top CFs are harder to find so I suspect Isak will end up in that spot.

Just the notion that playing a forward, especially one with as well rounded a game as Isak, wide in a 4-3-3 is somehow wasting them is ridiculous.