Manchester United vs Newcastle United - 16/10/22 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

12 hours ago, Ashley17 said:

Problem with dropping Longstaff is it means Bruno plays that position. I think we are better off with him further forward. Two games in 3 days probably gives us license to rotate a few anyway 

I do agree with that and it is why I commented in the Shelvey thread the other day.   Saying I'm actually looking forward to Jonjo coming back.  Which isn't something I thought I'd say. 

I guess it's just whether for this game, Joelinton's relentless work and drive is seen as more important than Bruno being able to play a bit more advanced.  Not meaning to sound negative, but I think I'd go with the former for a game at Old Trafford.  They are not what they once were.  But they're still a good team in pretty decent form, results wise. 

Big Joe is massive for us for winning the ball back and also screening the left side of defence/covering the whole left hand side of the pitch.  I think both he and ASM will start.  I feel like they come as a package deal.   

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I have a feeling we'll go with a midfield 3 of Longstaff, Joelinton, Bruno in this one.

Yeah, Willock has worked his bollocks off over the last Two matches too and maybe it wouldn’t hurt to give him the final 20-30 of this match. 

I think this'll be a tight game. The way they're achieving their current form reminds me a bit of us in the second half of last season - it's not always pretty but pragmatic & effective. Could be a bit of a trap for us to come in and really step up high when they have such threats in behind. One of the best things about Howe though is that he can be tactically flexible and we should hopefully have an even stronger bench than the weekend if Isak and Shelvey can make returns.

2-2.

This game is the first of 3 games in 7 days for us. 

Wilson and ASM won't be able to start all 3 so it would make sense to start them in the first and third game. We can't be risking them starting 2 games in 4 days given their recent injury records.

If ASM plays, then Joelinton has to play as he covers him so well.

Against Man Utd, we have to go with our full strength line up which at present (based on injuries) is:

Pope

Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn/Targett

Willock, Bruno, Joelinton

Miggy, Wilson, ASM

For Everton, hopefully Isak can replace Wilson but if not Wood should start. Murphy can come in for ASM and Longstaff can come back in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lascelles or Anderson get a start in the next 3 games either.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

Big Jow and Targett to come in for this. Think Burn would struggle against Antony and Target is solid defensively. 

This is the type of game where we'll have to dig in, forfeit possession and try and break against them when we win the ball back. Midfield 3 of Willock, Bruno and Joelinton would give us our best chance imo. Drop Longstaff, don't think he's suited to us not having the ball.

2 minutes ago, tgarve said:

How do you get them on a steady free stream on a tv? 

You dont,  I've tried and its always a bit shit.  I've used a VPN and logged into a US server and it was better but still not great 

I'd appreciate any tips, no links of course!

I’m bemused why anyone is waiting for the return of Shelvey to this team. We’re currently a mobile pressing team who are outrunning the opposition, why the fuck does anyone want that plodder back pinging balls out of play for 90mins ?

Arguably our best performance in years was at home to Arsenal with Bruno, Joelinton and Longstaff playing, folk have short memories. If all the return of Shelvey is about is playing Bruno further up the pitch, then i hope Eddie’s got more sense than some on here as Bruno is doing just great in the current line up.

45 minutes ago, tgarve said:

How do you get them on a steady free stream on a tv? 

Use/borrow a laptop plug it in the TV.  Stream wise never had any issues from the standard sources freely available on Reddit etc

43 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m bemused why anyone is waiting for the return of Shelvey to this team. We’re currently a mobile pressing team who are outrunning the opposition, why the fuck does anyone want that plodder back pinging balls out of play for 90mins ?

Arguably our best performance in years was at home to Arsenal with Bruno, Joelinton and Longstaff playing, folk have short memories. If all the return of Shelvey is about is playing Bruno further up the pitch, then i hope Eddie’s got more sense than some on here as Bruno is doing just great in the current line up.

Its the Shelvey cycle.

"Shelvey is fucking shit"
Shelvey has a few good games
"Shelvey is amazing"
Shelvey plays shit/gets sent off"
"Shelvey is fucking shit"

Edited by Slim

47 minutes ago, Nepharite said:

Apologies if this has been said already but does Eddie not start with the same 11 again? Not that I personally want that but it's possible.

Listen to his post match interview after Brentford. 

Says he likes to reward good performances unless it needs changing "tactically"

Won't start the same team, imho

58 minutes ago, 1964 said:

You dont,  I've tried and its always a bit shit.  I've used a VPN and logged into a US server and it was better but still not great 

I'd appreciate any tips, no links of course!

Ive started using Proton VPN (free) and logged into a US server and it’s been pretty damn good. 

1 hour ago, LV said:

Ive started using Proton VPN (free) and logged into a US server and it’s been pretty damn good. 

And are there some recommended sites or just any random twitter stream?

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I'm far from his biggest fan and even when he was better and fitter under Howe, I still wasn't convinced.  I think he is better than Longstaff and more suited to that deeper role than he is.  Longstaff is still pretty crap on the ball and don't think he offers much.  Just fairly decent at pressing at times, whilst not exactly being quick or mobile.  I 100% get why people want him back.  As an option for certain games, at the very least. 

Ideally, we will get someone to play the DM role.  That said, I'm not sure if if that is what Howe will go with long term.  Or if he will have a more fluid 3 and there will still be place for Joelinton in his hybrid role on the left.