Southampton 1-4 Newcastle United (06/11/2022)

BlueStar

still trying to work out wtf happened with their goal. 

each of our defenders seemed to have been in exactly the opposite position to where they should have been.

some freaky glitch in the space time continium or something.

bonkers

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

still trying to work out wtf happened with their goal. 

each of our defenders seemed to have been in exactly the opposite position to where they should have been.

some freaky glitch in the space time continium or something.

bonkers

Schar had pushed high into midfield...

... and then I am stumped.  Why was Dan Burn to the right of the CBs? :lol: 

It was after their corner. Manquilo for some reason found himself in the left back slot so everyone moved across but then Anderson got caught covering rb and burn comes sliding across to try and cover. 

Poor all round really but disorganisation can happen I suppose after a bunch of subs. 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

People forget that JWP isn’t an attacking midfielder. Plenty of people think he is because he can score a freekick and write him off because he doesn’t generally do it from open play.

He’s a good player but his loyalty to Southampton has cost him. He’s too old now for any of the bigger clubs to take him on and a move now would only be sideways or backwards.

Honestly I just think beyond set pieces that he's bang average. I don't get the hype like, never have.

5 hours ago, 54 said:

Well, four shots on target in 90 minutes probably is "nowhere near our best". Just as well they all went in!

Lots of errant passing too, even from Bruno and Trips. Botman also has his first complete howler that wasn't punished.

Southampton had good energy, so give them some credit. Whatever, it was a win. Onwards and upwards! 

2 hours ago, STM said:

Southampton vlog.

Bless their little faces when Bruno scores. :lol:

:lol: love that you can hear our lot going mental so close to them. 

Vlogging really is shite, even our own goofy Adam P. That is there forever, lads. :lol: 

Once again, I don't care that you almost certainly don't care, but here are my match ratings now I'm all settled down post match. This is based on being sat right at the back, so if you think I'm talking bollocks, blame my eyesight:

Pope - 6.5. One smart save in the first half, but other than that, made everything look simple apart from conceding at the end. Interesting that his kicking during the warm up was laser-like in its accuracy...

Trippier - 8. Simply top class. Always on the front foot, turning defence into attack instantly. Sets an incredible example.

Botman - 7. Rock solid as always. Great eye for when he needs to come across, and goes beneath the radar because he reads the game beautifully. 

Schar - 8. Compliments Botman perfectly. Won loads, covered everywhere and like Trippier, very quick to start the counter.

Burn - 7. Apart from one miss control, was great on the ball. Like a proper left back today, but with the added bonus of being a 3rd CB who is great in the air. Hard to see how Targett will fit back in.

Bruno - 9. Tough tackling, perfect ball retention, amazing passing. Scored a top goal too. Had the fans singing about him all day.

Longstaff - 6. Got stuck in as he always does. Not bad.

Willock - 7.5. Did what he had to do. Looked quicker today. Great movement for his goal, which looked like a mishit, but they all count, and I'm sure he'd say he meant to do that.

Almiron - 7.5. Quiet, apart from the goal, which was top drawer. Good energy as always.

Murphy - 5.5. Anonymous, but not as many shocking moments as usual.

Wilson - 6. Good support play when he was on. Didn't get a chance other than a header (?) before he went off.

Wood - 6.5. Quietish, not as much of a physical threat as I'd like, but took goal extremely well.

ASM - 5.5. Not much came off for him today. Looks rusty, which is not surprising. Will get better.

Shelvey - 6.5. Tracked back brilliantly to make a tackle at one point. Clearly wants his chance.

Anderson - 6. Didn't notice much.

Manquillo - 6. Didn't notice much.

Overall - looked solid at the back, scrappy in the middle and sub par in attack, yet won 4-1 away, which is the sign of a successful club. Can't wait to see a match sharp ASM and Isak in, with Jur back to add that steel back to Midfield. Shelvey and Wood look like they can add depth too.

2 hours ago, alexf said:

It was after their corner. Manquilo for some reason found himself in the left back slot so everyone moved across but then Anderson got caught covering rb and burn comes sliding across to try and cover. 

Poor all round really but disorganisation can happen I suppose after a bunch of subs. 

Simplified answer is just that Trippier wasn't on the pitch.

Well over 20% of the 'extended highlights' on nufctv is from before the game even starts, and then we don't even get one replay of their goal :lol: I get that it makes sense to focus more on our play than theirs, it'd be nice to be able to analyse what goes wrong for their goal a bit as well. 

Eurgh. Combine this with some of true recent troubles at home, some of our lot need to have a word with themselves.

from the Southampton forum:

5 Newcastle fans in the chapel set about a saints fan while 10 stewards sat and watched and did nothing .. could see it all from itchen south ! Not even fellow saints fans helped him ! Held his own for a while but was inevitably knocked to the ground … no police nothing ! Newcastle fans just moved to higher empty seats and carried on watching the game like nothing happened . 

Edited by Rafalove

4 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Eurgh. Combine this with some of true recent troubles at home, some of our lot need to have a word with themselves.

from the Southampton forum:

5 Newcastle fans in the chapel set about a saints fan while 10 stewards sat and watched and did nothing .. could see it all from itchen south ! Not even fellow saints fans helped him ! Held his own for a while but was inevitably knocked to the ground … no police nothing ! Newcastle fans just moved to higher empty seats and carried on watching the game like nothing happened . 

For all I know we have scummy "fans" in our numbers, that reads dodgy. Stewards didn't step in nor other Saints fans. Given the coverage of CCTV in grounds these days youd think the Police would have picked them up at some point. Not saying it didn't happen but maybe not as portrayed. 

Reading some of the comments he was giving the newcastle fans grief (fair enough if they're giving it the biggin in the home end)

But tbh if I was him I'd be more pissed off with my own set of fans letting me get chinned and deing nowt

Mind ave had bigger cuts shaving