Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands (Netherlands and Senegal qualify)

Big River

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

The great Dutch sides over the years have often had weak spots in defence. Talent pool much smaller than than you would think and have probably historically punched above their weight. Now they've got a pool of strong defenders but extremely limited forwards. Packing them all into one team and unsurprisingly it's dreadful to watch.

It’ll pick up when Depay starts. He has some Bruno-Miggy like connection with Bergwijn and is a class act in the orange jersey. Then there is Gakpo who’s quality and in good form. We’ll be alright as long as we can get our first XI on the pitch, but the strength in depth up front is tragic.

11 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

It’ll pick up when Depay starts. He has some Bruno-Miggy like connection with Bergwijn and is a class act in the orange jersey. Then there is Gakpo who’s quality and in good form. We’ll be alright as long as we can get our first XI on the pitch, but the strength in depth up front is tragic.

Yeah I dont doubt all that tbf - shame that Wijnaldum isn't around as like Depay he is usually electric for the national team. Do you think Simons will get any game time?

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah I dont doubt all that tbf - shame that Wijnaldum isn't around as like Depay he is usually electric for the national team. Do you think Simons will get any game time?

Yeah, I expect him to be brought in for games where we need some more energy in attack. Might stay in if he does well too.

Wijnaldum is indeed a big miss, but somehow Van Gaal was already ignoring him before he got injured.

7 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Yeah, I expect him to be brought in for games where we need some more energy in attack. Might stay in if he does well too.

Wijnaldum is indeed a big miss, but somehow Van Gaal was already ignoring him before he got injured.

Gotta be frustrating to be a fan of the team when the tactics could be far more positive, no? Dumfries and Blind as wingbacks, oof. Just play a back 4 ffs and have a proper midfield with some technicians and wingers! 

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

Gotta be frustrating to be a fan of the team when the tactics could be far more positive, no? Dumfries and Blind as wingbacks, oof. Just play a back 4 ffs and have a proper midfield with some technicians and wingers! 

I don’t mind Dumfries. The way he plays for us is not unlike Trippier at NUFC, i.e. he covers the entire right side of the pitch. Often chips in with headed goals too. Blind on the other side (figuratively and literally) is shite. Far too slow as a modern wing back and he provides almost nothing going forward either. I’d have Malacia in his place.

i think our bigggest problem is we lack creativity in midfield and struggle to break teams down. That said, we’re hard to beat and our system lends itself better playing stronger teams, so we

could yet surprise a few I reckon.