Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland (Argentina and Poland qualify)

Big River

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

How do Benfica and Porto do their thing year after year with South Americans? I saw that Benfica paid €12m for Enzo Fernandez this summer. Guaranteed profit of tens of millions already.

Think he’s rated at a hundred mil

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

How do Benfica and Porto do their thing year after year with South Americans? I saw that Benfica paid €12m for Enzo Fernandez this summer. Guaranteed profit of tens of millions already.

Going to be us next brother. 

Glad about that. Mexico offered nowt other than violence so great to see a couple of bits of quality to win the game. 

Winning by two clear goals means there is actually a relatively good chance a draw against Poland will get them through (only a Saudi win would realistically put them out in that scenario - as can't see this Mexico side running up a 3 or 4 goal win).

The two second goals in the group could be major.

Cant see Argentina beating a negative Poland and can't see Mexico, having to go for it, beating Saudi.

Didn't watch any of the last world cup but these are the worst Argentina and Mexico teams I've seen

1 hour ago, Pata said:

Putting them straight into the first team squad is a huge part of it I reckon but then they can as the football isn’t a huge change.

54 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Glad about that. Mexico offered nowt other than violence so great to see a couple of bits of quality to win the game. 

Winning by two clear goals means there is actually a relatively good chance a draw against Poland will get them through (only a Saudi win would realistically put them out in that scenario - as can't see this Mexico side running up a 3 or 4 goal win).

Wouldn’t be surprised if Saudi beat Mexico at all. 

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Exactly. It’s not how you start the tournament. It’s how you finish it. I think one of the reasons England have done well over the last few years is because we have managed our energy well.

Argentine on 2006, I think started the tournament with some of the best football seen at a World Cup but couldn’t maintain it, and crashed out in the knockout stages despite everyone saying they were unstoppable.

Maybe they are just conserving their energy then, to me they looked pretty one paced, and it took a couple of really good strikes to get the goals. They did step it up in the second half, but still not convinced. De Maria still starting would be a red flag for me, always seems to run around with no end product.

I do like their manager though, doesn't seem afraid to make early changes.

44 minutes ago, Disco said:

Putting them straight into the first team squad is a huge part of it I reckon but then they can as the football isn’t a huge change.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Saudi beat Mexico at all. 

I know what you mean but I get the feeling it might be a case of after the lord mayor's show with them. They've put loads into the first two games, and I might be wrong but I'm sure they must have some suspensions stacked up now considering the yellows accumulated.

Tbh I didnt really agree with Neville and Keane's grilling of Di Maria at half time. Other than Messi, and tbh even more than him, he has always performed for and carried Argentina to the best of his abilities. 

Seemed like bitterness just because he absolutely hated living in Manchester. He's never been somebody I've considered a flimsy player. If anything he's the opposite - durable and keeps going. Even now at 34 and on the decline.

33 minutes ago, TRon said:

Maybe they are just conserving their energy then, to me they looked pretty one paced, and it took a couple of really good strikes to get the goals. They did step it up in the second half, but still not convinced. De Maria still starting would be a red flag for me, always seems to run around with no end product.

I do like their manager though, doesn't seem afraid to make early changes.

Im not saying they were deliberately playing one paced (although Messi was and always does), but rather there is room to grow in to an international tournament as it goes on, in fact it might be in some ways preferable. You just have to keep making sure you do just enough to get through. In the knockout phase you need to be more polished especially the further you get in the tournament.

22 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I know what you mean but I get the feeling it might be a case of after the lord mayor's show with them. They've put loads into the first two games, and I might be wrong but I'm sure they must have some suspensions stacked up now considering the yellows accumulated.

Very true. Wasn’t expecting anything of Mexico but they’ve been even worse than I thought they’d be. For the sake of the tournament I’d prefer Saudi to pip them and Poland. Whoever it’ll be you’d think will bow out anyway.

4 hours ago, Disco said:

South American players find it easy to settle there - language, weather, food.

But I think the main factor is the work permit. It is easier for South American players to get work permit in Portugal which means there are no administrative barriers to the move.  So not sure if the Benfica and Porto success story in recruiting South American talents is due to careful scouting or safety in numbers. According to this, currently there are 111 players from Brazil plying their trade in Liga Portugal.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/liga-portugal/gastarbeiter/wettbewerb/PO1

Think Poland will stifle Argentina and get the draw they need, can see Saudi beating Mexico as well based on what I have seen from both teams so far this tournament.  Saudi win group with Poland 2nd.

Edited by Geogaddi