57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'd trade a decade of top 4 places for a FAC win. As it stands, 7th would be a let down, we should crush that easily.

I keep saying this, but we aren't Ashley's any more. Let's stop trotting out the tired old Pardewism about cups being distractions. We should be aiming to win stuff, not cow our heads before the 'Sky 6'.

Let's enjoy upsetting the entitled established order instead of defeating ourselves before we start. We are bigger than Spurs, Man City and Chelsea. We just had an absolute handbrake of an owner and didn't have as much money. Until now...

I’d trade my tight little arsehole on Grindr for an FAC win 

Edited by bobbydazzla

17 minutes ago, Nine said:

Think you have taken my post a bit to literally there, im saying a cup run being an extra run of games that will add the percentages of injuries up and tire our high intensity game out towards the end of the season.

Im being realistic and looking at things pragmatically, not just saying 'yeah we'll be top 4 and win a cup because we arnt owned by Ashley anymore'. Lets not label things as 'Pardewism or Ashleyism' just because its not the overly positive reaction that some people seem to be expecting already, lets keep it realistic. You perceiving my post the way you did is exactly the type stuff that gets us labelled as deluded, bigger than City and Chelsea? Not on the pitch (where being 'big' counts) for a very long time. 

In terms of fanbase when you take the plastics away, we're as big as anyone bar Man U or Liverpool. Get a couple of trophies in the locker, and in 20 years time, we'll be right up there long term. On the pitch ebbs and flows, but we're headed very much in the right direction. 

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

Qualifying for Europe would be a double-edged sword next season. On the one hand we'd immediately become higher profile that would make it easier to sign better players, attract bigger and better sponsorship deals and have more games and bring more money into the club.

On the other hand we'd stretch a very limited and thin squad to the absolute limit when we most need them. As a result of the way the club has been run for the last decade or so there are virtually no youth prospects, the reserves are still poor. We have zero pool of players to dip into to flesh out squads on a Thursday night and then play again on a Sunday afternoon, we just don't have the quality or quantity just yet. 

If we had, say £80m, to spend this summer we would need to balance it between buying 2 £40m players to lift the first XI OR buying 8 players at a lower quality to bulk the squad out a bit and cope better with European football. I don't think we can afford to do both

9 minutes ago, midds said:

Qualifying for Europe would be a double-edged sword next season. On the one hand we'd immediately become higher profile that would make it easier to sign better players, attract bigger and better sponsorship deals and have more games and bring more money into the club.

On the other hand we'd stretch a very limited and thin squad to the absolute limit when we most need them. As a result of the way the club has been run for the last decade or so there are virtually no youth prospects, the reserves are still poor. We have zero pool of players to dip into to flesh out squads on a Thursday night and then play again on a Sunday afternoon, we just don't have the quality or quantity just yet. 

If we had, say £80m, to spend this summer we would need to balance it between buying 2 £40m players to lift the first XI OR buying 8 players at a lower quality to bulk the squad out a bit and cope better with European football. I don't think we can afford to do both

Totally agree and this is why missing out on a euro spot this season might not be the worst thing to happen, how often have we seen outside the top 6 sides qualify for Europe and then have a bad season the PL due to the extra fixtures? We could especially suffer for the way we set out to play in the PL. 

I dont think we will ever flesh out the squad with 6/7/8 players in one window under the current regime, Howe seems very into the idea of bringing in a few each window and getting them settled. With all that being said, 1 or 2 in Jan and another 3/4 in the summer and the squad will look a whole lot better again although no guarantee we do that kind of business after the money we've already spent so far. 

I just don't understand attitude like that. I was there in our last European tie a decade ago and it has been a long enough wait, no matter how ill-equipped our squad would be for it. If we miss out on few positions in the league the following season due to that, I honestly don't care.

On the face of it maybe privately the club would be saying where we are albeit deserved on merit is much higher than anticipated. We haven't finished developing the first 11 never mind the bench on match days. We no doubt wanted a few more transfer windows and season on season improvement (right now we are skipping a chunk of growing phase). Partly because no matter how savvy you are in the transfer market squad building costs money and it all can't be done due to FFP in a very short space of time. 

Like others have mentioned you get Europe you get your foot in the door for a certain bracket of player. In the same token we hope fighting on multiple competitions will be our "rivals" downfall we certainly don't want it to be ours next season. 

The faster we establish ourselves the better for me. I find it amazing how much even I thought we needed to spend to catch up to the top 6/7 due to how year on year they have been funded over our scrimping. Now it's a long season ahead and no doubt there will be instances before of sides being right up there and the fading away (hard to remember when you were in the relegation debate section of most conversations over the years) but right now I admit I search for us on YouTube to get snippets from podcasts, program segments etc just bigging us up and saying how well we are doing. 

Edited by nufcjmc

29 minutes ago, Pata said:

I just don't understand attitude like that. I was there in our last European tie a decade ago and it has been a long enough wait, no matter how ill-equipped our squad would be for it. If we miss out on few positions in the league the following season due to that, I honestly don't care.

Not saying your wrong not to want Europe but what I wouldn't want is say we get 6th this season and get Europe we do what we can in the windows and some players stay or come with the right attitude but did so over somewhere else because we also have Europe. The following season due to the lack of strength and depth through games or injuries we finish 8th/9th and get no Europe. 

Alot of the sides at the top are relying on Europe in some form every year. Now financially it may not bother us " doing a leeds" but from squad building and the type of players we have on the books it may. 

Edited by nufcjmc

Something bad might happen, something good might also happen. I don't see the point in being scared of being successful. We might not get Europe the following year and everyone good wants to leave. We could also have a great European campaign that raises the profile of the club and helps establish us as one of the "big seven".

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

It already is. 

After the run of results this month its really heading towards 7th being the realistic minimum, its all about how we come back after the WC for me 

1 minute ago, Nine said:

After the run of results this month its really heading towards 7th being the realistic minimum, its all about how we come back after the WC for me 

Same. This season we will see a split in form from teams. Let’s see how we are doing coming out of January.

And don’t forget we are supposed to be strengthening the squad in a couple of positions for the second half of the season. And Isak hasn’t played much yet. If we keep playing like this, I would say 5th should be our minimum target. 

Edited by Solitude20