World Cup Final: Argentina 3-3 France (4-2 pens) - Argentina are world champions

27 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Argentina's only real weakness has been a fragility immediately after conceding that's seen them nearly blow several games they'd controlled for 80 minutes. They've only conceded 11 shots on goal in the entire tournament. They completely outplayed Netherlands, Croatia and France and are totally deserving winners.

Yeah that is spot on. All four of their knockout games were remarkably similar really. Only the Croatia one they got that killer goal to prevent a meltdown.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Spain 2010 might have been a complete side but fuck me they were dull. Give me this Argentina side over them any day to watch.

I know Messi skews it a little but it’s always preferable to see the side that is clearly team winning than the side that has the better individuals. Argentina by no means the best individuals but their spirit and togetherness as well as their clear willingness to do the hard and extra yards to enable Messi later in to games was superb stuff. 

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Keep watching this and with every time get ever more emotional. 

Hope to experience this myself one day with NUFC 

Where were you last week when wor skipper held aloft the gold?

24 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Madness. Love it. Must be a million or two there easily. That highway is absolutely fucking massive.

Love that commentator, who I read hasn’t lived in Argentina for decades, still being absolutely incapable of saying the S at the start of Scaloni’s name in true Argie fashion. 

The team spirit and togetherness in that Argentina team was amazing. Player like Dybala always smiling and celebrating after only playing few minutes is amazing to see and even in World Cup it just doesn't always happen.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Brazil 94-02 and Spain 08-12 were pretty much complete sides too - and I do think that Germany 14 and France 18 were clearly head and shoulders above everyone.

This Argentina side are (IMO) the weakest winner in some time - they may be the weakest since Maradona carried their last winning side in 86, though there are arguments for Italy 06.

It is odd though how Euros and Copa Americas spring up surprise winners and WCs don't.  It is hard to imagine Denmark or Peru, or Greece or Bolivia winning a WC.  It will be good for the competition if it ever does happen.

They are certainly not. That Italy squad of 2006 was not great and had a lot of criticism going into the tournament. Also, 82 Italy should have been blown away by easily the best team to never win the World Cup. Zico had his shirt ripped off and the ref refused to call anything. Germany that year was not so strong  and managed to brawl their way past a fantastic France side. Who can forget Schumacher’s infamous tackle that would be banned in the nfl? Some of the worst officiating in history put two very flawed sides into the 82 final.

this Argentina team at least played with a lot of adventure, and had some incredible team counter attack goals.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Brazil 94-02 and Spain 08-12 were pretty much complete sides too - and I do think that Germany 14 and France 18 were clearly head and shoulders above everyone.

This Argentina side are (IMO) the weakest winner in some time - they may be the weakest since Maradona carried their last winning side in 86, though there are arguments for Italy 06.

It is odd though how Euros and Copa Americas spring up surprise winners and WCs don't.  It is hard to imagine Denmark or Peru, or Greece or Bolivia winning a WC.  It will be good for the competition if it ever does happen.

You cant rate a team just based on talent. This Argentina team had the intangible, grit, the desire to get over the line which is unquantifiable. Dropping a two goal lead in the 80th minute, then regrouping taking the lead, losing that lead again. Then having the clarity of mind to win it in the penalties - that mentality is immense. Also not easy winning the Copa America in Brazil in 2021. Not a lot of teams have managed to win the continental championship and the world cup in a few years time span.

Not a final but they say West Germany v France in 82 was like this. Regarded as a classic but for most of the game was pretty drab they say.

Watching this again now and it really wasn't a game for 80minutes notable for anything other than an exceptionally bad performance from France and a great Argentine second goal.

As a foot note, couldn't watch Extra so tried to avoid, put the radio on (Metro) and the first song I heard in full was "Finally" by Ce Ce Peniston (also got a bunch of highlights on disk from the 78 World Cup to watch over Christmas) coincidence?

Yes.

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Whinging about a ref that gave them two pens [emoji38]

Sounds like us tbf. ?

Thought the referee had a great game. The call on the dive on Thuram was top notch.

Edited by CPL

53 minutes ago, CPL said:

Sounds like us tbf. ?

Thought the referee had a great game. The call on the dive on Thuram was top notch.

I thought that at the time too. It was ballsy. Lesser refs would have ignored that, or worse, given a pen.