Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Not every signing is going to work. Every top manager has had made some ricks . That being said look what a pre season together has done for these players (Miggy and Murphy being perfect examples). Gordon's desperate to do well and that attitude along with Eddie's coaching gives me all the faith that the lad can be a success here.

People writing this guy off so early, have you not been paying attention to how players have exceeded expectations under the current management? 

He’s had cameos and brief minutes so far, with an actual run in the team we can judge fairly. Shame that won’t be happening anytime soon as we are performing well enough that he won’t be taking anyones place, an injury or suspension might give him a chance soon. 

3 hours ago, 54 said:

This kid has some real self esteem issues!

Definitely feel he's low on confidence on the pitch right now too. He looked a little bit crushed when he missed that chance. Glad the fans in attendance stick by him. Believe it will come good eventually. Eddie seems to glow when he is asked about him which I take as a big show of faith...

Edited by 80

Difficult to come on after so many changes plus we were so far ahead of Spurs. Would like to see him get some starts with our strongest players in the team and see how he does and then judge.

Eddie will need to work his magic with Gordon,  never fancied him and couldn't  see how anyone would pay 40 million  for him.but will be delighted  to be wrong.he needs support  and encouragement from everyone. 

If I have one immediate observation, it's that I think he can work on is his pass-and-move mentality. He gets the ball, holds it up well, lays it off, and his head goes down and he trots off towards the middle of the pitch. I wouldn't normally pick faults so early into a player' s career here, but he could really do with shadowing Almiron a bit in training - give-and-go is all he does. Maybe it's a fitness thing, but he doesn't seem to do much off the ball when we're in possession right now. I'm used to players like Joelinton, Willock, Murphy and Almiron making runs for Bruno but Gordon doesn't do this (yet).

He's got loads more talent already than some of the players Eddie has turned into stars this season, so I have no doubt that this kid is going to be unreal for us in time.

I think Gordon has talent and think Howe can make him a great player. One thing that slightly concerned me today was he was on for about 20 mins and by the end he Was visibility blowing out his arse. This was something the Everton fans highlighted and hopefully something that is easily remedied with a full preseason with Eddie.

Edited by Schecter

Eddie’s turned Joelinton into a fucking beast, somehow managed to get Miggy into double figures for goals in a season and got Jacob Murphy casually pinging in 30 yarders.

Give him a year and see how he’s doing. He’s going to get shed loads of game time in the next 12 months and i’m sure he’ll come on massively. 

20 hours ago, gbandit said:

I like his movement a lot and his pace. I do think his head drops a bit too much when we’re out of possession. Although he’s fast, his work to press doesn’t quite match up to the rest of the players I think. I’m looking forward to seeing his game develop though 

He does an Everton press. It starts a split second too late and lacks intensity.

But he's great when he thinks the ball is to be won.

20 hours ago, Smal said:

Hope somebody works with him on his dribbling in training. He’s ok at pass and move but doesn’t really look like he can beat his man at all.

Getting nothing from Ashley Young was embarassing. I don't think he's an inside forward type at all. Much more traditional RW run and cross or playing little 1-2's Almiron style to beat a man.

I didn't like his finish 1v1. Generally don't think he's a final third player yet.

He seems a bit frustrated and he needs to calm down a bit. He'll not be starting much for the rest of the season - he should use that as motivation and to make the most of his cameos. He's probably 5th choice winger when everyone's fit but Eddie is still getting him 20-30 minutes a game which should reassure him that he's part of the plans. We'll need him at some point this season.

Unfortunately he's part of the 007 club. 0 goals. 0 assists. 7+ appearances. That's always tough for new attacking signings, they want to come in and make an immediate impact. It's not been picked up by the media yet but he won't want to go 15 appearances and 0 goal contributions. That's why he's so frustrated at the missed chance. He's not got going. He might have expected to battle Almiron and ASM for a wide starting spot when he joined. But with them injured, the stand-ins performing well, he's found himself at the bottom of the pile with the young HG talent.

Thought Willock played him in a bit too late yesterday, an earlier pass and Gordon has a few more options rather than Forster being able to close the space down so well. He was also in at the end when the move broke down it just needed another pass to the left and he was clean through.

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He does an Everton press. It starts a split second too late and lacks intensity.

But he's great when he thinks the ball is to be won.

Getting nothing from Ashley Young was embarassing. I don't think he's an inside forward type at all. Much more traditional RW run and cross or playing little 1-2's Almiron style to beat a man.

I didn't like his finish 1v1. Generally don't think he's a final third player yet.

He seems a bit frustrated and he needs to calm down a bit. He'll not be starting much for the rest of the season - he should use that as motivation and to make the most of his cameos. He's probably 5th choice winger when everyone's fit but Eddie is still getting him 20-30 minutes a game which should reassure him that he's part of the plans. We'll need him at some point this season.

Unfortunately he's part of the 007 club. 0 goals. 0 assists. 7+ appearances. That's always tough for new attacking signings, they want to come in and make an immediate impact. It's not been picked up by the media yet but he won't want to go 15 appearances and 0 goal contributions. That's why he's so frustrated at the missed chance. He's not got going. He might have expected to battle Almiron and ASM for a wide starting spot when he joined. But with them injured, the stand-ins performing well, he's found himself at the bottom of the pile with the young HG talent.

Young is no fool. diving twat but he is a good pro.

they were all shit that day.

12 minutes ago, KDT said:

Thought Willock played him in a bit too late yesterday, an earlier pass and Gordon has a few more options rather than Forster being able to close the space down so well. He was also in at the end when the move broke down it just needed another pass to the left and he was clean through.

Thought the timing of the pass was good but too far ahead of Gordon and too close to the keeper.

Just a bit less on it and Gordon has time to pick his spot a bit more rather than just trying to nick it by the keeper.

Do feel like he'll become a very effective member of the squad once he's had a bit longer under Howe and is used to playing with the rest of the lads. Have seen very little from him to suggest he's ever going to become a star player for us but think he'll be decent. Maybe not exactly what you hope to get from a £40m signing but his age and nationality will probably mean he'll ultimately prove to be decent value for money.

(Also, there's a fair chance that after a year or so Howe will turn him into an absolutely world class winger, obviously :lol:)