Anthony Gordon

Jack27

15 minutes ago, ianbeany said:

Some fucking hilarious comments on GrandOldTeam

"McNeil is just as good as Gordon if not better, is one year older and was half the price of what we sold Gordon for. He scored a goal gifted on a plate to him, chill out."

"He hasn't really become a better player at Newcastle. He just has more room to run with the ball than he did with us and that is making him seem better."

"He's been bang average for Newcastle too but the Skunks want to make a rivalry where every time he kicks a ball forward they'll want to justify the price tag."

Fuck knows what that last one is meant to mean [emoji38]

I assume skunks refers to the fact skunks are black and white coloured, hence our strip, I have no idea re the rivalry, we don't want a rivalry with Everton, they're embarrassing

12 minutes ago, Mountain said:

I assume skunks refers to the fact skunks are black and white coloured, hence our strip, I have no idea re the rivalry, we don't want a rivalry with Everton, they're embarrassing

Oh aye I got the skunks bit.  It's just the second half of the sentence I struggled with

A brilliant performance from him which deserved a win. Great movement and never loses the ball.

He gets lots of hate for reasons I can't quite comprehend, I think it is some combination of his face, his accent, his history with prior clubs, and his tenaciousness on the field, so huge amounts of noise to screen out about him. If you'll excuse the politics, some of the noise will be from folks with otherwise progressive views, because kicking down on people who seem working class or "common" never gets the limelight other forms of prejudice do. 

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

He was very good. Will be helped a lot when there is Hall playing behind him and attacking the space Gordon creates when he comes inside.

Love when he cuts in and plays that reverse through ball.

Yeah, an overlapping full back would open up even more opportunities for combinations with him.

5 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Best game he's had so far. I'd like to see him replace Almiron but not sure how effective he would be playing on the right.

Yeah, I keep thinking I’d like to see him at least have a go on the right. He is quite two footed in comparison to a lot of our players. But I suppose you would be taking away his main weapon. That quick shift inside and the pass and move. 

Barnes has been really bad in his last two sub apps and all. So can’t see it happening for a while. 

Does seem a bit mad if we are going into the season with Almiron and Murphy as our right wingers. 

23 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yeah, I keep thinking I’d like to see him at least have a go on the right. He is quite two footed in comparison to a lot of our players. But I suppose you would be taking away his main weapon. That quick shift inside and the pass and move. 

Barnes has been really bad in his last two sub apps and all. So can’t see it happening for a while. 

Does seem a bit mad if we are going into the season with Almiron and Murphy as our right wingers. 

When we signed Gordon I thought one of the ideas behind it was to challenge Almiron. Gordon played on the right for Everton for quite a few games in his breakthrough season and was brilliant. He could go down the outside and whip some great balls in, certainly for Isak making near post runs, or come inside and still be direct that way. Very surprised at how reluctant Howe has been to play him there and that it seemingly wasn’t part of the thinking. Now that he happens to be excelling at LW is a little bit of a conundrum because you want him to keep going but I do think Almiron needs rotating and I think Barnes will add goals / assists one he is starting games, but I think he’s less flexible position-wise than Gordon. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

I'm not quite sure what's going on but Gordon being our star and Bruno being criticised is not what I was expecting 3 games in.[emoji38]

The sentiment has flipped already [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Absolutely gutted his goal counts for nothing. Would have been a beautiful moment for the lad. What's clear though is that we've knocked the Everton out of him and he's starting to look like a real player.

One of the things I hated about him at Everton was how easy he used to go to ground to try and win free kicks all the time. At the end of last season he struggled to bed himself in with the squad but during the summer break he's clearly been coached well and now seems to be one of our best players.

He's quality mind. Most I've ever felt being wrong about a player we've signed. I probably just didn't watch Everton enough to judge him tbf because they are shite. Love his dribbling, ability to go outside or inside, and willingness to attempt incisive through balls.

Really hopeful he can thrive. He's doing well on that side but I do wonder if we could get him on the right with Barnes left.

9 hours ago, Stottie said:

A brilliant performance from him which deserved a win. Great movement and never loses the ball.

He gets lots of hate for reasons I can't quite comprehend, I think it is some combination of his face, his accent, his history with prior clubs, and his tenaciousness on the field, so huge amounts of noise to screen out about him. If you'll excuse the politics, some of the noise will be from folks with otherwise progressive views, because kicking down on people who seem working class or "common" never gets the limelight other forms of prejudice do. 

Not sure class has much to do with it and that kind of prejudice works both ways. The majority of English footballers seem to come from working class backgrounds. I agree on his accent (more as it’s scouse) and looks though, which definitely unfairly create a more negative perception of someone. 

Ideal game for him yesterday. Playing against TAA who can't defend for shit.

He is rapid but can also play good through ball :thup: 

Pity his goal won't be remembered after that result, but his talent is clear for all to see.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

He's quality mind. Most I've ever felt being wrong about a player we've signed. I probably just didn't watch Everton enough to judge him tbf because they are shite. Love his dribbling, ability to go outside or inside, and willingness to attempt incisive through balls.

Really hopeful he can thrive. He's doing well on that side but I do wonder if we could get him on the right with Barnes left.

Think there’s a very good chance we’ll see Gordon on the right at some point but not starting. When his fitness is up to the full 90 I can see him switching to the right towards the end of matches with Barnes coming on