Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

Totally need a signing or two.

Cant ask anymore from some of these players but we cant get anymore out of them either.

The team is sound, we'll have the better of most games.

Just need to take some of the pressure off the stretched small squad

Edited by Jonas

13 minutes ago, tommo said:

Some overreactions in here I think. 15 unbeaten, league cup semi final to come and 10 days left of the transfer window where I’m sure we’ll strengthen. Decent point today I thought all things considered. 

Its such a disappointing attitude.

Were punching well above our weight. Had we been where Villa are, which most thought we would be, that would have been a very satisfying result and performance.

People who went on like that during the last such unbeaten run (I'm guessing under KK?!) would have stood out as right nuggets.

Just now, Jonas said:

Its such a disappointing attitude.

Were punching well above our weight. Had we been where Villa are, which most thought we would be, that would have been a very satisfying result and performance.

People who went on like that during the last such unbeaten run (I'm guessing under KK?!) would have stood out as right nuggets.

Pardew was the last unbeaten run like that 

1 minute ago, IzzyIsak said:

It isn't overracting to say our corners are a bit shit, they just are.

You can be delighted with how we are doing, and be critical of certain aspects.

I think our corners are at their best when we try something different but we can’t do that more than once a game really. Our stock corners seem to be coming to nothing most of the time which is odd given how tall so many of our players are, but it has to be said that when we do get our head on the ball we are so poor at getting pace and direction on it

5 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

It isn't overreacting to say our corners are a bit shit, they just are.

Problem is we did have many good chances, our players just couldn't head it in.

1 minute ago, GlenMag said:

We're third in the league over the half way point with a mid table first team and a championship at best bench. Not even the most deluded of us thought we would be here at this stage of this season.

Don't panic folks.

Good point and well made. We are crying out for a better, or another,  ‘master craftsman’ attacking midfielder though. Swap Longstaff for a Maddison and whilst we may (would we though?) lose some energy we would have seen far better final balls and would (may well have) won two or three of that impressive haul of draws. Bring in a Gallagher as well as a Maddison and we would look even better still. Like most I am really enjoying where we are, but scary how close we are to an even higher level. 

4 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Problem is we did have many good chances, our players just couldn't head it in.

It was the same v Fulham.

Maybe every team has this problem.

I'd like to see the goals from corners league table.

Not surprised some people overreact, sadly some people are not patient and they fail to see the bigger picture.

At full time it did feel like 2 points dropped because we were the better team, created more chances and other results went our way so this was an opportunity to increase the gap.

However the feeling after that initial disappointment is one of absolute pride as to how far we have come. That's 6 clean sheets in a row and 15 games unbeaten.

We are now 5 points clear of 5th (let's assume the worst and Brighton win their game in hand) and we are 7 points clear of 7th (again, let's assume the worst with the game in hand), all with a superior goal difference too.

It's a bloody amazing season, we can't win every game and I'm confident the owners will back Howe with some additional reinforcements. 

I'm just delighted to see teams treat us like a big side, just over a year ago they bullied us from start to finish. That alone shows how far we have come. 

Now we have two massive matches coming up, just need to get through to the final.

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

11 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

It isn't overreacting to say our corners are a bit shit, they just are.

It was said in Sky's prediction page for the weekend's results that we are underperforming quite a bit in terms of scoring goals from set pieces against our xG from set pieces.

9 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Not surprised some people overreact, sadly some people are not patient and they fail to see the bigger picture.

At full time it did feel like 2 points dropped because we were the better team, created more chances and other results went our way so this was an opportunity to increase the gap.

However the feeling after that initial disappointment is one of absolute pride as to how far we have come. That's 6 clean sheets in a row and 15 games unbeaten.

We are now 5 points clear of 5th (let's assume the worst and Brighton win their game in hand) and we are 7 points clear of 7th (again, let's assume the worst with the game in hand), all with a superior goal difference too.

It's a bloody amazing season, we can't win every game and I'm confident the owners will back Howe with some additional reinforcements. 

I'm just delighted to see teams treat us like a big side, just over a year ago they bullied us from start to finish. That alone shows how far we have come. 

Now we have two massive matches coming up, just need to get through to the final.

:clap::clap::clap:

It just felt like one of those unlucky games where the ball just wouldn't go in.

Wilson didn't have much of an impact and struggled to hold the ball up. I'd be very tempted to start with Isak on Tuesday.

I thought Dyer made a going point afterwards - that many teams are now defending deep against us and we could do with an individual who can unlock that sort of defence.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

It just felt like one of those unlucky games where the ball just wouldn't go in.

Wilson didn't have much of an impact and struggled to hold the ball up. I'd be very tempted to start with Isak on Tuesday.

I thought Dyer made a going point afterwards - that many teams are now defending deep against us and we could do with an individual who can unlock that sort of defence.

Good points; as was Dyer’s re having less space behind a low block for Miggy (in particular) to exploit. We need a couple of alternative options, maybe from craftier players.