Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

3 0-0s in our last 4 is a bit concerning like. We dominated the game today but didn't create any real gilt-edged chances.

Not sure if the priority this window needs to be an AM who unlocks defences or a winger who chips in with goals and assists, but suspect we'll need at least one of the two if we want to retain our position. We're going to experience quite a few more games like this otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think that Arsenal 0-0 can be discounted given it was a game where we earned a good point rather than toiled in front of goal.

Agree that's a point gained but even in that game we had prolonged periods we were on top but created nowt. It's more the games against the likes of Leeds and Palace I'm on about though, aye :thup: Sometimes teams sit back and we struggle. 

Edited by Interpolic

Probably need to have sanity check at where we’ve got to so far. Massively over performing team. Understandable that our energy levels are dropping. We’re still doing magnificently all things considered. 

2 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Agree that's a point gained but even in that game we had prolonged periods we were on top but created nowt. It's more the games against the likes of Leeds and Palace I'm on about though, aye :thup: Sometimes teams sit back and we struggle. 

Oh aye, off the top of my head both fixtures against Palace, Bournemouth and Leeds at home, we've struggled to break down a well organised low block.

Whey, whilst it would have been great to win and extend that gap to 5th and 6th, at least its another match undefeated, and another clean sheet (brilliant save by Pope).

Edited by TK-421

Just now, Shearergol said:

Thought Joelinton was abysmal tonight. Against teams who don’t try to attack us he’s a pointless player.

Completely disagree, he set Willock free with a fantastic pass early in the first half. He did his usual job of mopping up numerous times by tracking back. He got into some good positions and didn’t strike the ball cleanly, not great but it shows he’s got more confidence now and while I don’t think he’ll ever be a completely natural finisher I do think he’ll improve. His general passing is really accurate

Just now, Shearergol said:

In comparison to his other performances yeah. Obviously better than me playing there.

Thought he was the only one of the front three that was anywhere near his usual standard. He was on it, finishing aside, which is fairy normal.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Thought he was the only one of the front three that was anywhere near his usual standard. He was on it, finishing aside, which is fairy normal.

Just didn’t see it that way at all. I want him back in midfield. If we’re trying to break teams down he’s not creative enough.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Joelinton isn’t a left winger we are just muddying through in that position as Murphy is too inferior and ASM is too thick.

it’s the weak link in the team that we need to fix

Most of our best play/chances, especially in the first half, came down our left hand side.