[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

'All of a sudden' - they added £220m worth of players to what was already one of the most expensive squads in the world. :lol:

3rd and beating us next week should be the absolute minimum for them.

Well, the ‘all of a sudden’ comment was in reference to the fact that they’ve spent an absolute fortune and still been utter shit for several years. It’s only since Ten Hag came in that they’ve looked like a side with an identity

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Well, the ‘all of a sudden’ comment was in reference to the fact that they’ve spent an absolute fortune and still been utter shit for several years. It’s only since Ten Hag came in that they’ve looked like a side with an identity

Not to mention a lot of the big money signings and big wage players have been let go or dropped. 

Ronaldo, Pogba, Maguire, Mata, Lingard, Cavani, Matic, Telles, Bailly etc. 

It's a new look side. What we have spent in the past is largely irrelevant to our performance this season. So I would agree with you that it is quite sudden. ETH has had a much bigger impact than expected. 

Don't realistically expect us to win to be honest.  Taking this as a free hit, with no pressure on, which is helping with the nerves.

We can't forgot that we are way ahead of schedule with the team.  If we do lose, it doesn't diminish the tremendous progress we have made on and off the pitch. 

Winning would make for an utterly amazing day mind.  

I suffer with serious anxiety and it's issues I have been trying to control for the last 12 months. I turned the game off after the red card yesterday as I tend to focus on certain things and work myself up about them. I've woken up this morning and just thought "who cares just enjoy the occasion". Bruno back will play a massive part goal keepers are more interchangeable than outfield players we could have had a bigger player sent off and miss the game Botman, schar, burn trippier, longstaff, Bruno, almiron, isak, Wilson would all be a bigger miss than pope.

I know Eddie has an identity and will want to play his way....but sometimes you have to play the team that are Infront of you. 

Liverpool are and were rapid upfront so simply putting the ball over the top of our defenders worked 3 times in the first 20 mins and ripped us apart. 

Man U are a little more reliant on just one pace merchant but he's in exceptional form and they will attempt to do the same thing. 

I really would prefer us to drop a little deeper and then use Isak/Wilson, ASM, Almiron and possibly Willock to hit them on the counter ourselves. 

Otherwise I do really fear that they will just sit and be hard to beat and then pick us off with Rashford on the counter.

Edited by alexf

Really unsure what way ETH is going to go at right back. On the one hand if you go with ASM then AWB is the best choice by far, otherwise Dalot is 100x better going forward and will help to pressure Burn. 

Actually think that decision by Howe/ETH is where this game will be won. I'm no coach but I think overloading our right hand side is key. If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be desperate for ASM to start this game. 

Edited by Froggy

8 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Seems targett has played and scored in a B team full match. So he will be back i expect

Back in to start the final? I'd doubt it myself but definitely think he'd improve our chances. 

Just think Howe would realise how Burn would be very deflated by missing out. 

It's a big call.

I didn't think we had much of a chance before we played on Saturday......now, I think we are rank outsiders.

As someone else said, it sort of takes the pressure off a bit...for fans, and who knows, the players.

Backs to the wall and all that?

They've got 2 games before this with 1 of them possibly going into extra time. Playing on a Thursday before a Sunday Cup final is a big ask, even a little knock or strain to any player could have a big impact on their team selection. 

Anything could happen on the day, minus Pope we're full strength and have a full week to prepare, train and rest. 

Maxi looking in good form, Bruno back. 

At this moment in time I think we are in very favourable place. 

This is the same team barring pope who have played out their skin and been in top position all season. 

We create chances. We just don’t put them away. People have said someone is going to get a proper hiding from us.

Let it be in the final.

There is zero reason why we can’t win this. 

Some are expecting a park the bus scenario. Fuck sake. We can play these off the park if we put our mind to it.

The best combination for me would be starting ASM Wilson Isak. Isak right now doesn't look like an out and out striker, Wilson keeps his position and moves well, Isak is a bit of a drifter.

Think with Bruno, Joelinton, and Longstaff, behind those three, we could make something happen.

Our last league win, and we looked a threat, was when Wilson and Isak shared the pitch against Fulham. 

Edited by mighty__mag

They're currently a very good team so playing them off the park isn't going to be very easy, like.

We can be a very good counter side and ASM is one of the best around with space to drive into, so I expect us to largely sit in a mid-block and egg them on, but we'll trigger some pressing higher up on occasion. Expecting Isak (would rather Wilson) and Willock to start on the bench who are both pretty handy options to come on.

The pressure does feel off a lot more which is way more enjoyable for the build-up.

2 hours ago, Gazzaschicken said:

I suffer with serious anxiety and it's issues I have been trying to control for the last 12 months. I turned the game off after the red card yesterday as I tend to focus on certain things and work myself up about them. I've woken up this morning and just thought "who cares just enjoy the occasion". Bruno back will play a massive part goal keepers are more interchangeable than outfield players we could have had a bigger player sent off and miss the game Botman, schar, burn trippier, longstaff, Bruno, almiron, isak, Wilson would all be a bigger miss than pope.

I'm sorry like, but after Bruno and Trippier, Pope has been our most influential player this season.

Edited by Beth

Typical Newcastle going into a cup final full of doubts, I posted a couple of weeks back, have we peaked and is Eddie the Manager to Win Cups and titles or do we need a experienced Euro Manager ?

Eddie Howe capable of taking us to the top, I don't know and truth be told nobody knows at this moment in time, I hope to God Eddie has the ability to turn us into a Domestic and Euro success.

I'll not bang this drum any further, this is my final say.......bring in Rafa into the club in some capacity, his experience is invaluable, you don't reach the zenith without someone experienced to guide and show the way.

The players have been absolutely magnificent, they have given their all, we've gone from backs to the wall, to a expectation that we should win.......that's a very different mindset, one being, were not going to get beat, to they expect us to win!

I don't believe we have players good enough to dominate games yet, Eddie's tactic of a high press has shown dividends but Liverpool showed we are vulnerable with the ball over the top.

It will take time to assemble a strong playing squad, we are on a journey that will take time and understanding support from the terraces, we will have more games like the Liverpool one, I've watched football long enough to know some days lady luck deserts you and the bounce of the ball doesn't go your way.

Hopefully the Carabao Cup Final will reset us, it's not a League game, it's a one off game that will be settled on the day and the winner is crowned champions, the mindset will be backs to the wall and we won't get beat, Man U are favourites and people expect them to win, we won't let that happen, we won't get beat, we are here to WIN

NEWCASTLE UNITED WILL WIN THE CARABAO CUP..... BECAUSE WE WILL NOT GET BEAT

(Tin hat back on)

I share the sentiment of others on the nerves, feels like less pressure going into the game now. I couldn’t go yesterday so was sat at home, nervous as fuck until the wheels fell off. Can’t imagine what I’ll be like down there on the day. Just hope we turn up and then anything can happen. We’ve got the players to win the game, as they have. I have them as favourites but it’s a cup final; mentality matters a lot and we’ve got a fantastic spirit in the team. Big Joe & Bruno will hopefully be absolutely all over them and if the lads up top find their shooting boots we can win. Wish it was Saturday already. 

There's not a chance we can or will play them off the park FFS [emoji38]

The best way to win this will be to be conservative and cagey. If we play with the same tactics next week as the ones we started off with yesterday then we will get mullered. If we had kept 11 players on the pitch last night then Liverpool would have scored at least another goal. They were picking us off totally on the counter.

Player for player Man U are better than us in most positions right now. We need to understand this to prepare for it tactically to have a chance of winning.

Edited by Wandy

Think the best part and has been spoken very little about this far is the all Brazilian battle in midfield. The master against the apprentice will be very interesting to watch, hopefully Bruno and Jo have a big point to prove and play out their skin.