Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

13 minutes ago, Sima said:

Is this being reported anywhere else outside of the Mail?

Haven't seen it myself (yet), just people re-reporting the Mail

12 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Ornstein throwing some cold water on the news

IMG_8769.jpeg

IMG_8770.jpeg

Gone from hard as The Shard, to hard as  lard in an afternoon. Disappointing.

Yeah even with the news today I wasn't even excited to be honest, I can't see them adopting a luxury tax. That said I'm somewhat more optimistic on them maybe dropping the related sponsorship rules which could be just as good for us.

It’s not just going to come crashing down immediately but clearly it’s all going to fall apart. You can’t have multiple clubs every few months being fucked for just trying to compete above the relegation spots. We’ll never get completely free rein but we’ll be able to get where we need to within a few years and once we’re there we’ll have the spending power to consolidate ourselves as a top club 

1 minute ago, t00nt00n313 said:

Yeah even with the news today I wasn't even excited to be honest, I can't see them adopting a luxury tax. That said I'm somewhat more optimistic on them maybe dropping the related sponsorship rules which could be just as good for us.

It will come, even if today is just the start of the conversation.

"Clubs who don't like PSR and/or are in a precarious position with it" could be quite a few. Us & Man City, possibly Villa in the first category. Obviously Everton & Forest in the second. Chelsea are quite possibly cutting it fine. And that's just the clubs we know about. 

Just now, gbandit said:

It’s not just going to come crashing down immediately but clearly it’s all going to fall apart. You can’t have multiple clubs every few months being fucked for just trying to compete above the relegation spots. We’ll never get completely free rein but we’ll be able to get where we need to within a few years and once we’re there we’ll have the spending power to consolidate ourselves as a top club 

Totally agree. 

Even relaxing the rules on how much can be invested via sponsorship should be enough to allow us to essentially buy the players we want in order to challenge the top teams. Let's not forget that they too would be able to spend as much as they wanted, it's not like they're only investing pennies themselves either. If Arsenal's owners wanted to lash out £400m in a single window on 6 players then there would be nothing stopping them from doing so, the relaxation of the rules would apply to everyone. Bet players and their agents are rubbing their hands at the news :lol:

1 minute ago, midds said:

Totally agree. 

Even relaxing the rules on how much can be invested via sponsorship should be enough to allow us to essentially buy the players we want in order to challenge the top teams. Let's not forget that they too would be able to spend as much as they wanted, it's not like they're only investing pennies themselves either. If Arsenal's owners wanted to lash out £400m in a single window on 6 players then there would be nothing stopping them from doing so, the relaxation of the rules would apply to everyone. Bet players and their agents are rubbing their hands at the news :lol:

Not just rubbing their hands! 

Enjoyed how there's a thread on RTG just below lamenting clubs not living within their means titled 'SAFC losing 100’s of 1000’s every week?'

Edited by Wolfcastle

All us arseholes who played Madden or The Show (or managed a MLS team in FM) going to be fucking wizards with this luxery tax bullshit.

What Ornstein says there is kind of wrong anyway because part of UEFA's model is effectively a luxury tax.

The difference is they do also have the PSR-like max loss over three year thing, which I think is the worst part of the three UEFA pillars.

It would be interesting to see what our spending would actually be like if the reins were took off. Everyone assumes we'd be spending shitloads, but PIF as an investment firm might be quite enjoying the restrictions.

That's just a devil's advocate argument tbh, I don't believe it for a second. The Saudis will want to take the fastest route possible to the top more likely. It would increase the club's value far more in the long run.

1 hour ago, Decky said:

Would they ban us? When they went for City their ban got reduced to a small fine by City's standards (£25m). 3 years later they win the Champions League. 

That wasn't uefas choice though. The process was past the deadline so cas refused the ban. Uefa still insist they would have banned them. 

1 hour ago, Decky said:

Would they ban us? When they went for City their ban got reduced to a small fine by City's standards (£25m). 3 years later they win the Champions League. 

They did go after City, but CAS overturned the ban on a timebar.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

What Ornstein says there is kind of wrong anyway because part of UEFA's model is effectively a luxury tax.

The difference is they do also have the PSR-like max loss over three year thing, which I think is the worst part of the three UEFA pillars.

What's the punishment? Also watch those rules change when certain clubs are impacted and a new incarnation of a super league raises its head.

59 minutes ago, Ben said:

THE BIG 7 

All 20 Premier League clubs ranked based on the estimated net worth of their owners.

Club                 Estimated combined wealth of owners

Newcastle        $620 billion

Man City           $22 billion

Chelsea            $15.8 billion

Arsenal             $12.9 billion

Aston Villa        $11.9 billion

Liverpool          $9.8 billion

Fulham             $7.9 billion

West Ham        $7.3 billion

Wolves             $6.9 billion

Tottenham       $5.8 billion

Crystal Palace $5.5 billion

Man United      $4.7 billion

THE BIG 1

Soon, baby.

3 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

All 20 Premier League clubs ranked based on the estimated net worth of their owners.

Club                 Estimated combined wealth of owners

Newcastle        $620 billion

Man City           $22 billion

Chelsea            $15.8 billion

Arsenal             $12.9 billion

Aston Villa        $11.9 billion

Liverpool          $9.8 billion

Fulham             $7.9 billion

West Ham        $7.3 billion

Wolves             $6.9 billion

Tottenham       $5.8 billion

Crystal Palace $5.5 billion

Man United      $4.7 billion

THE BIG 1

Soon, baby.

The Reubens are worth £24 billion in their own right!!

Refuse to get carried away by this. I haven’t seen anything from PIF to suggest that they won’t behave responsibly. Their model is to have a sustainable club with healthy income. They might loosen the belts slightly in terms of transfer spend but I highly doubt you’ll see any massive shift in strategy.

I’m fine with this.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Refuse to get carried away by this. I haven’t seen anything from PIF to suggest that they won’t behave responsibly. Their model is to have a sustainable club with healthy income. They might loosen the belts slightly in terms of transfer spend but I highly doubt you’ll see any massive shift in strategy.

I’m fine with this.

If you want to be the number 1 club in the world like the Chairman said, then they have to. It was a big statement to make on a documentary and reputation is big in Saudi. I can't see him coming out with that unless that is  the strategy.