Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Its going to get worse not better regardless of standing.  Goes with expectations.

Sky sanitised the game and changed the clientele, I hated but its been so long the case now its long since been a redundant point. I remember dot com getting uppity about people using flares, might have been dickheads doing it but the point still stands.  Dortmund, the extreme example, is not replicable in this country for those reasons. You've been liable to get chucked out or a word for less for decades here.

Not sure we should get embarrassed by players calling for more energy, its often a gesture of that and only possibly because high levels are attainable. You see players doing it all the time winning corners and free-kicks and stuff everywhere, so everywhere must be equally shit.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Notice they only show one stand. Because the other 3 stands will all be sat in silence watching that stand.

’Great Bundesliga atmospheres’ are the biggest myths going.

Had an interesting conversation for ambiguity only with our flag wavers.

Basically the club are approx 4th in priority when controlling our match day build up. EPL and Sponsers and broadcasters lead the way in the musical build up including what is played and when and for how long. Plan to challenge this with the NUST at next meeting but in all honesty it’s all totally believable when explained.

For those on the same page regarding reduction in music/volume it has been requested but out of “his” hands.

loudest I’ve ever heard the gallowgate at times in that first half. it was fucking unreal. you’re never going to sustain that for a full 90 minutes, especially when we don’t “need” to. game was won and people were just enjoying it, a lot of chatting like someone has already mentioned and most were in disbelief just taking it all in.

I’m the first one to complain about the atmosphere, and believe there’s massive room for improvement. but I’m pretty shocked to see such negativity about today, its not worth worrying about in the slightest.

10 hours ago, Big River said:

loudest I’ve ever heard the gallowgate at times in that first half. it was fucking unreal. you’re never going to sustain that for a full 90 minutes, especially when we don’t “need” to. game was won and people were just enjoying it, a lot of chatting like someone has already mentioned and most were in disbelief just taking it all in.

I’m the first one to complain about the atmosphere, and believe there’s massive room for improvement. but I’m pretty shocked to see such negativity about today, its not worth worrying about in the slightest.

I have to agree 

It was the loudest I have ever heard in the gallowgate at 3-0 

It did go flat a bit for the last 15 mins of the first half as everyone was in utter shock and you could hear everyone talking / chattering !! 

Second half was more like a training game and again felt a little flat 

Gallowgate did try and get it going again a few times 

40 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I have to agree 

It was the loudest I have ever heard in the gallowgate at 3-0 

It did go flat a bit for the last 15 mins of the first half as everyone was in utter shock and you could hear everyone talking / chattering !! 

Second half was more like a training game and again felt a little flat 

Gallowgate did try and get it going again a few times 

Don’t think there’s any issue with noise after we score but that’s probably the same for every club.

The issue is the long periods of silence where the place is flat. There’s other grounds in the country that are better keeping the atmosphere going and don’t necessarily need a goal/incident to spark them.

The 3 ingredients currently missing at St James are a singing enclosure, banter with away fans which is non existent compared to a ground such as Elland Road and better songs which are catchy and people want to join in with.

Agree with what others have said the Gallowgate was immense yesterday.  There was a rendition of Hes Brazilian I think after Joe had scored and it was soo fucking loud and incredibly at a decent tempo!

What a fucking day man!

Feel canny harsh criticising anything at the minute but after the Man Utd & Spurs wins, why the fuck does the DJ fella think it's a good idea to play DJ fucking Otzi man :lol:

Either Movin on Up or fuck all. Ana it's the Shearer/Wilson rip off song, but it sounds like a Year 3 disco ffs.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Feel canny harsh criticising anything at the minute but after the Man Utd & Spurs wins, why the fuck does the DJ fella think it's a good idea to play DJ fucking Otzi man :lol:

Either Movin on Up or fuck all. Ana it's the Shearer/Wilson rip off song, but it sounds like a Year 3 disco ffs.

If I was at an away game and they played that DJ Otzi shite at any point, never mind at the final whistle, I'd be ripping the piss about how embarrassing it was

Makes the Smoggies playing Pigbag look sophisticated and high brow

My opinion on music at the game changed after the morose Bournemouth home game where the lack of music definitely contributed to the miserly mood (I was formerly of the view that no music might be a good thing). I also really like the rendition of Blaydon Races that comes through the speakers too; it's nice to have the chance to actually sing it properly. 

I'm on board with with some sort of celebratory music at the final whistle too, if the situation calls for it, but agree that yesterday and Doris Day was just so pants. Playing it is one thing but doing so at an ear-splitting volume is another. At least give everyone a chance to soak up the joy before obnoxiously ruling that if anyone wants to speak, they have to scream over your shite music. 

(Nb I was at Southampton but wasn't there yesterday so if I've got it wrong re the volume, my bad)

Tell me ma, me ma...

We're going to Italy, tell me ma, me ma!

That was brilliant!!

Even the East Stand was bouncing during that nuts first 25 minutes....  tons of people standing and singing!