Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

They don’t really have any weaknesses in their side, just going to have to play our best and intimidate them. Midweek kick off helps us as well

I'd say they have the weakest goalkeeper in the league playing for them, who is also a mag. Reckon he'll crumble.

I don't particularly like Gordon but work rate isn't his problem. Regularly tracks back and wins the ball before recycling. Issue is end product, being a bit of an arsehole and looking like an experiment gone wrong.

Just now, nufcnick said:

And they have just dismantled arsenal all afternoon 

We didn't play terrible against arsenal tbh. We didn't get the breaks and sucker punched with a goal.

I'm just not going to piss my knickers until all is said and done. We are third in may and still all very much within our control.

Great game this now if we win CL is thoroughly deserved and we’ve arrived big time. 

Exciting to see how we handle it and if we are truly ready for CL football, embrace it and bring the noise whatever happens we’re back in the big time.

Tactical battle between Howe and De Zerbi will be really interesting. Looking at results, Brighton seems to struggle against low block (Everton, Forest, Man Utd twice) but are brilliant when there's more space to exploit. Howe has trusted our own style in pretty much every match and it will be interesting to see if he's more conservative in this one considering Brighton's style. Toning down the press and sitting lower seems to make sense but I'm not sure if Howe is too proud (not a dig at all, I'm also proud of it) to change our style against anyone at home. They also battered us at Amex and we were really lucky to walk away with a point, IIRC it was still Potter but it's still relevant.

Edited by Pata

Don't think it's unreasonable to say it's going to be an extremely hard game. Not just because Brighton are a good side but because their strengths will play really well against our current weaknesses unfortunately. Lack of balance to the midfield and full backs that are looking a bit tired.

It probably wouldn't go well with the home crowd but I'd almost be tempted to play a bit like the away side. Keep it solid and hit them on the break. 

10 minutes ago, 54 said:

Hopefully we come up against the Everton version of Brighton :lol:

They weren't even that bad against Everton. They created plenty of chances. Way higher XG and shots. But they had Steele and Everton had Pickford on his good day.

Edited by ponsaelius

41 minutes ago, Ikon said:

That’s why I mentioned not counting Isak and Wilson @Smal

Why would you not count two of our players? May as well compare us to Brighton without counting MacAllister and Caceido

Just now, joeyt said:

Why would you not count two of our players? May as well compare us to Brighton without counting MacAllister and Caceido

Because all I’m saying is that they are very very good and only major piece missing for them this season is that top class CF. That I think they would have been much higher if they had one. My way of saying that I rate the Brighton players and them as a team but not their forward choices quite so much.

Just now, Ikon said:

Because all I’m saying is that they are very very good and only major piece missing for them this season is that top class CF. That I think they would have been much higher if they had one. My way of saying that I rate the Brighton players and them as a team but not their forward choices quite so much.

Mad thing is they have scored more goals than us despite that.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't think it's unreasonable to say it's going to be an extremely hard game. Not just because Brighton are a good side but because their strengths will play really well against our current weaknesses unfortunately. Lack of balance to the midfield and full backs that are looking a bit tired.

It probably wouldn't go well with the home crowd but I'd almost be tempted to play a bit like the away side. Keep it solid and hit them on the break. 

That’s what I would probably do but there’s a risk that it takes the crowd out of it and the anxious sighs would have a negative reaction.