Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Of course it doesn't help having Geordie Paul Chuckle sitting down with the likes of Joelinton repeating the same "WON'T IT BE GOOD IF WE [LOL] GET CHAMPIONS LEAGUE [LOL]¿" question four times an interview. 

The pressure is really high atm and the squad and staff need to block out the noise to the extent it's not becoming a problem, a la February. 

Incidentally, I thought Joelinton looked great in that interview. Confident, happy and relaxed despite the interviewer's best efforts. Very reassuring...

Wilson

willock.            Isak.           Almiron 

Bruno.        Joelinton 

burn.         Botman.      Shar.   Trippier

Pope 

48 minutes ago, 80 said:

Incidentally, I thought Joelinton looked great in that interview. Confident, happy and relaxed despite the interviewer's best efforts. Very reassuring...

Bruno looks super happy in the training photos too. 

50 minutes ago, 80 said:

Those questions man. I almost turned it off twice. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

This week is probably Howe's biggest test since "get them into some form so we don't get relegated." Not just in terms of the approach and management of the Brighton game itself, but at the moment the hype is similar to the cup final, and that needs managing. By all accounts, the players were distracted by the furore around that so hopefully any lessons learned from that time are being applied now.

Of course it doesn't help having Geordie Paul Chuckle sitting down with the likes of Joelinton repeating the same "WON'T IT BE GOOD IF WE [LOL] GET CHAMPIONS LEAGUE [LOL]¿" question four times an interview. 

The pressure is really high atm and the squad and staff need to block out the noise to the extent it's not becoming a problem, a la February. 

Was literally thinking the same thing watching it was doing my head in.

I love Howe's press conferences I just wait for him to pipe up with something like "Hi Eddie, last week Jason Tindall went meme crazy... Have you ever thought about creating a meme and if you have what meme was it?"

Howe: "Haha I haven't no.. I'll just focus on what I'm good at"

"Haha well maybe another time Eddie, on a more serious note how does it feel to be so close to the Champions League?"

Edited by Alberto2005

It won't happen this late on but I'm surprised we haven't seen this:

Pope

Schar     Botman      Burn

Trippier                                   Targett

Bruno

Willock                  Joelinton

Isak        Wilson

This would allow us to play Isak and Wilson as a pair, would give us more defensive solidity, whilst also providing us width. 

It's more "negative" because we have one less attacker on the pitch but with Isak and Wilson, I'd wager we would find the net.

1 minute ago, STM said:

It won't happen this late on but I'm surprised we haven't seen this:

Pope

Schar     Botman      Burn

Trippier                                   Targett

Bruno

Willock                  Joelinton

Isak        Wilson

This would allow us to play Isak and Wilson as a pair, would give us more defensive solidity, whilst also providing us width. 

It's more "negative" because we have one less attacker on the pitch but with Isak and Wilson, I'd wager we would find the net.

You're right in that it's far too late for this radical of a formation change. Just have to look at Spurs V us to see the damage in making a drastic change with very little prep to see how wrong it would go.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Sixsmith seems a canny bloke, but he's fucking nauseating at times. Far too overfamiliar.

I once sat in the front of a car with him years ago and he kept bragging about recently pulling a fit colleague. 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Sixsmith seems a canny bloke, but he's fucking nauseating at times. Far too overfamiliar.

Agreed. Still not as bad as the softly spoken lad, who sounds like and absolute toucher and doesn't bother with active listening. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Agreed. Still not as bad as the softly spoken lad, who sounds like and absolute toucher and doesn't bother with active listening. 

Think he's 15 and on work experience to be fair to him.

9 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

Those questions man. I almost turned it off twice. 

I honestly felt embarrassed for Joelinton. The players must talk about it among themselves.

I've noticed a handful of times people like Willock and Howe have made remarks about how they've already answered a particular question the last time they spoke or words to that effect...

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Think he's 15 and on work experience to be fair to him.

The worrying thing is l don't know if you're joking or not. If not, fair play to him! If you are, oh dear.

Edited by 80

1 minute ago, STM said:

I don't think Isak and Wilson both start this game.

I think Maxi or Gordon will come in on the left.

Maxi hopefully if anyone. Isak out wide and Wilson off the bench. Not sure I want to see Gordon at any point unless absolutely necessary or we're really comfortable.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Wilson and Isak together worries me. Isak just isnt as effective starting out wide I dont think. 

Massive, massive game.  I dont think losing is the end of the world, but it would be hard to take. 

Yeah, whenever I imagined them as a duo, it was as a duo. Not, as Howe carefully specifies in interviews, Wilson up front and Isak out separately on the left. I'd like to see them more as an updated Shearer and Bellamy.

10 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yeah, whenever I imagined them as a duo, it was as a duo. Not, as Howe carefully specifies in interviews, Wilson up front and Isak out separately on the left. I'd like to see them more as an updated Shearer and Bellamy.

Given others round them Isak as a 10 could work. Just not sure we have the others to make it work right now.