Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Newcastle United have made a bid in the region of €50million for AC Milan midfielder Sandro Tonali.

Eddie Howe is seeking reinforcements after securing Champions League football next season and has targeted Tonali, who is also attracting interest from Chelsea.

The Athletic has reported that Newcastle hope to sign two midfielders this summer — a defensive and a more versatile option — with a wide forward, a centre-back and a full-back also sought.

But midfield is a priority, with Howe planning to push Bruno Guimaraes higher up the pitch, and Tonali’s tactical flexibility appeals.

Tonali, who will captain Italy at this month’s Under-21 European Championship, helped Milan win their first Scudetto in 11 years in 2022, performing multiple midfield roles under Stefano Pioli.

The 23-year-old started his career at Brescia before joining Milan in 2020, making a loan move permanent the following year.

He made 48 appearances for the club in all competitions last season as Milan finished fourth but reached the Champions League semi-finals for the first time since 2007.

Newcastle, who finished fourth last season to secure a place in Europe’s top club competition for the first time since 2003, are also keen on Leicester’s James Maddison if they can strike a deal at the right price.

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Can’t see this happening at all. Tonali is a proper boyhood Milan fan isn’t he? 

I just don’t think we have the pull for moves like this. 

He's won Serie A, got as far in the Champions League as Milan can realistically go at the moment. I know he's young but can he achieve any more in Serie A as he has already?

I don't know why, but I am skeptical about Italian midfielders in the Premier League. Unsure about the pace, homesickness or other reasons why they rarely cut to the chase. Will be like Alberto Aquilani in his time. Greetings, the optimist.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would Milan still be interested in Jeff Hendrick?

I think the Milan Pizza shop in South Shields is always on the look out for new delivery drivers

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Can’t see this happening at all. Tonali is a proper boyhood Milan fan isn’t he? 

I just don’t think we have the pull for moves like this. 

Aye. I know there has been some turmoil with Maldini leaving, but still feel like Tonali wants to play the rest of his career there.