NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, Pata said:

I’ve said it before but it’s a big concern that Leon Bailey put up similar numbers at Leverkusen before his move to Villa. Obviously he’s been injured a lot here but Bundesliga numbers come with a massive risk associated and the fees they get for their players don’t seem to reflect that at all.

I'm inclined to agree. 

Wout Weghorst was basically the Batistuta of that league and Sancho hasn't been able to repeat his numbers either. There's nuance to apply to Sancho, but I'm not buying he repeats double figures in the Premier League. 

I'd prefer a more technical player than Diaby. Having a winger that isn't completely one-footed would be great, but agsinst those low blocks we need someone who can get their foot on that ball and create a bit of magic.

Samuel Chukwueze is the one who's caught my eye the most. 

Tall, strong, quick, powerful, excellent dribbler, very good technically and looks to be a very intelligent player too. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

I disagree with that, why should we look at players who didn’t succeed after moving from the Bundesliga and come up with a generalization for all players who happened to play there first? There are many other players who came from there and turned out to be huge success: De Bruyne, Haaland, Son, Kombany, Gundogan, Firmino, etc.

On the othet hand, we might find players such as Mane who played worse at Bundesliga. He scored seven goals in 25 league games. Or what about Hazard who flopped at La Liga after a legendary display at the EPL. Does that mean Spanish teams shouldn’t consider EPL players?

There are many players who flop after a transfer for many different reasons, and so I don’t think it is logical to single out their original league as a primary reason by cherry picking players who happened to have failed here for various reasons. 

You’re doing the same but picking only successes. Out of that list IMO only Firmino had potential to flop, rest are just simply world class. :lol:

Sancho, Werner and Havertz alone were big money signings that have failed badly in England.

17 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Samuel Chukwueze is the one who's caught my eye the most. 

Tall, strong, quick, powerful, excellent dribbler, very good technically and looks to be a very intelligent player too. 

Off to Milan supposedly 

37 minutes ago, Pata said:

Out of that list IMO only Firmino had potential to flop, rest are just simply world class. :lol:

Only Haaland were world class at the time he left Bundes.

Also find it a little bit strange all the praise Lindstrom gets. He dont have very good numbers from the "sceptical" Bundesliga. Dont cost as much as Diaby but it would still be 30-40m. 

Edited by nufc123

34 minutes ago, Pata said:

You’re doing the same but picking only successes. Out of that list IMO only Firmino had potential to flop, rest are just simply world class. :lol:

Sancho, Werner and Havertz alone were big money signings that have failed badly in England.

To be fair though the likes of Son and Kompany became world class in England. They definitely weren't when they joined. Son was even rumoured to leave back to Germany after his first season at Spurs. 

While I agree that high defensive lines definitely inflate attacking players stats in the Bundesliga - I think it's a fair point that many players will work out or not for a whole host of reasons and the league they come from isn't a predetermination of success or failure. It's why you need good scouting to see through the noise. 

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

:lol: Trippier and a guy that doesn’t press or track back on the same side? He makes ASM look like Milner, man. Suicidal with the way we play.

I mean there's a fair point in there but words like "destroyed" and "suicidal" make it very hard to discuss it seriously :lol:

Much like we saw with ASM, I'd be pretty confident that in time Howe could develop Diaby into someone who wasn't a liability out of possession.

I doubt we'd spend 50+ million on him without having done some very extensive research on what type of prospect we'd be getting, both going forward and defending from the front.

My guess is that if we do sign Diaby it'll take him quite a while to start regularly, it is a very important part of how we play and he does seem to need work on his pressing.

35 minutes ago, Shak said:

I mean there's a fair point in there but words like "destroyed" and "suicidal" make it very hard to discuss it seriously :lol:

Much like we saw with ASM, I'd be pretty confident that in time Howe could develop Diaby into someone who wasn't a liability out of possession.

I doubt we'd spend 50+ million on him without having done some very extensive research on what type of prospect we'd be getting, both going forward and defending from the front.

My guess is that if we do sign Diaby it'll take him quite a while to start regularly, it is a very important part of how we play and he does seem to need work on his pressing.

We dont need 50m players that will take quite a while to start regularly. We need players for that money coming in and making an impact quickly. Theres no hiding place in this league, we need to consolidate our place among the top teams. 

47 minutes ago, Shak said:

Fair enough. Slight hyperbole ( :lol: yeah, yeah “slight”)  but I was trying to stress the point that it probably wouldn’t be the best idea defensively to have 2 players on the same side bombing forward with reckless abandon. Exciting player though, despite those limitations.

Tbh I wouldn’t mind both Chiesa and Pulisic. It sorts out that position long term even in term of depth. Pulisic is cheap and had explosive potential that can be re-Howed. Chiesa on loan to start with would be a good move too. For 30m for both can’t go wrong.