NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Not sure where Joelinton will play most of his football this season but if all goes expected we basically have to fill the 3 midfield spots and 2 wing positions with...

Bruno, Tonali, Longstaff, Joelinton, Willock, Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Anderson and Murphy.

That's really light IMO. Anderson should really be going on loan and Murphy isn't someone I have any interest in seeing as anything other than a shithouse substitute.

We really need another winger IMO.

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Not sure where Joelinton will play most of his football this season but if all goes expected we basically have to fill the 3 midfield spots and 2 wing positions with...

Bruno, Tonali, Longstaff, Joelinton, Willock, Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Anderson and Murphy.

That's really light IMO. Anderson should really be going on loan and Murphy isn't someone I have any interest in seeing as anything other than a shithouse substitute.

Like it or not Ritchie has a new contract and will be in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Like it or not Ritchie has a new contract and will be in the squad. 

My point was that we basically have 8 players I have any confidence in to rotate between 5 starting positions, Ritchie doesn't add to that at all.

We need a long term successor to Schär which can be sorted in the medium term. Schär is our best CB imo, Botman will get better and surpass him but a successor to Schär needs to be in a similar mould in terms of on-the-ball ability and age to Botman. Andersen is not that imo. It'll be abroad we look for, as I say in the medium term. January perhaps but probably next summer.

I don't think that seems too light, Isak can also play out wide, Livramento at a push could. Joelinton, Willock, Bruno generally fit. Barnes plays a lot of games usually, Murphy rarely knacked. Most teams only have a few replacements, Man City used fewest players last season at 22 although exceptional players, we used same as Arsenal, Brighton, Villa and Palace. 

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

My point was that we basically have 8 players I have any confidence in to rotate between 5 starting positions, Ritchie doesn't add to that at all.

Howe obv has confidence in him or he wouldn’t be in the squad. Ritchie is a winger. I’d love another right winger I just think we’ll use our funds elsewhere. Possibly a left back and centre half 

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

We need a CB so we don't have to drop to lascelles.

I agree, though Lascelles was probably the best CB in the 2 games he played in last season which are arguably the toughest fixtures in the calendar; Liverpool and Man City away. Competent at the very least.

Of course we need better, though barring an absolute disaster where Schär gets a long term injury I think it's something we can sort out next summer. Especially for the fee it would take to get what basically should be a right sided Botman with FFP and all.

25 minutes ago, Shak said:

And up steps Livramento. Hope he’s good. 

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Ritchie has been kept around for his leadership and personality around the squad and training ground. He’s clearly not going to play a big part this season on the pitch.

Daft think is for the scant appearance he made in the premier league he actually played really well against Liverpool last season when he came on when we had ten men as well. 

Not exactly worth a new 5 year contract..... but you'd think the way people gan on he came on and played like Amdy Faye's cousin 

2 hours ago, Shak said:

ST

Isak

Wilson

Gordon

Joelinton

LF

Barnes

Gordon

Joelinton

Isak

Willock

Anderson

RF

Almiron

Murphy

Gordon

LCM

Joelinton

Willock

Anderson

RCM

Tonali

Longstaff

Miley(?)

“DM”

Bruno

Tonali

probably missed a couple of iterations, but I like that there’s a certain interchangeability. RF is where I’d look to upgrade of those listed, and could use depth at DM.

Edited by Deuce

Murphy is going to get minutes this season. Howe clearly likes him and I think fans underrate him. probably due to two or three high profile misses with memorable Ando screams and groans. 

If I were a promoted club with only 20 million to spend on a wide player, I'd be tempted to bid for Murphy if I thought Newcastle would sell. Played exclusively as a winger, I'd trust him to get 5-6 goals and 5-6 assists. He did a fine job deputizing for Miggy a few months ago. For context, Brennan Johnson got 8 goals and 3 assists and he's worth an arm and a leg.

8 hours ago, Shak said:

I thinks that's our midfield sorted now, Miley and Anderson will be trusted to fill and gaps. Personally I would like to see an attacking left wing back along with Liveramento, which means Burn would drop to center half cover.

Edited by Ben

3 hours ago, Stottie said:

Murphy is going to get minutes this season. Howe clearly likes him and I think fans underrate him. probably due to two or three high profile misses with memorable Ando screams and groans. 

If I were a promoted club with only 20 million to spend on a wide player, I'd be tempted to bid for Murphy if I thought Newcastle would sell. Played exclusively as a winger, I'd trust him to get 5-6 goals and 5-6 assists. He did a fine job deputizing for Miggy a few months ago. For context, Brennan Johnson got 8 goals and 3 assists and he's worth an arm and a leg.

He must have hit the post 8 times. Narrow margins. Is Murphy on relatively cheap wages too? As much as we have seen the ruthless Howe on show with ASM, there is definitely a hint of wanting to give players their go in the CL after last season and not breaking the harmony of the squad. Murphy works hard, is a toon fan, is well liked and counts as a HG. 

Who knows with this team and Howes coaching though. Up until last year I would have said RW was Miggy's worst position with LW and CAM above RW. I really wanted him played like he was at Atlanta behind the striker. Who knows who might emerge somewhere different next year or who will level up again. Murphy on late season form is somewhat similar to Willock (although more a poundland version) if he could consistently hit the target and score with the chances he creates he would be a monster player and huge asset. 

I still hope we get a LB, CB and RW/AM.  However, Depth wise in the squad, especially if we pick up a few injuries to starters, I would be more concerned with CB and possibly Striker than anywhere else. If Schar and Botman went down, I don't want to be left with Lascelles and Burn. Likewise while they can fill in, I don't want Gordon or Joelinton really filling in up front. It's probably the lesser of two evils with CB being the biggest need. 

However, out of all the signings we could make on the park, a top quality LB would be the most transformational. I think its pivotal for Barnes too. We have depth at LB in Burn, Targett, Trippier, Dummett and Manquillo (Currently) but its not top level. 

RW would be a bonus, a younger versatile striker (PL ready) would be an even bigger bonus. Wonder if there actually was genuine interest in Daniel Jebbison?

Anyways if we can grab a quality LB and CB with whats left of the window that would be fantastic. Anything on top would be a huge bonus. 

33 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He must have hit the post 8 times. Narrow margins. Is Murphy on relatively cheap wages too? As much as we have seen the ruthless Howe on show with ASM, there is definitely a hint of wanting to give players their go in the CL after last season and not breaking the harmony of the squad. Murphy works hard, is a toon fan, is well liked and counts as a HG. 

Who knows with this team and Howes coaching though. Up until last year I would have said RW was Miggy's worst position with LW and CAM above RW. I really wanted him played like he was at Atlanta behind the striker. Who knows who might emerge somewhere different next year or who will level up again. Murphy on late season form is somewhat similar to Willock (although more a poundland version) if he could consistently hit the target and score with the chances he creates he would be a monster player and huge asset. 

I still hope we get a LB, CB and RW/AM.  However, Depth wise in the squad, especially if we pick up a few injuries to starters, I would be more concerned with CB and possibly Striker than anywhere else. If Schar and Botman went down, I don't want to be left with Lascelles and Burn. Likewise while they can fill in, I don't want Gordon or Joelinton really filling in up front. It's probably the lesser of two evils with CB being the biggest need. 

However, out of all the signings we could make on the park, a top quality LB would be the most transformational. I think its pivotal for Barnes too. We have depth at LB in Burn, Targett, Trippier, Dummett and Manquillo (Currently) but its not top level. 

RW would be a bonus, a younger versatile striker (PL ready) would be an even bigger bonus. Wonder if there actually was genuine interest in Daniel Jebbison?

Anyways if we can grab a quality LB and CB with whats left of the window that would be fantastic. Anything on top would be a huge bonus. 

Definitely agree on the left back and right CB is a concern with injuries. A R CB with pace would be ideal. Seems like Livramento will eventually come in so that’s RB sorted. A young adaptable forward would be good to add strength up front. It’ll be interesting to see how they recruit from here. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

9 hours ago, Shak said:

You're wondering where big Joe will play then list him with the other TEN players for 5 spots. He'll play there then. 

Seeing as you're counting the two front wide players in a 433 in your 5 spots you need to add Isak to the list. 

So that's 11.

12 if we get Tino and Eddie fancies pushing him up there. 

Anderson is a CM by desire. We'll see how he develops but, again, Eddie rates him and Murphy's just had his best spell. 

We don't need anymore wingers. 

Edited by Groundhog63

Assuming - big assumption- that we get Tino in, how many more incomings and what type do we actually need this window?

We have to consider team spirit and familiarity of our play/ time for new players to settle.

I’d be happy with an addition/ competition at CB and a striker - one for the future type. 

Together with FFP restraints we’d be able to manage that? Also have to imagine we manage to move one or two more players out.

Just now, Tsunami said:

Assuming - big assumption- that we get Tino in, how many more incomings and what type do we actually need this window?

We have to consider team spirit and familiarity of our play/ time for new players to settle.

I’d be happy with an addition/ competition at CB and a striker - one for the future type. 

Together with FFP restraints we’d be able to manage that? Also have to imagine we manage to move one or two more players out.

I reckon one more after Barnes and Livaramento.