NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Shak said:

I think both things are true.

Adding better finishers like Barnes will help us a lot but I do think our wingers are somewhat lacking in terms of that final ball.

I think when we do finally sign a RW it'll be someone who's more of a left footed AM than a Diaby type.

Guler would have been perfect for it. Also think we'd have gone back in for Raphinha if Barca had got Guler or Messi.

Going into the window I'd have said RW and LB were our biggest weaknesses. However, it's clear that if we can't get our primary targets then we don't go very far down the list.

Maybe they think this time next year we'll be able to buy an Alphonso Davies or Theo Hernandez for LB and don't want to settle for a small upgrade now.

Same for the RW spot.

That's the way we set up with Trippier (and with Livramento as understudy) - the right fullback is essentially our right-footed "crossing" winger. Hell even Murphy was used in that role the last weekend. Our preferred right-sided forward would then be someone operating in the half-space, who can come inside and get a shot off. And so far, Miggy has been playing that role quite effectively. Sides have cottoned on to his extreme left-footedness though, so someone with more guile, and can play with both feet would be a better replacement for him. 

I suspect our earlier pursuit of Diaby came about when the Howe "system" for the club hadn't yet been set in stone, and we've since moved on from him as a target, Lord knows who we have in mind as a fitting replacement/cover for Miggy though.

1 minute ago, Hot Since 1882 said:

Gvadiol/Laporte off the bench vs. Lascelles/Dummett is depressing

Lascelles is tops man, stop putting him down, I'd like to see one of those foreign types punch football into an average player 

4 minutes ago, Hot Since 1882 said:

Gvadiol/Laporte off the bench vs. Lascelles/Dummett is depressing

15 years of solid investment throughout an entire football club will produce some remarkable contrasts to clubs run like a burger van.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Obviously the window has gone kinda mad this last 48 hours. 

What are we expecting regarding the rest of the window for ourselves? Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. 

I think we’ll get 1 more player in. That will either be a CB, or a LB.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Obviously the window has gone kinda mad this last 48 hours. 

What are we expecting regarding the rest of the window for ourselves? Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. 

Not expecting much to be honest. One more in probably - we’ll try for a CB but if it doesn’t come off for whatever reason, we’ll revisit in January. I think the club are generally happy with what we’ve got, and will look to ‘keep the powder dry’ for any urgent, ‘give us a lift’ in whatever competitions we’re still seriously involved in, in Jan. 

Going off Eddie's presser (which should be taken with a pinch of salt anyway, as we know what he's like), seems like we'll get 1 more creative deal done. My idiot fucking brain is like IT'S CHIESA LOAN TO BUY but who knows 

Edited by SiLvOR
Spelling

Would love one of the CB’s Hope linked us with yesterday.

Was interesting reading that they think Todibo has the talent, but they’re not sure about his mentality. But was great reading that they’ve made enquiries and are exploring signing all these top European CB’s.

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Would love one of the CB’s Hope linked us with yesterday.

Was interesting reading that they think Todibo has the talent, but they’re not sure about his mentality. But was great reading that they’ve made enquiries and are exploring signing all these top European CB’s.

Who else were we linked with? I do think we’ll bring in one CB this window to be honest. I think we can manage at left back and have options but CB needs depth.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Who else were we linked with? I do think we’ll bring in one CB this window to be honest. I think we can manage at left back and have options but CB needs depth.

“Newcastle are looking at centre-backs and have explored fees and availability for the likes of Jean-Clair Todibo (Nice), Edmond Tapsoba (Leverkusen), Odilon Kossounou (Leverkusen), Perr Schuurs (Torino), Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace), Armel Bella-Kotchap (Southampton) and Antonio Silva (Benfica).” (Craig Hope)