NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

32 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

I think it's quite difficult to assess from the outside exactly how the upcoming window will play out. I would be disinclined to pay much attention to the kinds of murmurings that are starting to emerge in the press. 

The GK situation is far from clear or easy to navigate, as outlined above. The form of Lascelles may mean that we are satisfied to wait until the summer for a CB signing. A midfielder to effectively take Tonali's squad place feels like a no-brainer but the emergence of Miley may prove to be a consideration for this window too, especially if we are/were looking primarily at short-term stopgaps like Phillips. A RW will surely be on the agenda for the coming windows, but finding the right player in January may be difficult, especially factoring in FFP constraints. And finding a third choice striker, who is happy to be a rotational option at this moment in time but still possesses the quality and attitude to make an impact when called upon and also to develop in that context, is far from straightforward . And that's assuming we are even looking at that position - hard to think of many top sides with 3 outright strikers to call upon. Potentially looking at a RW equivalent to Gordon who can also play as a forward, but that depends on exactly what kind of player Howe is looking to target for that side of the pitch, which I think will be a big indicator of what direction we may or may not be heading in tactically. 

Plans will also change depending on which competitions we are still in by then.

I'd hope we are exploring options, at the very least. If Howe/the team genuinely thinks none of them are viable and / or good enough to displace Dubravka then fine, but it makes me feel a lot better that they're at least investigating what's out there.

5 hours ago, Ronson333 said:

Dubs not guaranteed to make it through Jan.

Saw this in the replies.

Mamardashvili could actually be doable in January as Valencia aren't in great financial shape.

They're also right in mid table in La Liga, looking quite off the pace to challenge for Europe and not really in danger of getting dragged into a relegation fight either.

Obviously there's merit to bringing in a stop gap until the end of the year... but I do think the best move might be to bring in a Pope upgrade rather than spend money on improving the backup position when we don't have a really top keeper.

Not sure what would become of Pope in the scenario that we buy a flash new GK. If he's content to stay here and push the new GK that's ideal, if not we could probably get very decent money for him to help with FFP.

30 minutes ago, Shak said:

Saw this in the replies.

Mamardashvili could actually be doable in January as Valencia aren't in great financial shape.

They're also right in mid table in La Liga, looking quite off the pace to challenge for Europe and not really in danger of getting dragged into a relegation fight either.

Obviously there's merit to bringing in a stop gap until the end of the year... but I do think the best move might be to bring in a Pope upgrade rather than spend money on improving the backup position when we don't have a really top keeper.

Not sure what would become of Pope in the scenario that we buy a flash new GK. If he's content to stay here and push the new GK that's ideal, if not we could probably get very decent money for him to help with FFP.

He any good?

So here’s a question for everyone. 

For the goal keeper situation how would you remedy it?

1, buy a new first choice keeper in January 

2, Bring in someone to cover for Pope on a short term basis for a small outlay (loan, low fee or short term deal). 
3, continue as we are

In really curious to see how everyone would handle this. 

33 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

So here’s a question for everyone. 

For the goal keeper situation how would you remedy it?

1, buy a new first choice keeper in January 

2, Bring in someone to cover for Pope on a short term basis for a small outlay (loan, low fee or short term deal). 
3, continue as we are

In really curious to see how everyone would handle this. 

1 if we get our true long term target. 2 if 1 is not an option. 3 isn’t on the cards for me.