NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Eh? We got a significant offer for him in January. More than we would have got without a contract extension. He’ll likely go in the summer to KSA and we’ll get a decent fee because of his extension

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Eh? We got a significant offer for him in January. More than we would have got without a contract extension. He’ll likely go in the summer to KSA and we’ll get a decent fee because of his extension

He might not want to go and prefer to sit his contract out.

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

The problem with selling miggy is that new contract he just signed at the end of last year he'll sit tight knowing he's not gonna get better. Bad mistake by the club extending it. 

Hardly a mistake. If we hadn't extended his contract he could have left on a free this summer. This would have been a worse outcome given our need to trade players for money (and we have the same issue with Joelinton approaching).

You have to extend contracts to protect the value of your assets. It is a balancing act to protect the club but also not price a player out of a move or leave them too comfortable heading towards decline. We don't know the terms of Miggy's latest deal (except that it lasts up to 2026) but you'd imagine it's been pitched at a wage that doesn't price him out of a move to Saudi, another PL club or as a DP in the MLS. The club won't be daft with contracts these days.

I suspect Miggy didn't leave because the move came too quickly and from a place where he wasn't expecting.

For all the money in the world, playing in Saudi Arabia would be fucking shite compared to the PL. You are basically retiring from high level football.

That's fine of course, nowt wrong with taking in a final wedge, I'm just not sure Miggy and his family were ready to jump in January. Chances are, he will have had longer to think about it now and he will have made his mind up one way or the other, about whether its something he'd entertain.

Don't worry about the Saudis or getting a decent fee. [emoji38] They don't give a fuck, we just need to make sure it "looks" right, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Failing that, Miggy would start for half the PL sides anyway, so there will be no shortage of suitors. He's a managers dream because of his workrate. I don't really see him staying in the PL though.

33 minutes ago, gbandit said:

From a Saudi club.

Any offer from any Saudi club is dubious - PIF-owned or not.

I don't think any non-Saudi club pay more than £10m. A 1 G/A in every 5 winger, 30 years old. 

11 minutes ago, STM said:

I suspect Miggy didn't leave because the move came too quickly and from a place where he wasn't expecting.

For all the money in the world, playing in Saudi Arabia would be fucking shite compared to the PL. You are basically retiring from high level football.

That's fine of course, nowt wrong with taking in a final wedge, I'm just not sure Miggy and his family were ready to jump in January. Chances are, he will have had longer to think about it now and he will have made his mind up one way or the other, about whether its something he'd entertain.

Don't worry about the Saudis or getting a decent fee. [emoji38] They don't give a fuck, we just need to make sure it "looks" right, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Failing that, Miggy would start for half the PL sides anyway, so there will be no shortage of suitors. He's a managers dream because of his workrate. I don't really see him staying in the PL though.

If they are not PIF-owned we don't need to make it look right. Which is the path we should take imo.

Liking our players is a luxury problem I hadn't really thought about during the takeover. I don't really want to get rid of anyone right now bar the senior players we have out on loan that still carry the Ashley stink on them. :lol:

Understand we have to sell and replace to improve, and at some point probably have to be a bit cynical about it, but it's something gutting about breaking up what seems to be a fantastically tight knit group of not only players but friends that got us to 4th.

14 minutes ago, STM said:

No PL side will pay us a decent enough wedge to make a move worthwhile. The only chance of getting £20m was from Saudi, if we are talking about normal  clubs then I'd be surprised if we got much more than £12m. If that.

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If they are not PIF-owned we don't need to make it look right. Which is the path we should take imo.

We do. FVM applied to all Saudi clubs doing business with us, it's been confirmed by the Athletic.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Really? Do you have a link?

I'll try and dig it out. It was in an article about Almiron during the January transfer window.

The PL must take a broad scope. They gave themselves a catch all with a party who "is otherwise than at arm’s length", which is incredibly subjective.

It can include clubs who are indirectly controlled or materially influenced by the same government, public or state-funded body or by the same party.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'll try and dig it out. It was in an article about Almiron during the January transfer window.

The PL must take a broad scope. They gave themselves a catch all with a party who "is otherwise than at arm’s length", which is incredibly subjective.

It can include clubs who are indirectly controlled or materially influenced by the same government, public or state-funded body or by the same party.

Didn't know that was the case. Thanks for sharing.

Then Chelsea to Saudi is the same as us.

Time to call Atleti and Juve.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Didn't know that was the case. Thanks for sharing.

Then Chelsea to Saudi is the same as us.

Time to call Atleti and Juve.

My mistake, it states the Premier League would need to decide if Al Shabab is an associated parties under the rules.

So basically they'd make the decision if and when it was needed.

Liked the look of Adam Wharton last night, if palace go down we should have a look. I know we’ve been interested in the past, but from what I’ve seen he’d be a good fit for left centre mid. Also we’ve got to be looking at Murillo from Notts Forest, he’d be perfect for the left back role with his passing, and would go well long term with Tino at right back. That way Murillo could play the role Tripps currently does for us.

Cannot believe what I am reading over the last few pages about McTominay after the responses over the summer when I argued he wasn't a bad player, and could see how he would fit as an 8 in Howe's system.

Now he's scored some goals this season playing that role it's a different story. Seemingly the case a lot of the time that players are so overlooked unless they are in an obvious rich vein of form.

Gallagher is another supposedly nothing player that is looking strong this season.

Two players that had folks losing it when we were linked a few months back. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Cannot believe what I am reading over the last few pages about McTominay after the responses over the summer when I argued he wasn't a bad player, and could see how he would fit as an 8 in Howe's system.

Now he's scored some goals this season playing that role it's a different story. Seemingly the case a lot of the time that players are so overlooked unless they are in an obvious rich vein of form.

Gallagher is another supposedly nothing player that is looking strong this season.

Both decent premiership footballers, not sure they’ll get the fans on their feet though.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

McTominays canny but nowt special. Gallagher's shite.

McTominay is the 2020's version of Kevin Nolan. Offers absolutely nothing unless he scores. Can see struggling premiership sides accommodate his faults for what he brings, but is he fuck someone you'd bring into a club trying to break into the top 4 :lol: Destination Moyes written all over him if he were to leave.

McTominay seems to have a knack of scoring I’ll give him that, but I’d still be fucking gutted if we sign him.

Last 2 appearances at SJP he’s been garbage and put simply if he’s not good enough to start for that lot, he’s not good enough for us if we have serious ambitions.

Edited by Whitley mag

12 minutes ago, Conjo said:

McTominay is the 2020's version of Kevin Nolan. Offers absolutely nothing unless he scores. Can see struggling premiership sides accommodate his faults for what he brings, but is he fuck someone you'd bring into a club trying to break into the top 4 :lol: Destination Moyes written all over him if he were to leave.

Exactly! Could you see Man City, Liverpool or Arsenal signing a player like him? If we want to challenge these guys we need better footballers than Scott Mctominay.