Lewis Hall

Paully

I think this lad will take a little settling in. Given his age obviously, but also him being between positions and therefore between tactics and mentality, he's not a settled player, imo. Not his fault, its only natural. I think he'll retain the ability to be able to cover more than one position, but I think we'll be looking to cement him in a single position to give him that direction and confidence, whilst having in mind what else he can be used or. Be massive if he and we can pull it off, should give us an extra dimension.

Thought he was a bit unlucky to be booked (looked like both players were fouling each other to me and went against him) and got to remember this is something like his 15th senior match playing away to Dortmund in the CL.

Get the feeling Eddie wants to take his time with him and properly get him playing "our way" but the injuries are forcing his hand to put him in at the minute.

8 hours ago, Upthemags said:

Thought he played well given the circumstances. I wish Eddie would have boosted his ego a bit more in the post game conference. Said he was "ok," which was a bit strange from him, as he is almost always very positive on player performances.

Kept perhaps the fastest winger in the world relatively uninvolved on a yellow he didn't deserve, no glaring errors. Excited for the lad for the coming fixtures.

He's done it before with him, which as you say is relatively unusual for Howe. Putting 2 and 2 together, he's wanting a bit more from him. V early days of course...

He may come good in the long run but with FFP restrictions a more established left back would have made more sense (he’s not cheap at £28m to be paid at end of season plus up to 7m in add ons). Guess the club is looking long term but sometimes I wished they looked at immediate needs.

Hard to judge him today as most of our players were shite and we looked awful overall because of various reasons. Against Dortmund he got a yellow early on, and that also was a massive game for someone so inexperienced as well. Give it time and judge later. 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think if anything we're seeing just how good Burn actually is [emoji38]

Burn is defensively very good but he doesn’t offer a great deal to the team going forward from open play, Hall is more your typical modern fullback in that he is the opposite.

He didn’t get to show his ability going forward today as our performance and tactics were terrible.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Forgot he's loan tied for the next game ffs. We've got three left backs and they're all fucking unavailable.

We've a player who's played internationals, proper big last 8 type games at left back.

4 hours ago, Aiston said:

Another HT sub, wonder how much that will fuck him mentally.

He's done nothing to warrant getting subbed at HT in the games he's started, and Howe has kept on players who's done way worse before, so I think it was a pre-planned sub on both occasions, thus won't fuck him mentally at all.

Edited by Conjo

10 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think if anything we're seeing just how good Burn actually is [emoji38]

Yeah, I've revised my opinion a bit. For all his limitations, he has that street wisdom which gets him out of many difficult situations.

It's always easier to play well when you have good players around you. Unfortunately some of our good players are suffering from mental and physical fatigue at the moment so for those coming into the side, especially the younger ones just don't get the benefit of our better players 

Was interested to see how he did statistically yesterday. 

- 4 tackles

- Won 5 of his 6 ' ground duels'

- Dribbled past once (always find the way they mark this dubious)

A lot more touches and passes than Tino had too but that's likely cause we were flagging physically a lot more second half.

It was really some of his off the ball work that'll have seen him hooked. Felt like we lost more possession control when he went off though, he was involved in some good build up moves in the first.