Lewis Hall

Paully

32 minutes ago, High Five o said:

What if the deal is made permanent as soon as a certain amount of matches Hall has been involved in.

Then we got shit loads of injuries, and the Hall deal was due to be triggered in January due to matches played.

We need the room to invest in other players in January, and are not playing Hall enough before after the winter window so the permanent deal is triggered in the summer.

Might be a stupid take, but the only that makes any sort of sense.

20 games I've heard.

19 hours ago, OverThere said:

I'd like to see him in the MF and see how that goes 

My thoughts too. I've heard it said that he himself would like to be in CM. There's nothing wrong with his passing and close control so it's a possibility, but that area is getting a bit crowded with the emergence of Miley.

It does look like something's not going right, and that he's maybe not learning at the pace that Eddie needs.

7 minutes ago, andycap said:

Got to be considered as a winger to give gordon some rest. Flash on the bench for a few games would do the lad a world of good whole he rests up. 

Edit: Sorry, thought I was in the Lewis Miley thread :lol: Woulnd't be opposed to give Hall some time on the wing

Edited by Conjo

Age and experience (Hall's biggest weakness) is clearly not an issue for Howe, so Hall has every chance cracking it here. Just needs that moment where he, Howe & the rest of the team believes. Miley has had it, Tino has, hopefully it's Halls turn soon enough.

1 hour ago, Smal said:

he looked like he was really keen to try and do something positive when he was on the pitch which says good things about his attitude. Few nice passes as well.

I agree about the passes, I can see why he could also play as a midfielder. 

Sorry if mentioned already but I wonder if the obligation is on an appearance basis and like Griezmann a couple of seasons ago he needs to play a certain amount of minutes for it to count. If ever there was a game to give him a decent run it was today.

35 minutes ago, jackflap said:

Sorry if mentioned already but I wonder if the obligation is on an appearance basis and like Griezmann a couple of seasons ago he needs to play a certain amount of minutes for it to count. If ever there was a game to give him a decent run it was today.

Not really. Because we'd used two "sub windows" early we really were worried about any more injuries, otherwise Gordon would have been off as soon as we got the 2nd.

I’ve been a big advocate for him. I think he may have the best left foot in the squad. 
But I thought he looked a little lost when he came on. Not all his fault as he wasn’t involved much by the others when open. Once or twice I thought defensively he looked a little less than good. But also some a couple of great passes, one in particular, couldn’t see anyone else on the left doing that…
Very tough to judge him. Very talented ball player. Just trying to see what it is EH doesn’t yet fancy in him. 
I’m very much hoping getting him games will allow him to feel part of it all and he then raises his level til the point he’s always in the conversation.

3 hours ago, Smal said:

he looked like he was really keen to try and do something positive when he was on the pitch which says good things about his attitude. Few nice passes as well.

Not just today. He was always looking to,  and usually did, make nice passes against Man City.

Not sure about him defensively but he has got plenty of time.

Wand of a left foot and very raw in terms of positional awareness as a fullback. Liked his ball playing and I’ll say it again, he’s got very Trippier style to him; perhaps that defensive side to his game will come later when he becomes more aggressive and confident. He does feel a bit a too passive at times where as Livramento is very direct in his decision making. 

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

I’ve been a big advocate for him. I think he may have the best left foot in the squad. 
But I thought he looked a little lost when he came on. Not all his fault as he wasn’t involved much by the others when open. Once or twice I thought defensively he looked a little less than good. But also some a couple of great passes, one in particular, couldn’t see anyone else on the left doing that…
Very tough to judge him. Very talented ball player. Just trying to see what it is EH doesn’t yet fancy in him. 
I’m very much hoping getting him games will allow him to feel part of it all and he then raises his level til the point he’s always in the conversation.

From what I saw, I couldn't tell if he was tactically fluid or tactically indisciplined. He was drifting around in a threatening but not necessarily methodical manner.

10 hours ago, 80 said:

From what I saw, I couldn't tell if he was tactically fluid or tactically indisciplined. He was drifting around in a threatening but not necessarily methodical manner.

we were 3 nil up and he was just so desperate for the ball and a chance to impress.

You could argue that he us more of a "wingback" than a full back, more attack minded than defensive.

Another young lad who will need time and confidence.

I am also suspect of his defensive qualities, but who the hell am I to decide that. Eddie and Ashworth will have done their homework, a la Gordon, I assume.

16 minutes ago, huss9 said:

we were 3 nil up and he was just so desperate for the ball and a chance to impress.

Sure, I'm just not sure if it's what Eddie would want from him in terms of establishing himself as a trusted part of the squad. Like, Livramento has been very fluid going forwards at times but I'm sure what's made him already a nailed on part of the first team is his defensive dominance and the way the team structure seems unchanged when he's playing.

Realise that by definition I'm scrutinising Hall more closely than I would another player, just trying to work out how it's being interpreted by the management.