Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

I kept saying to the other half we're not being ruthless enough, Liverpool are gaining confidence from the fact we're sat back knocking it around like we're prime Barcelona? Then obviously Liverpool start making attacking subs, indicating we need to go for this regardless, "did anyone see this coming" absolutely! They wanted to win this game, our sloppy passing, shite diagonal long passes, and relentless passing from left to right wore thin, Liverpool no longer looking like a side with 10 men, and if we're all totally honest they thoroughly deserved something, I was fuming at the draw, but the loss, well I just knew it was coming, our second half strategy literally handed it to them on a silver platter. 

One thing that stood out an absolute mile, was the lack of use of Isak, we played that game without him, everything attack wise went through either Miggy or Gordon, Isak was totally ignored, those two wide players Miggy in particular had a handful of chances, wasted numerous times.

Absolutely pissed, but that was deserved, as my mum would say, served you right.

Edited by mighty__mag

16 minutes ago, jigen said:

You are a good team. But you always have to run at your maximum because you lack creativity in the final third. When you’re pressing drop, you are in trouble. You need a winger with dribbling and skills (serius mistake sell Saint Maximin).

Scum. 

7 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Indeed - which makes it even more difficult to explain why the manager instructed the players to stand off them let them have possession. 

Don't think the players were good enough today at all.

Not a managerial issue today for me. Regardless of the defensive approach, we did not execute in that regard or in finishing off the game with a man advantage.

Edited by KaKa

3 minutes ago, WinstonFC said:

His subs were atrocious. He cost us the game with them. Nothing else needs said. 

Barnes doesn't fluff his lines and we're all on the ceiling right now. 

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Just keep thinking "atleast you feel something, which wasn't the case 2 years ago" :lol:

Likewise. :lol: the pain is absolutely unreal atm like.

Looking back, Almiron gets the chance to square it he has no pressure, and manages to just rocket it out. We need him out, he had so many chances yet nothing comes off it, and then always ALWAYS needing to turn cause he cant fucking use his other foot for anything, so it just slows down the whole.

Yeah taking Gordon off was a mistake but not fucking Tonali, he just kept giving the ball away before he came off, Barnes was fucking hopeless too, I'm most wound up about him because all he has to do is square it to Wilson and we win the game, instead he does fucking nothing and loses it, moronic - leicester can have him back, fucking Liverpool man

Liverpool were fucking shite for 90 minutes as well, absolutely there for the taking both with 11 and 10 men. Utter disgrace we didn't beat them.

Howe needs to have a good look at how to play against 10, because that wasnt it. Need to make it tough for them, make them chase shadows and tire, we couldn't control the pace of the game the way we should have at all. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The disturbing thing is we were poor in the first half, I really expected Howe to rip into them at half time but the fact we came out and served that up is alarming. 

I still very much doubt he sent them out and fold them to play that way, it’s contrary to everything we know about him and his methods. 

We weren’t poor in the first half. Liverpool are probably the one team that thrive on absolute chaos more than us, as we found out last season. We needed to suck that out of the game and once we did we were the better team. They basically had nothing after the first twenty mins.

In the second half we didn’t finish them off, panicked and shafted ourselves. That simple. We took of anyone who carried any sort of meaningful threat, gave them the impetus to go for it during the last twenty mins because they were already 1-0 down. Minute they equalised we were losing that.

Just now, Nobody said:

Liverpool were fucking shite for 90 minutes as well, absolutely there for the taking both with 11 and 10 men. Utter disgrace we didn't beat them.

Howe needs to have a good look at how to play against 10, because that wasnt it. Need to make it tough for them, make them chase shadows and tire, we couldn't control the pace of the game the way we should have at all. 

Two great finishes. Should have ‘Andy Carrolled’ him when I saw him in IKEA. 

Objectively, we controlled the game fine for 95% of the second half but it felt so not us that you could tell it was off. I thought we needed to keep it controlled for the first 10 of the second half and then go through the gears again. We did the first bit but then just kept that tempo which was strange.

Just utterly unprofessional from everyone involved in that second half.

Just now, christ said:

We weren’t poor in the first half. Liverpool are probably the one team that thrive on absolute chaos more than us, as we found out last season. We needed to suck that out of the game and once we did we were the better team. They basically had nothing after the first twenty mins.

In the second half we didn’t finish them off, panicked and shafted ourselves. That simple. We took of anyone who carried any sort of meaningful threat, gave them the impetus to go for it during the last twenty mins because they were already 1-0 down. Minute they equalised we were losing that.

This part - This pisses me off to insane degree, what the fuck was said in the HT talk? Why the fuck did we just turn in to this passive piss team?

Right, I have to get it off my chest.  I've always wanted Eddie Howe as our manager.  Today, I am not so sure.  What the flying f#ck was that all about against 10 men.  We look great at pressing high and our speed and fitness is brilliant.  We go one nil up and went into slow motion tactics, why?  F#ckin hate Eddie at this moment in time.

Just now, christ said:

For my money, after the goal and sending off we were poor, our foot was off the gas no intensity to our play and didn’t do what I’d expect. 

we thought we had the game won and it’s come back to bite us on the arse. 

Arsenal needed goals this weekend and got them. Liverpool needed goals Abe’s got them. Man U needed goals and got them, we had loads of chances ands didn’t get them. That’s the only difference in then teams and us at the moment imo.

however, all three results this season are all better than the same games last season so there is some evidence we’re moving in the right direction.