AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He gave his all I'll give him that. Needs to calm down and trust himself more. He's better than he shows a lot of times because he lacks composure.

The only thing that was really unacceptable was him throwing himself to the floor looking for fouls. Once just outside our box that could have cost us and once in their box with a great chance to shoot at goal.

Aye. The one first half in the box was ridiculous, just get the shot off and see what happens. Great point though Kaka x

5 minutes ago, SAK said:

Can’t argue with his defensive efforts it’s his passing in attacking  situations most moan about. 

Got his massive swad on a few crucial headed clearances. Shanked the ball out of play a few times when making a straightforward progressive pass. Suppose we can’t have everything.

8 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I just wonder if we are suffering a bit of burn out, just as Liverpool did after their great season.  It must take it's toll on the players with the high press we played last season 

Exactly burn out 😂 

Huge point that. If we're going to qualify then Milan are the direct rival for 2nd place and taking a point away from home puts us in the box seat for that. Still to play them at SJP and I think it'll be a very different match over here and I think we'll beat them in November tbh.

Obviously hung on for long periods but that's what you've got to do at times, just dig in and grind out points. Pope was tested but I'd have fancied most of this board to make the saves he did tonight, he had quite a few to make but they were all pretty routine and comfortable, no worldie saves needed. Each game in this group is going to be an education and the players will grow and adapt as we get more and more used to the demands these games make. 

Solid start, clean sheet, point on the board and (crosses fingers) no injuries or suspensions. We can now look forward to PSG and rattling those fuckers up here very soon. It's a good night, enjoy it gentlemen :) 

3 minutes ago, CPL said:

How the hell does Tomori not get in the England team ahead of Maguire. Nothing was getting past him tonight.

One of Southgates original under 21 boys, totally loves him for some mad reason.

Edited by mighty__mag

Tell you what mind. I was already convincved we'd drop back in the league because of CL football and have been an advocate of the 94/95 similarity

but I'm totally convinced about that now.

Folk are going to have to come to terms with that and accept its goes with the territory - success/club at this point in its growth.

What struck me was the passing was all very hit and hope, no real intention to work the ball in a sequence. 

Constantly inviting pressure on because we were surrendering the ball by kicking it out of play or letting their defenders mop it up easily.

0-0 is still a great result, but I’m really disappointed at our attacking fluency this season since the opening day. Something isn’t working.

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aye. The one first half in the box was ridiculous, just get the shot off and see what happens. Great point though Kaka x

Chose to bail out of the situation rather than deal with the possibility of making a mess of the shooting opportunity.

So unfortunate that's his mindset at the minute. Could have been a glorious moment for him.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

What struck me was the passing was all very hit and hope, no real intention to work the ball in a sequence. 

Constantly inviting pressure on because we were surrendering the ball by kicking it out of play or letting their defenders mop it up easily.

0-0 is still a great result, but I’m really disappointed at our attacking fluency this season since the opening day. Something isn’t working.

This sums it up for me 

Delighted with that result. Yes it was hairy at times and a team with better finishers might well have stuffed us but some of the blocks, tackles, saves by Pope and the shift that went in are things to be proud of.

I'd like to think that now we've got 2 clean sheets on the belt and a slightly more favourable run of league games coming up that we will start to see some more attacking cohesion and chances created. We've built a wee platform and we need to start clicking in the final third a bit more and hopefully that starts at Bramall Lane.

Delighted for the lads and in a way it should be a confidence booster that they've not played anywhere near their best as a team there but still managed to take a point from the San Siro on our first game back at the big table.

17 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Brilliant point so not going to say much about our below par performance which seems to be the norm this season.

Not the right time or place, but that is something which will need to be addressed.

A game of two halves really. In the first their game plan wasn't entirely dissimilar to what you'd see from Villa or Brighton. Draw us up the pitch, play over the press and expose the defence with their quality out wide. We were incredibly fortunate to be going in level.

After the break we looked much more comfortable and seemed to settle into a mid-block, trying to hit them on to the counter. By the time we grew into the game as an attacking threat it was nearly done and dusted.

A hard-fought if not fortunate point from an inexperienced team against last season's semi-finalists can't be grumbled at though. 

Something has massively changed since last season. We're just not the same side as we were up to now. Our passing at times is laughable, it's so bad. 

Our attacks just go to nothing most of the time, there's seems to be no co-ordination between our forward, our winners and our midfielders. This isn't a reaction to tonight's performance, it's been evident in every game bar Villa this season.

Delighted with the point by the way. I just hope we can sort it out.

Edited by Scoot