Sheffield United 0-8 Newcastle United (24/09/23)

Disco

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think we were fortunate today with that result.  We still had the same issues at the start of the game.  Once we scored, then another, they just lost confidence.  I don't mean to be negative but I just don't like our current system.  Eddie will resolve it, we can't maintain this half pres half possession based system.

Is this a joke?

I think we were fortunate today with that result.  We still had the same issues at the start of the game.  Once we scored, then another, they just lost confidence.  I don't mean to be negative but I just don't like our current system.  Eddie will resolve it, we can't maintain this half pres half possession based system.

8’rs gonna 8 

25 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Mad how twatting teams off the park has become so normal. 8 zip and it just feels like back to business as usual after a rocky patch. In years gone by I’d have been buzzing off this result for days. :lol: 

We’re actually proper good now init ?

Sheff U are basically a Champo side with no confidence, trying to play open football against us.  We shredded them like they deserved to be shredded.  The manager setup against us like he was playing a L2 side. We are bad boys. Dont disrespect us. 

There were two situations where Trippier lost their winger/wing back and a dodgy Pope pass. Had nothing to do with our system. Besides that we were in full control for the entire game.

Remember that Sheffield United will have been preparing specifically for us for an entire week, and they know they have to rely on discipline and working harder than us to get a result due to lack of quality, so until we manage to break them down and spoil their initial game plan it'll be a tight game.

If only we could start every game with a 3-0 lead.

The 1st goal was fortunate, same could be said of the 2nd. They gave up after the 4th, we stopped trying after the 6th and they then managed to give us 2 more. It really should have been 12 or more.

We’ll play better and lose. Was a mad game.

I very nearly got a ticket in the home end for this. I would have been thrown out by half time😂.

We played very well, but as a lot of people have said, Sheffield Utd just looked shocking. If we were fully on our game it could have easy been 12-0 plus. Buzzing for Anderson and Longstaff. Only skim read a few pages of this thread but not seen much mention of Trips, hat-trick of assists.. wicked.

Well needed big win which should kickstart our season. 

11 minutes ago, Conjo said:

There were two situations where Trippier lost their winger/wing back and a dodgy Pope pass. Had nothing to do with our system. Besides that we were in full control for the entire game.

Remember that Sheffield United will have been preparing specifically for us for an entire week, and they know they have to rely on discipline and working harder than us to get a result due to lack of quality, so until we manage to break them down and spoil their initial game plan it'll be a tight game.

If only we could start every game with a 3-0 lead.

They played against us like they’ve never seen us play. They were open from minute 1 which is why they created a couple of openings early. Manager said so in the post match. 

20 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The 1st goal was fortunate, same could be said of the 2nd. They gave up after the 4th, we stopped trying after the 6th and they then managed to give us 2 more. It really should have been 12 or more.

We’ll play better and lose. Was a mad game.

how was the 1st fortunate? Maybe that the bounce hit Gordon (yes on his hand) but it was great tenacity on his part.

Just now, Pancrate1892 said:

I think credit for this victory goes to Steve Bruce.  

I'm sure there's a talksport interview that proves it. 

Gonna thank him in the street when I see him. Won’t forget to remind him to keep on going and he’ll get the Manure job. 

2 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

To be a handball it has to be deliberate. If a player scores with their hand or immediately after it handling the ball, even if accidental, a goal shouldn't be given but if another player scores the handball has to be deliberate for it to be ruled out.

It hit his hand accentually and he didn't gain any advantage, in fact it almost took the ball out of play.

The game actually turned on the injury to Barnes (no criticism of Barnes).

Correct.  This is the current rule, verbatim.

"It is an offence if a player:

- - - deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

- - - touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

- - - scores in the opponents’ goal:

- - - - - - directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

- - - - - - immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental."

50 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sounds daft after smashing eight in, but delighted about the clean sheet too. Three in a row and the defence getting back to its best can only be a good thing.

My insanity took over in the last few minutes, petrified of them scoring and ruining a perfect day :lol:

Haven't read anything prior not gonna lie. But we should have been 2 down after 25mins. We got a stroke of fortune for the first, the second was a pen in our favour had it not have been scored and the 'foul' for the third was not a foul. We should have had a pen for a fourth that didn't happen. But after that we absolutely smashed them and they capitulated.

Edited by Heron

13 minutes ago, Heron said:

Haven't read anything prior not gonna lie. But we should have been 2 down after 25mins. We got a stroke of fortune for the first, the second was a pen in our favour had it not have been scored and the 'foul' for the third was not a foul. We should have had a pen for a fourth that didn't happen. But after that we absolutely smashed them and they capitulated.

2 down?

Honestly, I suspect you'll play better than that this season and lose. Not to take credit away as you were on it and pressed them well, but that was an all-time embarrassing performance from Sheff Utd. There was a period where they passed you the ball in their own half about 4 times in 90 seconds. [emoji38]Sunday League stuff.