sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

See I'd say that Miggy was great regardless of the context of him having been in poor form. The amount of times he nicked the ball off them was ridiculous and he was constantly involved in our attacks.

Credit and criticism where it's due.

6 hours ago, CPL said:

It has probably been answered already but why the hell were they chanting pedo at Trippier? 

The irony of it ?? 

Anyone answer this earlier? Can't seem to find anything on it. 

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

See I'd say that Miggy was great regardless of the context of him having been in poor form. The amount of times he nicked the ball off them was ridiculous and he was constantly involved in our attacks.

I agree to an extent and hope for a half season purple patch to follow but playing devil's advocate was it the calibre of opposition that made it look so easy normally you put your foot in to try and reclaim the ball and the opposition either doesn't keep it at their feet long enough and you draw a foul or the opposition players "acts" in such a way to get the foul. 

Miggy is vastly experienced international I want a certain standard every game so while credit where credit is due I expect some of it from him as standard now if the side have ambitions of progressing with him.

One of the biggest plus is after the bollocking he got for taking the shot himself leaving Isak wide open and pissed he squared it for Isak instead. Hope that's the coaching team telling him we love your energy but it's a team game if you can give it to someone else to have a better chance at goal do it. 

27 minutes ago, CPL said:

Anyone answer this earlier? Can't seem to find anything on it. 

It's based on the made up twitter nonsense of him cheating on his wife with a 16 year old

It's utter bollocks but that didn't stop them chanting it at him, which tbf Trippier didn't let it get to him

It's all ironic as this is the same fanbase that lauded Adam Johnson, even after it was legitimately reported what he had done

33 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Credited with 9 tackles yesterday.

Which is an obscene number for an attacking player.

6 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

I agree to an extent and hope for a half season purple patch to follow but playing devil's advocate was it the calibre of opposition that made it look so easy normally you put your foot in to try and reclaim the ball and the opposition either doesn't keep it at their feet long enough and you draw a foul or the opposition players "acts" in such a way to get the foul. 

Miggy is vastly experienced international I want a certain standard every game so while credit where credit is due I expect some of it from him as standard now if the side have ambitions of progressing with him.

One of the biggest plus is after the bollocking he got for taking the shot himself leaving Isak wide open and pissed he squared it for Isak instead. Hope that's the coaching team telling him we love your energy but it's a team game if you can give it to someone else to have a better chance at goal do it. 

I mean the opposition played into his hands yesterday but he won everything and was brilliant. Any team that try and play out, he's a gem. He did this with teams like Brentford and Spurs last season for instance.

I definitely think fatigue has been a hindrance the last month because he's not been able to do this, that was his bread and butter even when he's been shite with decision making and with the ball. Hopefully now there's a week between games again him (and Gordon) will perform back to their level.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

In case anyone missed it but the mackems managed 0.20 xG in this match.

I watched an international feed and they displayed it as 0.01 xG in the first half. The match was effectively over 30 seconds later.

24 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's based on the made up twitter nonsense of him cheating on his wife with a 16 year old

It's utter bollocks but that didn't stop them chanting it at him, which tbf Trippier didn't let it get to him

It's all ironic as this is the same fanbase that lauded Adam Johnson, even after it was legitimately reported what he had done

The cheek of it! But if that's what they need to resort to and it shows how desperate they are. 

3 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

HIGHLIGHTS. 

Enjoyed nuanced mackem touches like the booing of possession at the start for 90seconds until they realised it was going to require an hour of booing possession, cheering their next touch - a block from a Trippier cross that went out for a corner. cheering Miggy's miscontrol that lead seconds later to a good penalty call and the home matchly Sunderland til I Die exodus as the penalty was arranged.

51 minutes ago, SteV said:

This video has still got me absolutely sent like. Must have watched it 100 times.

Honestly if you were that fuming why would you still be in the ground after the final whistle? ?

https://x.com/ellhurl/status/1743674789619757356?s=46&t=OQLMckSuatbpqWF13Al4mQ

Same :lol:

The old cut throat action, 'I'll fuckin kill ya', 'outside ya fuckin puff!' 

What a little ray of sunshine she is. 

6 hours ago, SteV said:

Birmingham v Villa has always seemed quite nasty to me?

@brummie might be able to comment further?

It is absolutely ferocious by any sense of the word.

Really thoroughly intense. Only same-city derbies can be like that IMO.

You don't see this very often, for example:

Edited by brummie

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Really thoroughly intense. Only same-city derbies can be like that IMO.

See whilst I'm not comparing the derbies, I kinda disagree that same city inherently breeds more dislike.

I think having your rivals in the same city, ultimately you know they're the same people, they're not really any different to you. You live next to them, you walk past them every day, they're your mates and your work colleagues. After the match, you've still got to be (reasonably!) polite to your next door neighbour.

With Sunderland, they're a different people. A different accent, from a different town with clearly different ways of thinking. We don't just hate them for footballing reasons, we hate everything they represent. The Brexity little Tommy Robinson supporting, blue-pop-swilling little bell-whiffs that they are.

2 hours ago, Stottie said:

In case anyone missed it but the mackems managed 0.20 xG in this match.

I watched an international feed and they displayed it as 0.01 xG in the first half. The match was effectively over 30 seconds later.

We say that and it turned out that way but looking back Dubravka had to make two great saves. One of them a little fortuitously with his leg after huge deflection. 2-1 and it would’ve made for an interesting last quarter of the game. The key was we never let their crowd in it from minute one.

3 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

He's done it against Champions League level opponents so I don't buy this at all. He does need upgrading and will be an excellent impact sub imo, but his poor form is again a lot to do with the amount of games and lack of rotation imo.

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

See whilst I'm not comparing the derbies, I kinda disagree that same city inherently breeds more dislike.

I think having your rivals in the same city, ultimately you know they're the same people, they're not really any different to you. You live next to them, you walk past them every day, they're your mates and your work colleagues. After the match, you've still got to be (reasonably!) polite to your next door neighbour.

With Sunderland, they're a different people. A different accent, from a different town with clearly different ways of thinking. We don't just hate them for footballing reasons, we hate everything they represent. The Brexity little Tommy Robinson supporting, blue-pop-swilling little bell-whiffs that they are.

There are many examples of the opposite. It can be about class, religion, politics etc. Celtic-Rangers being an obvious example, Boca-River is another

31 minutes ago, Collage said:

There are many examples of the opposite. It can be about class, religion, politics etc. Celtic-Rangers being an obvious example, Boca-River is another

Oh if you drag religion in, sure. I was talking about people who normally think rationally though.

31 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He's done it against Champions League level opponents so I don't buy this at all. He does need upgrading and will be an excellent impact sub imo, but his poor form is again a lot to do with the amount of games and lack of rotation imo.

Not sure what part you disagree with infact you yourself are saying he needs upgrading so isn't an automatic starter for that we agree.

His goal and assist record wouldn't get him into top 6 sides. Yes he brings an element of dogged determination when things are going well you love and applaud. In games when we carve out one or two clear cut chances and it falls to miggy or longstaff your heart sinks as most of the time its not going in and in tight games it costs you. 

Do I want him sold? No not unless it makes ffp sense. Do I think he tries his hardest? Yes he certainly doesn't go missing. Do I think he's played too much football? Yes but we all know why. 

Doesn't mean I allow myself too get overly carried away based on a much improved performance yesterday. Think my original point was more fact I want a certain standard if he is in the side and some of the stuff yesterday is what I expect him to do. 

Next season he is a bench player for me.