Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest neesy111

Mentioned in the Other Games thread, but the away goals rule in the League Cup. Should either apply after 90 minutes or not at all and go straight to penalties. Don't see how it's fair how one team get an extra 30 minutes to score the away goal like Sunderland had. First time I noticed this was when Spurs knocked Burnley out the same way a few years ago.

It's same in the play-offs as well.

Guest neesy111

I don't like the away goals rule period.

Should only be used in europe.

Why? I don't see what difference it makes. If anything it makes the home team more negative. Never liked it, never saw the point in it.

Well it stops away teams from completely parking the bus in away games.

I don't like the away goals rule period.

Should only be used in europe.

Why? I don't see what difference it makes. If anything it makes the home team more negative. Never liked it, never saw the point in it.

Well it stops away teams from completely parking the bus in away games.

It's supposed to but in reality,  does it?

The away goals rule was brought in when travelling away in Europe was a massive disadvantage which is not the case anymore. It was nowt to do with trying to encourage positive football. It's a bit of an anachronism and shouldn't really have been used domestically in the first place.

The away goals rule was brought in when travelling away in Europe was a massive disadvantage which is not the case anymore. It was nowt to do with trying to encourage positive football. It's a bit of an anachronism and shouldn't really have been used domestically in the first place.

:thup:

:thup:

I'll add my :thup: here too. Also Wullie is playing a nicely cynical stormer tonight so :clap:

You don't get battered by the Bulgarian police at the airport and then have to get battered by the Bulgarian team on the pitch in front of a bribed referee, as a completely random example from the 70s, in wunderland or manchester, so that domestic rule is stupid. End of normal time, 3-3, go to pens. Or have your one-match semi at a neutral ground as in the FA Cup if you want to be taken semi-seriously. All depends on the sponsorship and goddamn media as usual though. :(

Or like I said, if they insist on the away goal rule, both teams should have equal time, not one team having 90 minutes & the other getting 120. Should either be away goals after 90 minutes like in European competition, or like has been said, pens straight after the 90 if away goals don't count. Not the 'it doesn't count after 90 but does after extra time' crap.

Or like I said, if they insist on the away goal rule, both teams should have equal time, not one team having 90 minutes & the other getting 120. Should either be away goals after 90 minutes like in European competition, or like has been said, pens straight after the 90 if away goals don't count. Not the 'it doesn't count after 90 but does after extra time' crap.

I have some sympathy with this, but nobody is making the obvious point that the home team get an extra 30 minutes at their home ground, in front of their own fans. It doesn't seem a totally unreasonable trade-off.

I have some sympathy with this, but nobody is making the obvious point that the home team get an extra 30 minutes at their home ground, in front of their own fans. It doesn't seem a totally unreasonable trade-off.

kinda agree with this and the league cups idea's of only using it in extra time to try and get some kind of result is fair enough imho

Who's to say though, that if Man Utd had 120 minutes at the SoL, they wouldn't have scored again?

Who's to say though, that if Man Utd had 120 minutes at the SoL, they wouldn't have scored again?

Well nobody, but that's not the point. The argument was that the away team in the second leg gets an unfair advantage under the rules. My point was that that advantage is mitigated somewhat by the home team getting an extra 30 mins at their own pitch.

Lad at work (Man Utd fan, surprisingly) is making a massive issue of this. I have some sympathy but as far as I'm concerned, the 2 advantages cancel each other out - Sunderland have 30 minutes extra to get a goal that counts double, but Man Utd have 30 minutes more in front of their home fans.

Besides, after 180 minutes if you haven't beaten the other team decisively, then obviously there isn't much between the teams and you can have few complaints about getting knocked out on away goals be it after 90 or 120 minutes. Tough shit.

Because they're shite?

Other fans criticising your views on your own club without knowing the full story of what's going on behind the scenes. I recently spoke to my Man U supporting mate about how I can't see any sort of progression from us and his response was that if we were 15th/16th, we would be crying out for our current position (which is true tbf) and that we shouldn't be complaining as such. Excuse me for questioning our ambition/future plans...