Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

"If I did that on the street I'd be done for assault/If I did that on a night out, I'd get arrested."

People commenting on challenges, elbows, punches etc. You are playing a contact sport, FFS. In what situatiom wpuld you be jumping for headers in a nightclub and elbowing people in the head, or double footing old ladies outside Greggs?! I'm sure I have gone on about this before. But it is infuriating.

"That goal difference is worth an extra point."

No. It isn't.

To be fair if there is a big difference in goal difference with only a few games left then it's likely that it will be like having an extra point.

I'm being petty. But It's effectively worth 0.5 points. If the other team has one more point than you. You don't sit level with them, do you? Plus things can change quite quickly and it soon goes. Brighton were closing on us. After us being miles ahead. Then a couple of wins for us and losses for them and they are back being wel behind.

Probably already in here, possibly by me, but when teams wear their away strips when there's no need like we are doing tonight.

Teams are contracted by the supplier to wear their away and third strip 'x' amount of times a season.

The feeling behind it is that fans will be discouraged to buy a shirt if it's only worn by the team once.

If that's the reason it becomes even more of a hate, especially as the feeling  that fans would be discouraged is wrong.

Not all teams have the same agreement but a majority do.

There was an article a while ago about Norwich(?) discussing why they wore their third kit against Stoke that makes reference to clubs having this contract clause.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3399504/Norwich-City-chose-wear-bizarre-kit-defeat-Stoke-City-Premier-League-rules-it.html

I don't even see any need for a thrid strip. For the benefit of fans the FA should bring out a rule that away strips HAVE to be of a colour/design that would mean no need for a thrid strip. For example, our 70's Yellow top blue shorts kit measnt if the Black and white clashed with someone, the away strip couldn't. Not only that but fans would get an attachment to "their" away/change colours.

Third strips are about money via shirt sales and little else.

Apart from our mid-90s Sheff Wed special away kit (that green one) as far as I recall, they first worked in 3rd kits as a regular thing for us the third time we qualified for the CL, calling it a CL away kit as other clubs had done, which quickly became a 'Europe' away kit after Belgrade ended that campaign. Think it was then a 'cup away kit' for a season or two before just a unashamedly unnecessary third kit.

Goal difference is literally worth an extra point.

Not really. If you're a point behind a team but with a better GD, you don't then have the same amount of points. It's a decider for teams on the same points.  :milner:

Not that 'it's an extra point' annoys me as it's clear what they mean.

Most of the sayings in football are absolute bollocks. Also stats about a club that are based on entirely different players and managers to the ones they have now.

For an elite level sport with so much money involved the level of analysis is shocking. Five minutes watching NFL analysis beats an entire season of MOTD.