St James' Park

Delima

10 hours ago, Wandy said:

Honestly, the Georgian architecture in the city centre is wildly overrated. Grey Street is holding up quite well but the buildings of Granger Town are in a dreadful state. Absolutely filthy and signs of rot everywhere. It’s actually quite embarrassing seeing how badly the city centre has been allowed to decay and God only knows what visitors to  the city must think. And don’t get me started on all of the embedded chewing gum on every street. It’s absolutely rancid.

The state of the buildings has got absolutely nothing to do with architecture of the city, which is something to be proud of.

The city has been hung out to dry by the Tories for decades, not sure anyone is surprised by this.

10 hours ago, Wandy said:

I would like to know when that photo was taken. Not any time recently I bet. Next time you are walking up Granger Street take a close look at the brickwork. It’s absolutely filthy.

Taken on 13th March 2021.

I use it as a 'current-day' photo.

4 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

you think they will relocate the corporate facilities in the corner? takes up a canny amount of room 

They’ll possibly have the two levels of boxes wrap around to the Gallowgate.  Would be the more aesthetically pleasing option.

12 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

The state of the buildings has got absolutely nothing to do with architecture of the city, which is something to be proud of.

The city has been hung out to dry by the Tories for decades, not sure anyone is surprised by this.

It would be something to be proud of if it was in good condition, but it isnt. I agree about who is to blame for that though. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

you think they will relocate the corporate facilities in the corner? takes up a canny amount of room 

If I'm putting 2 & 2 together I'd assume so yeah.

I'm just holding out for a move that doesn't cost an arm and a leg [emoji38]

20 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It would be something to be proud of if it was in good condition, but it isnt. I agree about who is to blame for that though. 

Architecture is about the design and construction materials used in a building, and not the condition of something.

I agree that some of the buildings need a clean.....you should have seen it in the 70's before they started the Grainger Town Restoration project. 

4 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Architecture is about the design and construction materials used in a building, and not the condition of something.

I agree that some of the buildings need a clean.....you should have seen it in the 70's before they started the Grainger Town Restoration project. 

Again, not disagreeing with that. But if something isnt done soon it wont be long before some of the buildings are looking like they did in the 70s. The city has a variety of nice archirecture but it needs some serious maintenance right now. The Tyne Bridge has been allowed to rot though so I'm not holding out much of hope of anything happening any time soon.

Its not just the buildings though. The streets are covered in bedded-in white stains which I can only assume is bird shite or flattened chewing gum. Whatever it is though, its just minging and its something that I havent really noticed when visiting other city centres.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Again, not disagreeing with that. But if something isnt done soon it wont be long before some of the buildings are looking like they did in the 70s. The city has a variety of nice archirecture but it needs some serious maintenance right now. The Tyne Bridge has been allowed to rot though so I'm not holding out much of hope of anything happening any time soon.

Its not just the buildings though. The streets are covered in bedded-in white stains which I can only assume is bird shite or flattened chewing gum. Whatever it is though, its just minging and its something that I havent really noticed when visiting other city centres.

was I reading the other day they’ve approved a renovation of the Tyne bridge? Think it was on the guardian?

7 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

was I reading the other day they’ve approved a renovation of the Tyne bridge? Think it was on the guardian?

They have, but its been left rotting for so long that its going to take much more time, effort and money to fix it.

1 minute ago, christ said:

Just flatten everything north of Central Station and build a 500,000 seat sports dome. Only solution.

That's not a bad idea actually. 

Wall off the city and turn it into a massive game of that medieval football they have in Alnwick every year when it lasts all day and no one has scored a goal since the 1720s, which, considering our clean sheet record, wouldn't be much of a departure from the norm. 

30 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

If we have exhausted all options... Let's just build it on the Tyne.

Whoever kicks the ball in has to get it!

the-float-marina-bay_1579157694.jpg

Brink back the Tuxedo and stick the pitch and stands on there. Revolving dance floor/centre circle included

3 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

I agree that some of the buildings need a clean.....you should have seen it in the 70's before they started the Grainger Town Restoration project

That is just so 100% wrong.

The massive stone cleaning of our beautiful City Centre buildings started in the mid-1960s and was largely completed by the mid to late 1970s, I followed all this very closely at the time.

So, while our City Centre is very beautiful now, it was "sparkling new" beautiful in the mid-1970s !!!

2 hours ago, Wandy said:

I can't say one way or another as I haven't been in awhile, but people notice the flaws in the places we know best (our own house, our town/city, etc). I'll say this -- when I first came to Newcastle I came for a football club and to visit my cousin (in that order) and I left having fallen in love with an entire city. The same is true for my wife, who couldn't care less about the football club.

8 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

He mentions it , in his latest you tube video (st James park / strawberry place update)

there seems to be quite a bit  of space between the gallowgate and the road already if you factor theres a huuuuge walkway at the back of the gallowgate stand already on top of shearers etc

I’ve got great reservations about sweeping the current structure around to the Gallowgate end in its current guise, the Leazes isn’t conducive to creating any atmosphere in its current layout. I think they’re going to surprise folk here and try and build it from scratch again just NW of SJP’s current footprint. The East Stand just isn’t in keeping with what they’ll have in mind long term and I’m not convinced they can do anything with it either that’ll represent value for money. 

They’ll have plans for Strawberry Place but it’ll not end up being the Gallowgate extension.

5 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

If we have exhausted all options... Let's just build it on the Tyne.

Whoever kicks the ball in has to get it!

the-float-marina-bay_1579157694.jpg

Thankfully we've already played Forest at home. If Chris Wood recreated his Sheff Wed chance on that pitch, he'd have to swim 5 miles out to sea.

25 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’ve got great reservations about sweeping the current structure around to the Gallowgate end in its current guise, the Leazes isn’t conducive to creating any atmosphere in its current layout. I think they’re going to surprise folk here and try and build it from scratch again just NW of SJP’s current footprint. The East Stand just isn’t in keeping with what they’ll have in mind long term and I’m not convinced they can do anything with it either that’ll represent value for money. 

They’ll have plans for Strawberry Place but it’ll not end up being the Gallowgate extension.

Think so too. Be interesting to see what happens.