St James' Park

Delima

On 27/02/2023 at 12:03, Bada Bing said:

Noticed the attendance for the Liverpool game was given as 52,758. 

Didn't think the ground held that many. If so, guessing that would be the highest all-seater attendance at SJP?

Edit: Nufc.com has it 52271 so not sure.

i noticed that newcastles 2022/23 page on wikipedia has 52,758, I'm thinking this has to be wrong. What is the max capacity? 52,305? 

noticed empty seats at the etihad yesterday, whilst we are not talking about rows there was plenty of single seats vacant around the ground. This is as they have just released plans to spunk another 7000 seats mackem style (just to remind everyone that the flatpack characterless heap of shit has an extra tier which has served a similar purpose to a pair of nuns tits)

For some reason this always drags me back to the time Souness had the audacity to claim that 'Newcastle are not a proper club' even pardew with his puppet strings now relaxed couldn't believe what he was hearing and quite rightly challenged him, unfortunately the situation needed someone to take Souness to the cleaners and retort with facts to make him look like the inadequate bitter fucking cunt he is. 

I wonder if Wembley had a capacity of 200,000 how many tickets would NUFC sold? 80000? 90000? 100000? the likes of Souness would say the novelty would wear off. But what if the proper clubs had to endure nearly 2 decades of asset stripping, relegation and complete neglect, playing second fiddle to a shit tracksuit company. Imagine those single empty seats becoming rows and blocks as the day trippers/half and half scarf wearing pricks that spend all the match holding their phones can't fuck off quick enough. 

For me supporting Newcastle was never a choice, you are inextricably linked to the city/team, it's in your blood. It's not because you saw bobby charlton punting shit 300 miles away so you choose 'united' or because you are a 'fan' of Haaland so you now follow 'city'. Quite simply I hear someone say I support 'united' or 'city' I just think what a dick, a fucking fraud. Especially united, which is quite a significant disregard of history, I'm still waiting to hear which 2 teams united to make Manchester United. I'm probs going off topic a bit. but this again fits into the bullshit category. Sky and social media are littered with these sorts of people, that support the 'proper' clubs, the media get a wide on for that shit. 

To go back on topic...If we do stay at SJP (i think we will) at least we are guaranteed 60000-65000 proper fans, I'm sure with expansion we will be addressing singing sections, safe standing, acoustics and more flexible seating to sit nearer your mates. Maybe there would be scope to pay on the door again.

I really don't want to move from SJP because that's what makes us a proper club, I can't stand Liverpool, but I'm sure they've retained their identity by redeveloping Anfield (at the expense of peoples homes mind). I watched a ground tour at Spurs and yes it's impressive, but it's vacuous, and you only have to compare the comfort of the Emirates to the nightmare of playing at Highbury, but I'm sure that point as been made over and over again on this thread. 

If we couldn't redevelop SJP then the only option would be to redevelop the site. Personally I think we'll go with the easiest (but still an expensive option) and redevelop the gallowgate, I just can't see us knocking huge chunks of the leazes and milburn down, it just wouldn't make any sense from the saudi's investment point of view for a multitude of reasons even with the significant challenges of building on strawberry place. if we'd went out and bought neymar and ronaldo then maybe, but they've shown that is not the way forward or sustainable. 

I think the last 3 results have told us, let's keep our feet on the ground, and we should take the same attitude about stadium redevelopment. With Euro 2028 destined for the UK and Ireland I think we should see some plans either in the summer or certainly 2024 with scope for work to start 2025 or at the latest 2026. A bit of a waffle that, but it's sunday morning and theres fuck all else on my mind.

Good post. Man City is my biggest fear of what our support will turn into if we were to build a 80,000 seater at the Arena. The young Liverpool fan who kicks off about their own support from a few years back is also a warning to heed. 

It’s going to be a fine juggling act - that’s for sure. I hope I do get to go to the club’s working group on safe standing. As someone mentioned about City fans the other day - safe standing doesn’t = atmosphere. Nor was that the case at Wembley. 

Random one for today, that's probably been done at length in the past, but where do people prefer to sit in the ground and why?

I've had STs in the Milburn Paddock at the Gallowgate end, front row of the Gallowgate right next to the South East Corner, higher up in the South East Corner itself, and now at the very back of the Gallowgate (in the middle).

Otherwise, I think I've sat pretty much everywhere there is to sit and I would never, ever choose to sit anywhere other than the Gallowgate (including both corners).

If I could hand-pick my seat (or safe-standing spot) I think I'd go upper-middle tier of the Gallowgate right behind the goal, just at the point where the roof doesn't obscure the view of L7.

In terms of the last place I'd want to sit, I've been right up against the glass towards the back of the Milburn stand and it was fucking atrocious. Just a weird perspective and atmosphere, with nothing to your right except a cityscape.

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

If I could hand-pick my seat (or safe-standing spot) I think I'd go upper-middle tier of the Gallowgate right behind the goal, just at the point where the roof doesn't obscure the view of L7.

Pretty much exactly where our tickets are, just off to the right a little towards Strawberry Corner in between the goal & the edge of the box. Wouldn't swap them for anywhere else in the ground.

48 minutes ago, Rich said:

Random one for today, that's probably been done at length in the past, but where do people prefer to sit in the ground and why?

I've had STs in the Milburn Paddock at the Gallowgate end, front row of the Gallowgate right next to the South East Corner, higher up in the South East Corner itself, and now at the very back of the Gallowgate (in the middle).

Otherwise, I think I've sat pretty much everywhere there is to sit and I would never, ever choose to sit anywhere other than the Gallowgate (including both corners).

In terms of the last place I'd want to sit, I've been right up against the glass towards the back of the Milburn stand and it was fucking atrocious. Just a weird perspective and atmosphere, with nothing to your right except a cityscape.

I grew up watching from the Gallowgate Corner and ever since then I've never liked watching a match directly from behind the goal. I like seeing the net bulge from an angle when a goal is scored as it gives an increased sense of drama IMO, as you are never quite sure if a shot is going in the goal until right at the last second. Or maybe I am just weird. :lol: 

My first season ticket was pre-Level 7 John Hall Stand, about 5 rows up in the upper tier and near to the Milburn Corner. I remember when I first sat in the seat and thinking, "F'kin hell this is really high". I got used to it though, and the noise under the roof at that level really sounded loud.

The Gallowgate is my go too, but honestly it only is because that’s traditionally where the most vocal support was. I don’t think it is the case now.

The Milburn stand near the halfway line and a dozen or so rows back is probably the best view.

Aside from the climb, there is also nothing wrong with level 7 in my option. People who say it’s too high up are on another planet, worse still when they take a picture on their phone bemoaning the view.

Personally, I don't think we should go much over 60,000.  I'm sure we could fill 80,000 seats for big games and/or if we are doing well, but you only need to look back at some of CL campaigns under Robson - quite often our attendances were in the high 40,000s rather being full sell outs.  I'd much rather have a packed 60,000 stadium than risk having a 80-90% full 80,000 stadium.

4 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

Personally, I don't think we should go much over 60,000.  I'm sure we could fill 80,000 seats for big games and/or if we are doing well, but you only need to look back at some of CL campaigns under Robson - quite often our attendances were in the high 40,000s rather being full sell outs.  I'd much rather have a packed 60,000 stadium than risk having a 80-90% full 80,000 stadium.

You can't compare football attendances from best part of quarter of a century ago to now though. The popularity of football is at an all time high. We're selling oit for early round League Cup games these days. There's only Southampton in the PL that don't sell out every week. That was unheard of till not all that long ago.

I think 65k is the perfect number for Newcastle United.

47 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Pretty much exactly where our tickets are, just off to the right a little towards Strawberry Corner in between the goal & the edge of the box. Wouldn't swap them for anywhere else in the ground.

Sounds exactly where my seat is. Mid tier Gallowgate facing the edge of the 18yd box. Wouldn’t want to move too far from there ever. Only the Strawberry Corner itself at a decent height would sway me.

14 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The Gallowgate is my go too, but honestly it only is because that’s traditionally where the most vocal support was. I don’t think it is the case now.

The Milburn stand near the halfway line and a dozen or so rows back is probably the best view.

Aside from the climb, there is also nothing wrong with level 7 in my option. People who say it’s too high up are on another planet, worse still when they take a picture on their phone bemoaning the view.

If you're in the first few rows it's brilliant. I hate it at the back though. You just feel detached from the whole thing.

8 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

I will never understand this point of view. It's a bit like saying that there is no point in owning a Porsche/Ferrari/Lamborghini as there are very limited opportunities to use it's 180mph+ capability.

Even if a 80,000 seater has occasions when it's "only" 80% full that is still 64,000 crowds you would be getting. But for NUFC, about 70,000 is the sweet spot whereby you would nearly always have capacity crowds when the club is ran with genuine ambition, no matter who the owners are.

The lower crowds for CL football also mean nothing. Its a ego stroking/money generating competition where you might only play 5 or 6 games in an entire season, and most fans don't really give a shit about it when you get down to brass tacks, which is a big factor in why there was so much opposition to the Super League. In this country the league comes 1st, 2nd and 3rd in importance to the fans. And its why NUFC has never had a problem selling out league games when the the club has been run properly.

As long as the club punches it's weight and actually tries to compete for trophies then selling out a 70k stadium for league games will never be a problem. If some cup games only attract 70/80% of capacity then so what, it's nothing to be embarrassed about or a reason to build a smaller stadium. That is small-time thinking.

Before I got my season ticket I used to buy tickets wherever I could get them and the worst by far was the back row of Level 7 in the Milburn.  It would be OK if the whole stadium was that height but, in isolation with the Leazes it feels strange , I was also very pissed on the day I sat up there and actual felt a bit of vertigo or something, quite dizzy with how high I was up against the backdrop of the City.

The nice comfy seats in the Milburn bar areas but, zero atmosphere.

I moved to the East Stand over 10 years ago and sit amongst some lovely people, 2/3 of the way back and basically in between the halfway line and the Gallowgate 18 yard line.  We have an atmosphere there, mainly as a result of being quite close to the Strawberry corner.  ( I still hate, and will always hate, that Stand up if you love the Toon chant - not because it involves standing up.  I just hate it....  I remember all the variants like shoes off, pogo and so on....  all with as much yuck).

The East Stand gets a lot of grief on this forum for being full of old people and moaners....  it is the worst stand in the stadium though.  Getting in and out is a proper pain and the toilets are revolting...  I dont hear too much moaning other than some bloke behind me who relentlessly contradicts himself, like "Maxi, you're shite!"  2 minutes later "Maxi, you are brilliant!"  That is just football fans though, fickle bunch eh?

1 hour ago, Nepharite said:

I loved being in Level 7 next to the away fans before Ashley dispersed us all for singing horrible songs about him. Went to the Strawberry Corner for a season and enjoyed it.

Same and would move back up there in a heartbeat 

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

You can't compare football attendances from best part of quarter of a century ago to now though. The popularity of football is at an all time high. We're selling oit for early round League Cup games these days. There's only Southampton in the PL that don't sell out every week. That was unheard of till not all that long ago.

I think 65k is the perfect number for Newcastle United.

Good point, i remember going to villa in Ashley area and being fair few thousand empty seats amongst other grounds yet they have a waiting list now I beleive.

Edited by NUFC91

The only time I've ever had a view I didn't like very much was in the East Stand/Leazes corner, but closest to the long edge of the East Stand, meaning you were somewhat creaking your neck to see what was going on at the Gallowgate End.

Other than that (and presumably the same at the other end), I genuinely don't think there's a bad view in the ground. I don't like being low in the Milburn, with so much behind you, but that doesn't affect the view of the pitch of course; I just love being able to see as much of the stadium as possible (another reason why I wouldn't want to be far back in the Gallowgate where the roof obstructs your view).

If I had the choice of the ground I'd probably go East Stand but close to Strawberry Corner to get both the class view and a guaranteed bit of atmosphere. Two of my favourite moments ever were there (Perez winner against Everton and Bruno winner against Leicester).

Worst view I've had was front row by the corner flag Milburn/Gallowgate corner. Great for seeing how fast the game is and the skill and technique of the players but a rubbish view of the game.

My attendance at SJP has been really sporadic since 2013, but whether it's been in 1994, 2005, 2009, or 2015, the best place to be has always been almost the exact middle of the Gallowgate for me, by a mile.

I'm not much of a singer, but I find it really easy to get involved whenever I'm there. The exact opposite when I'm anywhere else.

Edited by Kid Icarus

27 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If I had the choice of the ground I'd probably go East Stand but close to Strawberry Corner to get both the class view and a guaranteed bit of atmosphere. Two of my favourite moments ever were there (Perez winner against Everton and Bruno winner against Leicester).

:D

Sitting in the padock, where I used to stand from early 90 to late 91, when the East Stand was shut for renovations during the Intertoto games reminded me why I'd stayed with the East Stand.

But that's how football changed for you. The slope was always tricky from there, couldn't see the touchline on the other side, and it wasn't easy standing at the front of the Gallowgate either. But you didn't really go for the entertainment/football in those days, was just to support the team and win. My first two away games I didn't see jack shit but loved it.

Edited by Wolfcastle