Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Did they actually try for Jaaskelainen?

Sniffed around but there was nothing concrete I believe.

For me only Derby are really weaker than Sunderland on paper.  For me Wigan and Brimingham's attacking options are better than ours, while I reckon the likes of Fulham and Boro have stronger defences than us.

However as I've mentioned before, in my opinion any other season and this team would be a cert for relegation.  But this year we seem to be in luck at just how poor the teams I expect to see around us are. And so I do believe there is still chance but I just think that we have a Championship class squad, with the possible exceptions of Richardson and Gordon).

I do agree, riches, that investment in January could be vital and I think we are in the fortunate position o having a board that does  seem willing to plough cash into transfers.

Did they actually try for Jaaskelainen?

Sniffed around but there was nothing concrete I believe.

For me only Derby are really weaker than Sunderland on paper.  For me Wigan and Brimingham's attacking options are better than ours, while I reckon the likes of Fulham and Boro have stronger defences than us.

However as I've mentioned before, in my opinion any other season and this team would be a cert for relegation.  But this year we seem to be in luck at just how poor the teams I expect to see around us are. And so I do believe there is still chance but I just think that we have a Championship class squad, with the possible exceptions of Richardson and Gordon).

I do agree, riches, that investment in January could be vital and I think we are in the fortunate position o having a board that does  seem willing to plough cash into transfers.

SAFC,

Your right about the Board. For all the talk and press articles around Keane, for me Quinny will be your star asset this season.

He'll invest when previous Boards wouldn't.

That could be your saviour.

SAFC is the only down to earth Sunderland fan I know tbh.

and is the only reason I hope for him that his club stays up.  :thup:

Nowt that I have any say in the matter, but you're always welcome round here, SAFC. 

We have a good bunch of posters from other clubs like Everton, Arsenal, Villa, Sunderlun'

Shame about spuds.  ;D

Think Sunderland will stay up. Good luck SAFC for the season (Till you play us of course)

It is funny how posters from other clubs can make you feel different about certain teams - at least for me.  I have hated City for over 30 years but because of Dr Spectrum and hearing of all their woes, I am more kindly disposed to them.  Same for Villa although never really disliked them.  Used to like Spurs but can't stand them now.

I do enjoy the different perspective that they bring to the board.

It is funny how posters from other clubs can make you feel different about certain teams - at least for me.  I have hated City for over 30 years but because of Dr Spectrum and hearing of all their woes, I am more kindly disposed to them.  Same for Villa although never really disliked them.  Used to like Spurs but can't stand them now.

Apart from the bit about Spurs (never liked them), I agree with you there. :nods:

Yes and compliments should be made to 1878. The previous Everton supporters we have had on this board were terrible... although they did inspire some really creative photoshopping and ridicule.

I know there are some decent Spurs supporters out there by the way - I have actually met some... true story.

Apart from the bit about Spurs (never liked them), I agree with you there. :nods:

Thirded. Doc and Brummie add a lot to the board, while there's a good deal to be said for safc and 1878 as well. I wouldn't mind having one canny poster from each team on here, like. Just one though.

Yes and compliments should be made to 1878. The previous Everton supporters we have had on this board were terrible... although they did inspire some really creative photoshopping and ridicule.

I know there are some decent Spurs supporters out there by the way - I have actually met some... true story.

1878 is another great poster.

We do have a good set of other fans. Would be nice is we could complete the set!

Don't know much about Gordon but he'll have to be bloody good to justify that fee. You get the impression they're putting all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

Clearly Sunderland are struggling to attract decent quality but you'd think they could find a few older 'experienced' players, the type Sam bought to keep Bolton up. Paying large sums for 'young potential' is a gamble in their position, espescially when you consider that these players have little to no Premiership experience.

Thirded. Doc and Brummie add a lot to the board, while there's a good deal to be said for safc and 1878 as well. I wouldn't mind having one canny poster from each team on here, like. Just one though.

You forgot Ash- Resident gooner!

Its nice to get an outside perspective though. We all drag each other down so much in here lol..

What ever happened to Rafa?

Gone off to re-write history. He'll be back at some point to claim that Torres is the "final piece in the jigsaw".

Or, like a fella i heard on the radio on Sunday, that it'll be a two-way race between the RS and Chelsea, and that Man Utd are "off their game". Classic stuff from the Annual Liverpool Delusion Society.

Guest Rushian

Gone off to re-write history. He'll be back at some point to claim that Torres is the "final piece in the jigsaw".

Or, like a fella i heard on the radio on Sunday, that it'll be a two-way race between the RS and Chelsea, and that Man Utd are "off their game". Classic stuff from the Annual Liverpool Delusion Society.

To be fair there's very few Liverpool fans who think we'll win the title. The vast majority are predicting the same old 3rd or 4th and a decent run in Europe. It's very much wait and see on signings such as Torres and Babel. Fears remain that our left-side hasn't been improved and we've got too many good players centrally (Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Sissoko, Lucas) who Rafa will struggle to keep happy.

What's gone under the radar is the lack of net spending under the Yanks - we've coughed up just over 20m having sold the likes of Bellamy, Cisse, Pongolle, Garcia etc and given the TV income is expected to rise by this amount and our normal net spend per season was around 15m before they arrived, they could be accused of keeping a very firm grip on the purse strings.

Its nice to get an outside perspective though. We all drag each other down so much in here lol..

And Trotter...

And Trotter...

mackems.gif

Guest trotter58

I just think that we have a Championship class squad, with the possible exceptions of Richardson and Gordon.

Nope, Richardson is Championship class as well.