Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

1 hour ago, clintdempsey said:

Dyer was superb for us. When him, Robert and Solano were firing on all cylinders we were a very good team.

Bobby’s team had so many different threats be it the sheer breakneck pace of Dyer, the intelligence and sweet, sweet right foot of Solano, the power and directness of Robert, the brute force and never-say-die-attitude of Shearer combined with Bellamy’s tenacity. Fucking hell I miss those days. 

That was a great team in the making, so so close to being a title winning team, but missing a few key ingredients, fitness and mental strength fortitude mainly being the key missing elements for me.

Just now, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

His goal away to Everton in 99/2000 is incredibly underrated. 

I remember it vividly to this day, I also remember him (and our team) just simply outplaying, running, fighting and working away to Leeds that took us top. The pace and energy in that team even with a slowish back four and an ageing Shearer was brilliant to watch. 

16 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I remember it vividly to this day, I also remember him (and our team) just simply outplaying, running, fighting and working away to Leeds that took us top. The pace and energy in that team even with a slowish back four and an ageing Shearer was brilliant to watch. 

If we were a goal down with 20lefr I'd always be confident with that team and we'd just out last teams.

I like him as a player and saw him plenty in town where he always seemed quite shy, didn't see any of the antics he was accused of.

10 minutes ago, madras said:

If we were a goal down with 20lefr I'd always be confident with that team and we'd just out last teams.

I like him as a player and saw him plenty in town where he always seemed quite shy, didn't see any of the antics he was accused of.

Aye we were the come back kings at one point. We had such a goal threat even in defence, an underrated team who probably, in the end, underperformed when it mattered.

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

I mean, the front 6 were obviously good, but there was a certain O'Brien/Bramble shaped problem behind it. 

And yet, we still had a very respectable defensive record… we defended from the front by playing attacking football. 

Edited by HTT II

3 hours ago, Heron said:

Dyer was an overrated runner in my opinion like. Not too dissimilar to a Walcott or such like. Was used correctly and massively effective for us, but he doesn't even bare comparison with a Solano (for example) for me when it comes to footballing ability and awareness, etc. 

Unpopular opinion more than likely. 

Spot on - technically he wasn't that good and that's what ultimately let him down.  As you say, Solano was a far superior player technically.

Running at speed with the ball, breaking the lines, pulling teams out of shape; Dyer was better than just about anyone. Such an underrated and important ingredient in a team.

Dyer was a great player for us, frustrating yes, but he could win a game with a single run.

When we lost to Brazil in the quarter finals Dyer could have made all the difference.

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

Aye we were the come back kings at one point. We had such a goal threat even in defence, an underrated team who probably, in the end, underperformed when it mattered.

I just watched the 01-02 season DVD and we indeed seemed to concede first in almost every game. Loved that team, still have 02-03 and 03-04 to watch. :smitten:

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

I just watched the 01-02 season DVD and we indeed seemed to concede first in almost every game. Loved that team, still have 02-03 and 03-04 to watch. :smitten:

03-04 was such a shame. Having finished 3rd we should really have pushed the boat out to take us up another level. Bowyer on a free simply wasn't enough, more so considering he wasn't the same Lee Bowyer of Leeds with his late runs and goals. 

Michael Bridges was a damp squib to say the least too. 

13 hours ago, lovejoy said:

he got booed because he refused to come on against Middlesbrough 

Yep, didn’t want to play where SBR wanted him too.

Then when he treated the captains armband like dogshit and dropped it on the floor…

Edited by Thomson Mouse

17 hours ago, lovejoy said:

he got booed because he refused to come on against Middlesbrough 

Wasn't it that he refused to play right back - but he did end up playing? As pretty sure it was the same game where he slipped, allowing them to put the ball in for Hasselbaink to score a last minute equalizer with his hand. A bit of a what if - given that was first day of season, and it was our failure to win in opening few games that got Bobby sacked.

I think he had refused to play on the wing because he had seen Bellamy do the same. After refusing to play on the wing for us, he then played on the wing for England in the next game IIRC.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Wasn't it that he refused to play right back - but he did end up playing? As pretty sure it was the same game where he slipped, allowing them to put the ball in for Hasselbaink to score a last minute equalizer with his hand. A bit of a what if - given that was first day of season, and it was our failure to win in opening few games that got Bobby sacked.

Yes and I still blame him and Hasselbaink for the demise of the club