Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

http://i.imgur.com/hpIsLDT.jpg

So depressing!

Imagine having a sneak preview of this in say 2004. :lol:

You'd just..

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF--Nope-No-way-Nah-no-nope-Jerry-Seinfeld-Seinfeld-GIF.gif

but McClaren is the best we could expect in our current situation.

That's a bit of a fallacy though as the best we can get is entirely dictated by what Mike Ashley/Charnley decide, considering they are the ones making the decisions. And what is best for the actual club is debatable (a bit like the whole 'do you want us to be relegated' argument).

Steve McClaren is only being seen as the best we can hope for because he's the man they've decided they want, had it been a different man then they would be the best we could hope for etc, like KI said yesterday it's just a trick, we cannot fall for it.

@Kazuki

The 19th richest club in the world with a global fanbase and a 1 city club that brings over 50,000 fans through the gates each week should realistically expect to be challenging the top 6 every season, they should realistically expect to appoint a credible manager with a proven track record to take the club forward, not just stagnate in the same miserable position year after year. They should be expected to sign a decent calibre of players to take the football club forward for a decent price and pay them realistic wages considering the amount of money they make commercially (60m TV money + sponsors merchandise + gate reciepts etc) which is rising year-on-year. They should be able to challenge for trophies such as the FA Cup and Carling Cup where teams far below us in terms of finances, club size and standard of players have succeeded in either winning the cups or making it to the final in recent years.

Realistically, THAT is what we should expect. Under Ashley it will never happen. There is a huge line between what is realistic and what Ashley wants to make us think is realistic.

Call it accepting Ashley, or accuse me of having lowered expectations

Yep, you're a scab.

:lol: alright man

@Kazuki

The 19th richest club in the world with a global fanbase and a 1 city club that brings over 50,000 fans through the gates each week should realistically expect to be challenging the top 6 every season, they should realistically expect to appoint a credible manager with a proven track record to take the club forward, not just stagnate in the same miserable position year after year. They should be expected to sign a decent calibre of players to take the football club forward for a decent price and pay them realistic wages considering the amount of money they make commercially (60m TV money + sponsors merchandise + gate reciepts etc) which is rising year-on-year. They should be able to challenge for trophies such as the FA Cup and Carling Cup where teams far below us in terms of finances, club size and standard of players have succeeded in either winning the cups or making it to the final in recent years.

Realistically, THAT is what we should expect. Under Ashley it will never happen. There is a huge line between what is realistic and what Ashley wants to make us think is realistic.

Yep, you're a scab.

You laugh, but "scab" is the perfect expression. You're lucky it wasn't "fucking scab"...

http://i.imgur.com/hpIsLDT.jpg

So depressing!

Imagine having a sneak preview of this in say 2004. :lol:

You'd just..

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF--Nope-No-way-Nah-no-nope-Jerry-Seinfeld-Seinfeld-GIF.gif

:lol: If page 1 of the Carver thread is any indication...

@Kazuki

Yep, you're a scab.

You laugh, but "scab" is the perfect expression. You're lucky it wasn't "fucking scab"...

Is it really?

So have you not attended a match since Ashley took charge? Under Pardew? Carver? But I'm a scab because I'm not suicidal at the thought of McClaren managing us. I think it's worth a little chuckle to be honest.

Club probably thinking/hoping that after 6 months under Carver, we'll see McClaren as some sort of managerial coup.

I might feel slightly better about Schteve if he manages to bin Carver and Stone as coaches and fetch his own people in.

If he keeps them on, then little or nothing is going to change.

This.

Club probably thinking/hoping that after 6 months under Carver, we'll see McClaren as some sort of managerial coup.

I might feel slightly better about Schteve if he manages to bin Carver and Stone as coaches and fetch his own people in.

This.

God willing, aye.

He's going to love speaking to de Jong, Janmaat, Krul and Big Vurn

At least they might have a modicum of respect for him unlike the potato in the tracksuit next to him.

I guess it comes down to what you want. Do you want to be able to support your football team or do you want the club to crash and burn? I prefer the former, as my view is that Ashley will be here for as long as he wants to. He will fuck off one day, and then I'd prefer to be in the PL rather than League 1.

I'm not really bothered, I'd just like to be able to watch a decent side playing good football. Generally for that you need either good footballers or a really clever manager. McClaren doesn't really strike me as one of those, but  - I'll say it - he's better than Pardew or Carver.

@Kazuki

Yep, you're a scab.

Is it really?

So have you not attended a match since Ashley took charge? Under Pardew? Carver? But I'm a scab because I'm not suicidal at the thought of McClaren managing us. I think it's worth a little chuckle to be honest.

There is precisely zero funny about the whole situation.

Accepting, on any level, decisions made by Ashley that further the mediocrity of his reign is implicit support of the regime. Even worse than that, they don't even have ambitions to be mediocre; the evidence is that 17th is acceptable, and first-match exits from cups is preferable.

So yes, comments like "but McClaren is the best we could expect in our current situation" are the words of a scab, because you're saying it is acceptable. McClaren's appointment perpetuates Ashley's reign, precisely because he will provide us with the Ashley dream of 12th-17th place finishes.

What we need is for every prospective candidate to say "No". Every single one. And when they leave Carver in charge, and we go into free fall until they eventually have to sack Carver, and then every prospective candidate needs to say "No" again. Because the only way Ashley will go is if no one accepts his terms.

The same goes for players. Sure, money talks, but when players start saying "No", and we fill our teams with dregs and kids who haven't had the stars kicked out of their eyes, then we might see some movement.

"Call it accepting Ashley, or accuse me of having lowered expectations - it's the only way I'll get any joy out of football in the forseeable future", says you. Congratulations on putting your pleasure ahead of the club's pain, mate, because that's exactly how Ashley wins.

I only see .com who are confident enough of saying this is a done deal. Yesterday,when they reported Viera was in talks with us, they were dismissed as not being a reliable source anymore. And thier Viera story has since been taken down. So should we trust this McClaren stuff too?

This.

Yes, please. So uninspired by a McClaren appointment but this would be marginally less grim.

I only see .com who are confident enough of saying this is a done deal. Yesterday,when they reported Viera was in talks with us, they were dismissed as not being a reliable source anymore. And thier Viera story has since been taken down. So should we trust this McClaren stuff too?

Not necessarily but think it's been obvious for ages they want McClaren

Guest Roger Kint

Will have to wait at least a week for him to come back from his holiday by the sounds of it. What a farce, going to be a few weeks til we even consider transfers. Good to know we are on the ball as ever :lol:

What a club this is....

For what it's worth, if anyone isn't suicidal because we didn't get Klopp, Benitez, De Boer or Bielsa, some comments from Derby fans upon hearing he'd left.

Worth a read, especially considering how some of us (myself well and truly included) get p*ssed when fans of other clubs say "Bet you wish you had Pardew back" or "Pardew's a good manager" etc, who better to judge then the fans of the team the guy has managed:

For two of the most memorable and exciting seasons we've had this century

He rekindled my stale love for DCFC after the constant serving of mediocrity and underachieving from the previous regime and for that I thank him. Yes it turned a bit sour towards the end, but don't all break ups?

Am a bit choked up over this news.  Thanks for the memories Steve, wish you all the best

McClaren has arguably given me the greatest pleasure watching my team in just over 20 years. So for that I can only be grateful.

McClaren's time here was by far the most enjoyable football I've experienced. Gutted that it's had to end like this and without promotion but I'm pleased that the situation has been sorted out quickly. Good luck Steve and thanks for the memories.

Very upset about this decision. Thanks  Mac for beating the gumps 5-0, thanks for taking us to Wembley and thanks for rekindling my love for this great team.

Good luck :(

Minus the two or three months at the end of last season, he did a brilliant job for us. Played some great football under Mac. Disappointed to see we've let him go, a tad harsh for me.

Thanks Steve and best of luck in the future!

changed this club into an interesting one and would have been happy to give him another season

thanks for the memories, last season was the best and most enjoyable I can remember

Wish him all the best

Had the team playing great last season

We're all quick to shoot the guy down because we think we should aim higher, while Ashley's here (and let's be honest it will be for a f***ing while) we're not likely to. By the sounds of their fans, they've been playing good football. With the players we've signed over the last few years all we've wanted is someone who can get them to play, and McClaren has managed abroad, he's not your typical British manager, like Pardew for instance. I'm confident that McClaren will play our better players and get them playing well. Who knows how good we could be until he's had half a season or so with them? Time will tell, but to be moaning like f*** already is a bit melodramatic.

Of course it's not inspiring but what should we, realistically, expect?

But that was in the Championship and often teams are more successful in that division by being more attacking than defensive.

He is a "safe" manager and I wouldn't be surprised to see  him adopt a more pragmatic style here - after all avoiding relegation is the only criteria from the club and he won't want to take risks.  I don't recall Boro being known for their attractive football in his only previous Premier League job.

This is a freakin disgrace tbh. Why is this guy even in consideration, all because of bloody Carr, and people insist on giving him a free pass !!

If they think this appointment is going to sell season tickets they are sadly mistaken, mind you they probably don't give a damn.

What do you expect Carr to do? He's go this own job of getting good players in, which he will feel he has been doing, while the managers have made them look bad.

Of course he's going to want to work with someone he knows and can have discussions about how to maximize the potential of the players being brought in.

Ultimately things will work best if Carr and the manager are on the same page to be honest.

What do you expect Carr to do? He's go this own job of getting good players in, which he will feel he has been doing, while the managers have made them look bad.

Of course he's going to want to work with someone he knows and can have discussions about how to maximize the potential of the players being brought in.

Ultimately things will work best if Carr and the manager are on the same page to be honest.

Lucky Carr isn't mates with Kinnear then.