Steve McClaren

Dave

Was it me or was Sissoko positioned slightly differently today? Looked like he was taking up a role between CM and the wing but actually neither and he exploited the area very well with Wijnaldum doing the same on the other side.

Wonder if it was intentional by McClaren to bring him narrower to influence the play a bit more?

He definitely looked narrower than usual, but I'm not sure if it was an intentional thing or not. It might just have been because our midfield is non-existent.

It brought him naturally more central when he drove with the ball and he seemed to thrive from being in those areas.

As you say the CM situation is bleak so perhaps Sissoko and Wijnaldum have been told to exploit that space.

Was it me or was Sissoko positioned slightly differently today? Looked like he was taking up a role between CM and the wing but actually neither and he exploited the area very well with Wijnaldum doing the same on the other side.

Wonder if it was intentional by McClaren to bring him narrower to influence the play a bit more?

Sounds a bit like a right sided shuttler.

:lol:

Sounds a bit like a right sided shuttler.

Prefer the back scuttle.

More like that please. If we can't defend, let them attack.

Deserves lots of credit today, would have been easy to try and keep things very tight considering the position we are in and the pressure on him. Pardew certainly would have.

:thup:

Very sensible move to sub Tiote too.

Yep, appalling decision to start him mind.

I dunno. I could see that argument for it. He's obviously not happy with the middle two and wanted to shake it up. I get that. I'd have dropped Colback over Anita btw but I don't think it was 'appalling' per say.

I heard Steve McClaren'S black and white army today.  I give up on our fans ffs

Getting behind a manager after a difficult start should be commended. We're not f***ing Chelsea fans.

So why not get behind him for the last 8 games?

I heard Steve McClaren'S black and white army today.  I give up on our fans ffs

Getting behind a manager after a difficult start should be commended. We're not f***ing Chelsea fans.

So why not get behind him for the last 8 games?

It's been sung all season.

Has to demand the club addresses the frailness of our defence in January (if still here).

We simply have to sign a centre half to replace Collocini, a proper left back and find a more solid and forward/positive thinking DM than we currently have (ideally selling/shooting Colback)

Fair play for today (albeit against a very poor display by Norwich).

The scoreline flattered by all accounts but fair play, never easy to score 6 lets be honest.

Win next week and a doff of the hat is maybe, begrudgingly given.

Think he's used Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Perez & Mitrovic perfectly the last 3 games. I know Sissoko underperformed in the first two games but I think today's shown that's our best bet. They could do serious damage to a lot of sides. Two against Chelsea, should have been 2-3 at City, 6 today. We've got goals in us.

:thup:

It's been a sort of 4-2-2-1-1 with plenty of fluidity and some genuinely great movement off the ball. Have doubts about its longevity but it's a system that should see us do well through the next run of fixtures. It's quite flexible for when we need to either go more possession or counter-based too - Wijnaldum's both comfortable dropping in pockets and sticking further out wide etc.