Steve McClaren

Dave

Exactly. I didn't want Vieira either, although I admit he would have been more exciting. I wanted a Garde, De Boer, Gourvennec type of appointment. Someone young and ambitious and proven to an extent, ready to make the step up to a bigger league. The sort of appointment the likes of Spurs or Southampton would have done.

It's just hard for me to understand how you had any semblance of hope about this appointment.

Hope yes, expectation no. There is a difference.

He did so fantastically well with Derby that they sacked him.

It usually transpires that a lot of the managers who come up from the Championship aren't good enough for the Premier League. Our fans are busy trying to convince themselves that one who couldn't even manage the play-offs is good enough for Newcastle United. Christ.

You liked Chris Hughton didn't you? He failed to get Birmingham promoted (before they went to shit), Rodgers failed to get Reading promoted....pretty sure there'll be other examples.

I'm sure there's enough reasons to oppose his appointment but I think this is a poor reason.

Why don't all Premier League clubs do their managerial shopping amongst the Championship mid-table then?

You can't hire a manager just sacked by a Championship side and claim it's anything other than outrageous negligence, again. Would Everton, Spurs, Southampton hire this mug? Why aren't West Ham absolutely battering his door down?

Like Pardew, he is seriously damaged goods, with good reason.

Excellent post this. I read it earlier while at work but didn't get a chance to post until now.

I've had a few moments of trying to talk myself in to accepting McClaren, only because I know it's coming and it's just another false dawn to expect anything else. I tried looking at his record managing, taking in the views of Derby fans etc. but ultimately, the nail is hit firmly on the head in this post.

As soon as you start to justify going for a recently sacked Championship manager for a club that wants to win something in the Premiership, you know your having a laugh really. All of that Ashley interview is already looking a joke, I'm sure money will be spent, it has to be spent to ensure safety next year. It's clear as it ever was that we have no intention to win anything, if we did we would be pulling out all the stops to have the best manager possible. Making silly offers for Klopp etc. just to see if we can pull off a gaining a magic ingredient to improve our club and push up the table and win a cup.

McClaren is Pardew II. Nicer bloke, but still a limited manager who will accept a weak platform and the low ambition of staying up at SJP just to be managing in the Premiership again. Anyone with a shred of self belief and real ability at the top level would just laugh at us with what we must be offering right now. All words, no substance.

Exactly. I didn't want Vieira either, although I admit he would have been more exciting. I wanted a Garde, De Boer, Gourvennec type of appointment. Someone young and ambitious and proven to an extent, ready to make the step up to a bigger league. The sort of appointment the likes of Spurs or Southampton would have done.

Without a doubt that is the direction we should have taken, but the hierarchy has a fetish for English managers and of those McClaren's not the worst. Far better than getting a Pulis or Allardyce inflicted on us. Not that it will make much difference without serious money being spent on the squad. That's where Ashley's lying will next be put to the test.

He bowed to fan pressure at Twente and resigned the second time round didn't he?  At least we know if it all goes to s*** and people get on his back he won't cling on like Pardew. :lol:

He likes a pay off though and Ashley doesn't like paying managers off so if it wasn't working out, he would probably continue in an unhappy unrelationship like Pardew did.

If McClaren is to become our new manager I'm going to assume he'll be shite and he'll be treated that way until he proves me wrong.  As far as I'm concerned he's getting into this position so he's setting himself up and that has nothing to do with me.  His new bosses will deserve the brunt of the criticism but he'll also get it and will deserve it if it's justified by his actions and or our results.

We all know we'll do the bare minimum with players to ensure we just have enough to stave off relegation. The problem is with the right manager we can still outperform that, with the wrong one you're still in danger of relegation with £100m+ on the pitch. I can deal with prudent player purchasing if we have the right man in charge. If you cut off the quality at both ends you don't leave much room for error in the middle.  This won't go well, nailed on.

Guest chopey

I'm fully prepared to give McLaren a chance but I'll judge him on the players he brings in

He won't bring anyone in.

In that case I'm fully prepared to fucking freak

Guest antz1uk

If McClaren is to become our new manager I'm going to assume he'll be s**** and he'll be treated that way until he proves me wrong.  As far as I'm concerned he's getting into this position so he's setting himself up and that has nothing to do with me.  His new bosses will deserve the brunt of the criticism but he'll also get it and will deserve it if it's justified by his actions and or our results.