Steve McClaren

Dave

I don't think the league is particularly bad TBH. It'll always seem that way if all you're looking at are the three shit teams that keep you up. The top (approximately) six are pretty strong, and a couple of the promoted teams did really well too.

John Carver had a 15% win rate for half of the season and we finished 9 points lower than 10th place Crystal Palace, managed by Alan Pardew.

The league is fucking toilet, it's so bad we couldn't even flush ourselves down it [emoji38]

In our current squad what we lack in quality we make up for in numbers

:lol:

I'm with HTT on this one. Ultimately we are still operating under Ashley's flawed model and it will once again fail to deliver what they promised.

I'm of the belief that a proper manager, coaching team will make a difference. If we can follow up the Wijnaldum signing with two or three more similar deals, then that should really give us a chance of kicking on, and also perhaps be an indicator that Ashley himself recognises that his flawed model needed an overhaul.

Not that I expect us to hit the ground running, to change a football team from a shapeless hoofball team into a passing one is going to take time. But by the second half of the season we should see the team taking shape. McClaren's no coaching genius by any stretch of the imagination, but to compare him with Allardyce is way off the mark.

Steve McClaren

An Update from the US

We have now made the journey from Milwaukee to Sacramento having completed the first leg of our US tour and the travel has given me an ideal opportunity to let you know how things are going.

We’ve really enjoyed being in the United States so far. Talking to supporters, they are delighted to see the players here and to get the opportunity to watch them train and play.

We had a lot of supporters down to see us training in Milwaukee on Monday and even more inside Miller Park for our first game against Club Atlas on Tuesday. There were a lot of black and white shirts around – and a lot of people with American accents wearing them, which is great to see – and they created a fantastic atmosphere.

Tuesday night's game against a strong, physical Club Atlas team was a very good workout for us. It was just what we needed at this stage of pre-season and we got through 70 minutes at a good tempo.

It took us a little while to adjust. Atlas are a good side. They were quick and direct and you could see they were ahead of us in their pre-season preparations. Once we adjusted, we dominated the second half especially and created good chances.

We were good with the ball. We had the courage to play; the players wanted the ball.

That said, I didn’t think in the first half that we were good without the ball. Atlas were very aggressive, they won more duels and tackles and broke up play more than us. At half time, I said to the players that they have to look after themselves but they must make sure they compete. They certainly did that in the second half. We were aggressive back and there was only one team in it after that.

The performance at this point is obviously important, but so was the spirit. We were 2-0 down after a short time and the players’ heads could’ve dropped. But we stayed in the game. We got a deserved goal back just before half time and we looked like scoring again.

Ultimately, we’ve come through unscathed with no injuries and I’m very pleased about that. Our aim is to give the players as many minutes as possible as we head deeper into pre-season.

I thought the end of the game was great in terms of being able to see fans again and for those in the stadium to get closer to the team. The players went around the stadium and signed autographs, took photos and really took their time doing so.

That’s important. As well as preparing, we are also here to see people who haven’t seen the team for some time or who are watching the club for the first time. The people of Milwaukee and the supporters who have travelled to see us so far have been fantastic.

We are now in California ahead of Saturday’s game and we have two days to prepare for it. We have watched Sacramento Republic and it will be a different game but equally as challenging, particularly in such warm temperatures. We had a test against Atlas and we’ll get one on Saturday. We have also welcomed Gini Wijnaldum to the group today and I'm sure you're all very excited to see him get started.

There’s a long way to go for us all. We need to continue building fitness levels over what is a relatively short pre-season.

We have to build a winning culture and a good environment, build the team and get them on board with what we’re trying to accomplish. We want the players to have attitude and to fight for every minute.

The signs I’ve seen from the team are that the players are taking on board what we’re telling them, what we’re coaching them. If the players keep up the attitude and spirit they’ve shown me, it will take us a long way.

I look forward to updating you again soon.

Best wishes,

Steve McClaren

Head Coach

On a totally different planet compared to Pardew et al! He really is.  Lets hope his attitude so rubs off on to the players and that his preferred approach actually translates into a better organised, more enjoyable team to watch!

I am realistic about how long this might take and clearly it is very important we get more players in to but so far feeling reasonably positive about McLaren.

This email letter is almost word for word what he said in the post match interview (apart from the last bit) :lol: I have my doubts over if it's written by him, or just someone writing up the post match interview and sending it out to everyone as him with a bit added on the end. Oh well, at least it's being done

I'm not too keen on McClaren because I think we could and should have appointed better. That said, I hope he does well because he isn't a detestable bastard like the last two and I think he will try to be the best that he can. I think he's an honest bloke and I think he wants go give the fans a good team playing good football.

Wish Carver had of done this, he would have just posted a load of nonsense all about himself, how he has to believe he is the best coach in the league and the players are letting him down and he knows what this means to the people of the city.

Yours sincerely,

JC - one of the fans, a fellow geordie and ex-assistant to Sir Bobby Robson.

Don't see why everybody is so impressed with this. Loads of platitudes the kind of which any manager expresses during mid season.

And McClaren is expressing these platitudes pre-season.  Way ahead of the opposition.

Don't see why everybody is so impressed with this. Loads of platitudes the kind of which any manager expresses during mid season.

Yep, anyone can talk a good game, but I still think he will be an improvement on Allardyce and Pardew.

I think a lot of people want McClaren to fail because they want Ashley out, which is fair enough. But I think Ashley has cottoned on to this and is removing himself as far as possible from the blame by attempting to put in place a competent team on the pitch. It won't quite be enough, but it should be a million miles better than the piss take of the last few seasons.

To be fair, McClaren himself has said talk is cheap.

But we asked for better communication and at the minute, they're clearly making a bit of an effort. Whether they keep it up or not is another matter.  But I'm pleased its improved.

Don't feel the need to be updated by the manager on a regular basis. Presumably this is their attempt to improve the communication with fans and I'm sure some will appreciate it. I'd much prefer the spineless wankers to front up and answer real questions and provide a bit of leadership and direction from the top. Bland, inane blurb from the only one who hasn't demonstrated himself to be an absolute cunt isn't quite the same. Meh.