Fat Sam and his Fat Head

Greg

After the Souness and Roeder travesties I was delighted when we got him, got to say. When we won 3-1 at Bolton I was just about as optimistic as I've ever been.

Reality sharp kicked in with defeat away to Debry and then everyone was smelling the coffee by the time we were dusted off Portsmouth and Liverpool at home...And that lucky 2-2 draw at home with the worst ever prem side Derby County.

From what I remember I couldn't believe we were going for him and disliked him from day dot. Saying that, now someone will find a post saying he's brilliant!

Not backing the manager? Times changed you, Ian.

http://www.imgur.com/tqEMtii.jpeg

He has seemed to abandon his principal of signing cheap experianced players like Okocha, Djorkaeff (sp) Hierro, Ivan Campo etc. Now he spends stupid money on very average players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A69791818

^ i've not forgot about this

the man boils my piss. i honestly think we'd have got relegated that season had we not binned him off and got KK in.

i hope he takes west ham down and then gets sacked  :rant:

Never forgot? I don't remember even hearing about that. :lol:

I still can't believe how optimistic I was after that opening day win. Granted, I was watching it absolutely wasted on a lads holiday. But I never envisioned how much our fortunes were going to change over the season. The morale and the form of the team was doing nothing but plummeting. I have no ill feelings towards West Ham as a club, half my family are Hammers. But I still hope he's allowed to stay and prove to everyone that he really can take a team down, contrary to his media cronies' bullshit. Couldn't be a better fit for those cunts of owners.

In a pointless bid to justify why many of us wanted him appointed at the time (i.e. save face), in addition to the earlier point raised that we had appointed Fat Sam a few months after his Bolton side had finished 7th (whilst playing OK football for that era), I'd like to add:

1) That given how tiny Bolton were, he was essentially unproven from our point of view. He had done well with very little money in some seasons, having to work with Bosmans and players in the twilights of their careers, so it was only natural to assume that he might do even better if given a solid transfer kitty, which he duly received when appointed. Unfortunately the bellend thought the likes of Smith would be great purchases.

2) It's also easy to forget that one of the main arguments in favor of his appointment was his "scientific" approach to fitness. At that point in time iirc we were the worst club in the Premiership for players picking up injuries, something that had gotten out of hand given how often key players and first teamers were on and off the treatment table. I remember newspaper articles at the time giving us theories about why our players were frequently picking up injuries, and iirc Souness a few years earlier had tried to do something about it by installing an artificial pitch or something along those lines. Given how advanced Allardyce came across with his "War Room" and mini army of tacticians, the training and diet regimes he boasted about in his interviews, on that front alone appointing Allardyce did seem like a sensible step forward.

Aye the 2nd point is what I was getting at, was definitely a major reason for the appointment seeming sensible at the time.

aye, this and the fact that we were on the fucking bones of our arse and needed a manager who could keep a team in the league without spending 18m on michael owen or whatever it was on albert fucking luque

he was perceived heavily at that time to be a manager who could get things done "on the cheap", turns out not really

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A69791818

^ i've not forgot about this

the man boils my piss. i honestly think we'd have got relegated that season had we not binned him off and got KK in.

i hope he takes west ham down and then gets sacked  :rant:

This x 100000000000000000

Hate him, didn't want him here and want him to be shown up for the sham he is by taking WHAM down and NOT bailing out beforehand.

I think I was pro the appointment as we needed organising after the shambles of Souness and Roeder.  I thought he would bring some decent cheap players in and start rebuilding.  Obvisouly Ashley took over and didn't give him any money to spend and his football was minging.  I was still annoyed when he was sacked in Jan.  Thought they should have just seen the season out with him and made a fresh start.

I remember the press conference, he was going tomeet Ashley and Mort to discuss players...ened up sacked.  :lol:

Fairly sure that Fat Sam spent quite a bit that summer, most of which was under Ashley too.  £6m each on Alan Smith and José Enrique (then hardly ever played him), £3m on Rozehnal, £2m each on Fayé & Bèye.  He signed Caçapa, Geremi & Viduka on Bosmans but they would have been on very decent wages & signing fees.  His shitty, wasteful, irresponsible spending was arguably the reason that Ashley panicked and brought in his mates to oversee transfers that led directly to Keegan leaving.

Wasn't there also a rumour at the time that the reason that he got the sack in that January transfers meeting was because he told Mort that he wanted to sell most of the dreck that he'd just persuaded the board to purchase in the summer?

Guest chopey

I think that he would have been sacked weeks ago but it will just cost too much, by the time Wham pay off him and all his staff and then bring in a new boss with transfer funds, it will just be cheaper to keep hold of him and hope he keeps them up

Sam Allardyce has said that he and Mark Hughes have not been given enough time at bigger clubs. The Blackburn Rovers manager also said that he would win a league title every year if he was in control of Real Madrid or Manchester United.

Allardyce and Hughes meet tomorrow as the managers of Blackburn and Fulham. Hughes was sacked by Manchester City last season and Allardyce's time in charge of Newcastle lasted less than half a season.

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter or Real Madrid," Allardyce said. "It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time. Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem. It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time.

"It's not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and [it] would make my job a lot easier in winning it."

:lol: :lol: