Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Really wish I knew more about Gomis but nothing I've heard about him convinces me he'd be a better option than Bent.

Plenty does for me, he's a more imposing physical presence for a start.

In France he is, says very little about how he'll do over here. He's also apparently a lot slower and less of a goal thread. :dontknow:

Pretty sure they are talking about Moussa Sew.  :coat:

Gomis a slow version of Cisse?? :o  Not only is he a different kind of striker to Cisse, but he's also not slower.

Thorin, just because they both tend to play up front alone that doesn't make them the same kind of strikers.  One is a poacher, the other is a target man who brings others into play, they're both goal scorers of course.  They're two different players, which is why they'd give us different options.

Even if he doesn't start every week he will provide genuine competition to Cisse.

Lets just say we plan to play Remy and Hatem either side of a central striker, both Cisse and Gomis will be in heavy competition and likely will never shut the other one out.

This is what competition is all about and we never had it last season.

I for one would not complain about that at all, about f*cking time would be my response.

Even if he isn't as good a player as Cisse he still might be a better option against certain teams or in certain setups. It'd be the first time in years we'll even have a choice like that to make if it comes off so fingers crossed.

Gomis would lose that battle big time from what I've heard and looking at his record, like. Just saying.

Perhaps but even so, someone from Cisse, Remy and Gomis is going to be on the bench at any one game.

All 3 of them are not going to play and lets say if we look at it like this.... Gomis or Cisse and Remy or Gouffran you finally have strength in depth.

Going from Shola and Campbell( no offense to the lad but he's not ready yet) to Gomis and Remy is pretty good.

Warming to the idea of Bent tbh as back up.

I'm for the idea tbh if Gomis deal falls through.... what ever way you look at it.... Cisse, Remy, Gouffran and Gomis/Bent is a great selection of strikers.

No matter what system Pardew wants to use we have options who can all score goals.

To summarise (IMO); Presuming we buy Gomis and Bent which seems unlikely and unnecessary.

Gomis and Cisse can't and shouldn't play together. They both prefer playing as solitary strikers through the middle.

Bent and Cisse as above.

Gomis and Bent as above.

Fortunately Remy can play with anyone of them though Bent would be the least suitable of the three.

I think we'll see Cisse and Remy in some of the easier (I know) games but possibly just one when Pardew is trying to keep it tight (always if last season is anything to go on). Remy is probably now our number 1 striker option.

Cisse can have some pretty drastic drops in form as we saw last season. The problem was we couldn't drop him out for a few games like most other clubs do with out of form players and he ended up playing more games than anyone.

To summarise (IMO); Presuming we buy Gomis and Bent which seems unlikely and unnecessary.

Gomis and Cisse can't and shouldn't play together. They both prefer playing as solitary strikers through the middle.

Bent and Cisse as above.

Gomis and Bent as above.

Fortunately Remy can play with anyone of them though Bent would be the least suitable of the three.

I think we'll see Cisse and Remy in some of the easier (I know) games but possibly just one when Pardew is trying to keep it tight (always if last season is anything to go on). Remy is probably now our number 1 striker option.

Sometimes strikers just play to their own strengths and bypass the necessity to form a cohesive partnership (see Shearer and Ferdinand).

Before anyone brings it up, Ba and Cisse didn't work mainly because the service (ie scraps) only suited one of them.

Bent's time at Spurs suggests that he can remain a goal threat when not regularly starting.

For a striker on the bench, it's probably a more important skill than all-round game. See Chicharito vs. Wellbeck etc.

The other plus with Bent is that he's scored against everyone, even strong opposition.

Bent's time at Spurs suggests that he can remain a goal threat when not regularly starting.

For a striker on the bench, it's probably a more important skill than all-round game. See Chicharito vs. Wellbeck etc.

The other plus with Bent is that he's scored against everyone, even strong opposition.

Would Bent be happy as a bench warmer? It would take a lot better squad management than we've seen from Pardew previously to make a rotation policy work at Newcastle.

Lyon chief blasts Bafetimbi Gomis

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has defended his treatment of Newcastle United target Bafetimbi Gomis as well as the club’s decision to keep hold of Lisandro Lopez instead of the France international.

Following protracted negotiations, Newcastle have agreed a fee with Lyon to sign Gomis, 27, who scored 16 goals in Ligue 1 last season.

The striker, who has one year left to run on his contract, has already rejected several chances to move to another club, and Aulas has admitted that recent events have strained relations.

“Bafe gave me a commitment to either leave for a fee or to sign a new contract with us,” Aulas told Le Journal du Dimanche. “His agent Etienne Mendy - but is he really an agent since he doesn’t have a licence? - questioned the word that was given.

“The situation is certainly difficult to live with for a player whose ambition is to play in the World Cup. But it’s not easy for us either.

“We were very close to him when he experienced some difficult moments. I have a lot of affection for his family. But for the club, it’s an obsession to settle this difficult case successfully.”

Aulas said he was hurt by Gomis’ decision to watch local rivals and former club St Etienne in Europa League action on Thursday, but that he could forgive him for his actions.

However, the Lyon chief also sought to justify the club’s decision to keep Lopez, 30, another striker in the final year of his contract, over Gomis.

“It’s first of all a financial decision,” Aulas said. “Then it’s a sporting one, which [Lyon coach] Remi Garde is responsible for.

"Lisandro has a charisma and a relationship that’s extremely pure and strong. Of course, there are Bafe’s statistics but there’s also the collective life, the dressing room [to think about].”

Meanwhile, another striker linked with Newcastle this summer has dismissed talk of a move to England.

Andre-Pierre Gignac has two years left on a lucrative deal at Marseille and has said he has not thought about leaving the club this summer.

“I’m coming out of a season that could be considered a good one after two that were very difficult,” he told L’Equipe. “I scored 18 goals in all competitions. Do you think that I’m saying to myself, after reversing the trend, that I’m going to leave? Then you don’t know me well. I never intended to leave. Never.

“Newcastle and all the rest, it’s rubbish. These rumours don’t unsettle me. There was talk of Newcastle but if it was Real Madrid, it would be the same. I want to do better with Marseille.”

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1514143/lyon-chief-blasts-bafetimbi-gomis?cc=4716

Nothing really new about Gomis but if Gignac is staying at OM, they are unlikely to buy Gomis.

Really wish I knew more about Gomis but nothing I've heard about him convinces me he'd be a better option than Bent.

Plenty does for me, he's a more imposing physical presence for a start.

Pull on Ronaldo's heart strings, clever.