Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Lacks the composure to ever be an effective striker.

Bit early in the guys career to be saying stuff like that. Thought he put himself about quite well at times tonight. Very raw though and needs to probably go out on loan.

Bit early in the guys career to be saying stuff like that. Thought he put himself about quite well at times tonight. Very raw though and needs to probably go out on loan.

But can you ever see him getting 12+ goals a season?

I'm  not saying he's gonna turn out to be a world beater, but I think he's got something about him and could turn out to be a decent player. Needs to learn a lot though, particularly in his positioning, i.e when to help a team mate and come to feet for the ball, and when to make a run. He also needs to get used to playing in front of a load of people under pressure.

I'm  not saying he's gonna turn out to be a world beater, but I think he's got something about him and could turn out to be a decent player. Needs to learn a lot though, particularly in his positioning, i.e when to help a team mate and come to feet for the ball, and when to make a run. He also needs to get used to playing in front of a load of people under pressure.

True, that should come with a bit of experience and some coaching from a decent ex-striker though.

Not sure where we could send him, a Championship club in the north that plays attacking football.

This time last year could you see Andy Carroll ever getting 10+ Premiership goals in a season?  I thought Carroll was pretty poor as a striker for a good while & thought that he had a better chance developing as a centre half than as a centre forward but he got a great run of games last season and improved massively.

Ranger will not really develop much further without a good run of games and he really needs to go out on loan to a Championship team to improve his game as he's not going to get enough time on the pitch here.

This time last year could you see Andy Carroll ever getting 10+ Premiership goals in a season?  I thought Carroll was pretty poor as a striker for a good while & thought that he had a better chance developing as a centre half than as a centre forward but he got a great run of games last season and improved massively.

Ranger will not really develop much further without a good run of games and he really needs to go out on loan to a Championship team to improve his game as he's not going to get enough time on the pitch here.

Spot on

He's far from ready, but I'm not sure anyone is overrating him. Not seriously anyway. I thought he did very well on what he was fed, and was fucking lightyears ahead of Lovenkrands tonight. Send him out on loan to a moderately local club in LG1 and he'll do well.

Thought he did very well on scraps tbh. Still pretty young too.

This. He was one of the few players who wasn't overwhelmed by Arsenal's movement and pace. In fact he gave them an impressively hard time considering the lack of service due to the over-whelmed midfield.

We could do with somebody coaching him, he's not greedy enough and spends too much time looking to make a pass when he needs to be getting shots in on goal.

Apparently the commentators were saying today that Pedro is training him personally in order to try and improve his finishing/end product.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I thought he was really disappointing tonight.

He did something in the second half that I remember him doing last year, which was really annoying. He made a mistake in their left-back area, mis-controlled a throw-in to him which led to Arsenal going on the attack. Instead of tracking back he then feigned injury, lying on the ground in supposed pain, and then got up and rejoined play when he saw that Arsenal hadn't scored. He was pretty much anonymous from this point on and appeared to not want the ball. Like I said earlier, I distinctly remember him doing this last season and it irked me then. He needs to toughen up. Send him out on loan to League One where he'lll get a kicking every week, I genuinely think it'd be character building for the lad. I like him, but stuff like today's second half is not acceptable and he needs to grow up

He did something in the second half that I remember him doing last year, which was really annoying. He made a mistake in their left-back area, mis-controlled a throw-in to him which led to Arsenal going on the attack. Instead of tracking back he then feigned injury, lying on the ground in supposed pain, and then got up and rejoined play when he saw that Arsenal hadn't scored.

:sadnod:

Thought he was brainless and timid tonight (got involved, but there was always a hesitancy in every aspect of his play - lacked full-bloodedness).

Huddersfield - Division Three meaning tough but easy enough to score and build confidence in? Check. Northern and boring? Check. Attacking? Check. Tyneside sympathies? Check. Decent coaches? Better than most apparently, hopefully check.