KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's bewildering trying to make sense of what is going on but one thing is clear from today's shenanigans: Ashley's position is now extremely tenuous. I would expect him to be seriously considering getting out altogether since it must surely now be clear that whilst the fans were happy he brought KK back, and he's paid off the massive debts incurred by the previous regime, none of that matters to the average Newcastle punter. They don't buy into Ashley's long-term plan...they just think of him as a sinister cockney wideboy with ulterior motives and someone not to be trusted.

Ashley's position is untenable. The credibility of his tenure has been significantly weakened today, if not fatally undermined. How can he possibly come back from this now? Sacking Wise & Vetere might do it as far as some of the fans are concerned, but it would mean the tail (i.e. Keegan) is wagging the dog (Ashley).

i agree with what you are saying, but ultimately he owns the club so can do what he likes. remember dougie hall and shepherd sneaking back onto the board even after what they said. maybe if his actions prove to be so unpopular that he deems it not worth the hassle, but we'll wait and see.

SSN report that Keegan had been telling friends that he had been sacked!

Is the Llambias theory right? ???

Beginning to sound it. Llambias tried to fire KK, KK thought he was gone. Ashley found out and has now tried to get him back.

That would certainly fit what we've seen today, and goodbye Llambias and good riddance!

I'd say Keegan walking out has a lot to do with his comments when milner left, with no replacement coming in he's ended up with egg on his face.

It's not the ideal situation having someone walking out when he doesn't get his own way, someone mentioned earlier that the club hasn't been the same since Mort left and on the surface it seems that there's a lack of communication between everyone at the club.

I'm happy with the set up and the players that have come in have looked quality so far, Keegan needs to take a more active role though and there's no excuse that he shouldn't be out looking at players with the likes of Vetere over the next season.

i think we, the fans, have reacted like f***ing idiots to this myself. we need to stop kneejurking.

However, i will praise the fans at the ground. Good to see them showing support to Keegan.

Hardly think you can slate people for over-reacting on this one. It was on basically every major domestic News outlet.

Heck, I turned on the TV just to get away from this talk and lo and behold, BBC World is running a story on KK leaving all the way over here in South Korea.

This was far form the s*** paper talk we usually get. Something clearly did happen.

i think we, the fans, have reacted like fucking idiots to this myself. we need to stop kneejurking.

However, i will praise the fans at the ground. Good to see them showing support to Keegan.

Aye, but they took it far too far didn't they? Singing 'sack the board' when they hadn't the first idea what the situation was.

Beginning to sound it. Llambias tried to fire KK, KK thought he was gone. Ashley found out and has now tried to get him back.

What's the Llambias theory - I must've missed it................

Guest Howaythetoon

The club haven't sacked him nor do they want him to leave, but the prospect of KK not coming back seems very real. Don't build your hopes up people, I feel tomorrow's news will reveal "regretfully Newcastle United has accepted the resignation of Kevin Keegan with immediate affect" kind of headlines. Obviously something major has went on behind the scenes and this happening so early into his contract doesn't bode well for this setup and KK working together in harmony and even if the club were to be prepared to change the setup which this seemingly groveling statement may suggest, it could be a case of too little too late where KK is concerned.

In KK Ashley has taken on the wrong man (perhaps literally) and likewise I can't see a way back for him and this new setup either so perhaps both sides walking away from Newcastle United may be the best option, especially for fans. I can only speak for myself but after today anything Ashley does from now on will be tainted by today's events both in the minds of the media and fans which could prove hellish for any manager in the hot seat be it KK or any other, doubts will always remain there and that can't be healthy as we've witnessed today.

It is such a crying shame because they picked the right man for Newcastle in any other world. We love him, he loves the club, he's actually a very good manager and if anyone can bring Newcastle to success it is KK.

Right just been ragging the misses for the last hour and a bit. 

So Keegans not sacked but has maybe walked out!  Same fucking thing isn't it?

Who says romance is dead?

Well I could hardly get my groove on watching Shitanta

i think we, the fans, have reacted like f***ing idiots to this myself. we need to stop kneejurking.

I agree if indeed keegan does still have a decision to make they may well have helped in showing how much we want him to stay even if it was a bunch of chavy kids it must of had some sort of impact

Its classic Keegan, he's acted with dignity so far with who knows what going on behind the scenes.

He's the type of guy after making assurances to the fans over transfers and the Milner deal that when things didnt work out he will take the ultimate decision.

However - he knows exactly how popular he is, and if things dont go how he wants, the threat of him leaving is his greatest weapon the current board maybe didnt realise till today. They do now, and if he does stay as manager, he will have a stronger hand than ever before, its maybe exactly what Ashley etc need to get them all pulling in the same direction

What I said was a summing up of the Llambias theory as I understand it.

It's bewildering trying to make sense of what is going on but one thing is clear from today's shenanigans: Ashley's position is now extremely tenuous. I would expect him to be seriously considering getting out altogether since it must surely now be clear that whilst the fans were happy he brought KK back, and he's paid off the massive debts incurred by the previous regime, none of that matters to the average Newcastle punter. They don't buy into Ashley's long-term plan...they just think of him as a sinister cockney wideboy with ulterior motives and someone not to be trusted.

Ashley's position is untenable. The credibility of his tenure has been significantly weakened today, if not fatally undermined. How can he possibly come back from this now? Sacking Wise & Vetere might do it as far as some of the fans are concerned, but it would mean the tail (i.e. Keegan) is wagging the dog (Ashley).

If Keegan comes back and Ashley finds a scapegoat, Llambias, then all is forgiven. If Keegan doesn't come back then Ashley's got a firesale on his hands.

What I said was a summing up of the Llambias theory as I understand it.

Llambias needs to go if the theory's true, regardless of whether or not KK ultimately decides to stay.

Never liked him anyway. Shocked how he hasn't reached out to the fans or made any sort of public statement at all throughout the entire summer. Perhaps we've just been spoiled by Mort.

Its classic Keegan, he's acted with dignity so far with who knows what going on behind the scenes.

He's the type of guy after making assurances to the fans over transfers and the Milner deal that when things didnt work out he will take the ultimate decision.

However - he knows exactly how popular he is, and if things dont go how he wants, the threat of him leaving is his greatest weapon the current board maybe didnt realise till today. They do now, and if he does stay as manager, he will have a stronger hand than ever before, its maybe exactly what Ashley etc need to get them all pulling in the same direction

I love Keegan, but acting with dignity isn't one of his main features.

Agree with what you say about the end result though, maybe the balance of power just needed to be adjusted a bit.

The club haven't sacked him nor do they want him to leave, but the prospect of KK not coming back seems very real. Don't build your hopes up people, I feel tomorrow's news will reveal "regretfully Newcastle United has accepted the resignation of Kevin Keegan with immediate affect" kind of headlines. Obviously something major has went on behind the scenes and this happening so early into his contract doesn't bode well for this setup and KK working together in harmony and even if the club were to be prepared to change the setup which this seemingly groveling statement may suggest, it could be a case of too little too late where KK is concerned.

In KK Ashley has taken on the wrong man (perhaps literally) and likewise I can't see a way back for him and this new setup either so perhaps both sides walking away from Newcastle United may be the best option, especially for fans. I can only speak for myself but after today anything Ashley does from now on will be tainted by today's events both in the minds of the media and fans which could prove hellish for any manager in the hot seat be it KK or any other, doubts will always remain there and that can't be healthy as we've witnessed today.

It is such a crying shame because they picked the right man for Newcastle in any other world. We love him, he loves the club, he's actually a very good manager and if anyone can bring Newcastle to success it is KK.

possibly, but whats sayng these meetings that have happened over the past two days havent sorted things out? kk tells them the terms he'll work with, they cave in and agree? im staying positive until im told otherwise

are people seriously saying they'd go with Wise et al instead of Keegan?

that's beyond f***ed up.

It's not as simple as that though. Obviously I want more than anything for KK to be our manager, but I still think that Ashley and team Wise have done a good job with getting players. What this club lacked was a solid recruitment policy, Ashley has tried to rectify that, with good results so far.

Well said

Wise Jimenez et al have done a good job, and I'd prefer them over McDermott - a waste of effing space, much as I like KK

I'd say Keegan walking out has a lot to do with his comments when milner left, with no replacement coming in he's ended up with egg on his face.

It's not the ideal situation having someone walking out when he doesn't get his own way, someone mentioned earlier that the club hasn't been the same since Mort left and on the surface it seems that there's a lack of communication between everyone at the club.

I'm happy with the set up and the players that have come in have looked quality so far, Keegan needs to take a more active role though and there's no excuse that he shouldn't be out looking at players with the likes of Vetere over the next season.

It's not so much the looking for players. It is him being involved in pursuading them to come here. There is no one better qualified to do that than Kev, he should be involved in that process.

Carnage on betfair forums, was seen as free money, people have lumped 1000s and 1000s on him going thanks to sky sources etc.  ;D ;D well worth a read

neally 400k bet on Keegan being the next manager change on betfair alone.

Guest Howaythetoon
Here we go, then, time to lampoon Kevin Keegan again. Time to repeat that he's a blubby man-child, that from the moment he returned to Newcastle in January he was a tantrum waiting to be thrown. Time to smirk knowingly that this was always going to end in tears. Well, maybe it was, what if his departure, which according to our information has indeed happened though it has not yet been confirmed by the club, wasn't Keegan's fault? What if the cliché isn't true?

One of the underlying causes of the frustration that famously led Keegan to jack in the England job while in the Wembley toilets was that the FA had refused to let him hire Arthur Cox as his right-hand man (on the grounds, according to Keegan, that at 60 Cox was too old). At Newcastle he was able to resume his long and fruitful working relationship with Cox – until last month, that is, when Cox stepped down without public explanation. That was perhaps a sign of how grim the environment was, an environment in which Keegan was undermined not by his own emotional frailty but by a perverse structure that enabled celebrated football guru Denis Wise to exert more influence on the team than him.

Owner Mike Ashley, who has admitted to not knowing the extent of debt he inherited when he bought the club, and who possibly knows more about the intricacies of Jupiter's magnetosphere than he does about football, lured Keegan back with extravagant dreams. They slowly unraveled, revealing a bleak reality. Word is that the two players Newcastle bought yesterday were not the ones Keegan thought the club would pursue when he very reluctantly agreed to last week's sale of James Milner.

Even if Keegan did throw a wobbler during yesterday's board meeting – and there is no indication that he did - would such a reaction not have been justified? What would hurricane hairdryer Sir Alex Ferguson, who once threatened to quit Manchester United if club suits didn't sanction the purchase of Dwight Yorke, have done? What would Rafa Benítez, he of the public strops and regular pops at his employers, have done? Who would Brian Clough have punched? Even newbies like Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, what would they have done? Doesn't nearly every manager have a strategic diva inside them? Keegan may not always have deployed her judiciously, but on this occasion an outing would have been well in order. Hell, even the club's famously faithful fans have become exasperated, as proved by the 5,000 empty seats in their only home game of this season.

In addition to sniggers about his sensitivity, the other gibe chucked at Keegan when he took charge eight months ago was that, having been out of serious football for the previous three years (his soccer circus doesn't quite cut it, apparently), he couldn't possibly know how things have moved on; he would, mocked the mockers, be blissfully, idiotically unaware that his juvenile idealism was even less likely to succeed now than before.

The notion that he was the man to shore up Newcastle's notoriously feeble defence was openly ridiculed. And yet, shore it up he gradually did, even though arch-pragmatist Sam Allardyce couldn't. He also started to wring decent performances from Geremi, Nicky Butt and, of course, Michael Owen, none of whom he bought but all of whom improved under him. He started to grind out results; he exposed the patronising bilge. His record of six wins in 21 matches is nothing to boast about but those victories, and impressive draws such as this season's opener at Old Trafford, all came after a bad start. There were clear signs, then, that, unlike under Allardyce, Newcastle were getting better. But no, it turns out Ashley is making them worse.

In KK Ashley has taken on the wrong man (perhaps literally) and likewise I can't see a way back for him and this new setup either so perhaps both sides walking away from Newcastle United may be the best option, especially for fans.

Good point. I think Keegan's the last man you p*ss off in football, and in Ashley, KK's probably picked on the one man who you don't try what he did with Hall 15 years back. Clash in personalities I think.

Guest mobiius

absolutely  creased at the 2 Nancy boys on ssn trying to analyze what has been said by the club so they can save a bit of face. Its like i said in an earlier post i believe that this has all come about to take the heat off the Berbatov 2 manure shenanigans. who ever says there is not a genuine dislike of newcastle by the media  needs to get their heads out the sand and smell the coffee.